Southgate gives initial approval for development at the Beverly Hills Supper Club site.

Southgate Approves Initial Development Agreement for Project at Beverly Hills Site

"The 80-acre mixed-use residential development, proposed by the Edgewood-based Ashley Builders Group, will include an assisted living center, high-end apartments, a mix of single-family homes and cottages, as well as a permanent memorial honoring the victims of the 1977 supper club fire."

I've got a feeling there will be a decent faction of folks who are going to take issue with the site being developed at all, but I think developing the site while still having a permanent memorial - so long as it does justice as a memorial to the 165 people who died there - is a good idea for the city of Southgate.

I don't know that high-end apartments are necessarily the way to go, though. Seems to me that this is prime real-estate for patio homes.

And the article quotes Ashley Development as saying, "Although the development agreement does have some specifics on what would be included in [the memorial], for the exact design, we are going to work with community groups that have been involved."

"Some specifics" sounds like "costs not to exceed" to me.

Some serious competition on the luxury apartment genre these days. Although I'm guessing those at the Banks are mostly full, I don't know. A bunch of new ones just opened up on the Covington Riverfront, some with a view that is AWESOME.

I agree patio homes may have been a better choice, but what do I know.

How this development is handled/received is going to be very interesting. As there should be, a lot of emotion is still involved 40 years later. One of the worst tragedies in modern history happened in NKY that night. I mean, that's a lot of people.

Some serious competition on the luxury apartment genre these days. Although I'm guessing those at the Banks are mostly full, I don't know. A bunch of new ones just opened up on the Covington Riverfront, some with a view that is AWESOME.

I agree patio homes may have been a better choice, but what do I know.

How this development is handled/received is going to be very interesting. As there should be, a lot of emotion is still involved 40 years later. One of the worst tragedies in modern history happened in NKY that night. I mean, that's a lot of people.

I still have a hard time comprehending how that many souls were lost in a fire. Simply unreal.

I still have a hard time comprehending how that many souls were lost in a fire. Simply unreal.

I likely exaggerated, calling it one of the worst tragedies in modern history. Globally and nationally we've seen a lot. It's not like this was Chernobyl. But, Kentucky had two huge tragedies in about 11 years that changed laws around the globe. This was one of them, as fire laws changed drastically as a result. The bus crash in 88 was the other. Changed DUI laws and changed the way school buses are designed forever.

Yea, no way something like the Beverly Hills Supper Club happens today given fire code regulations and the fear of being sued. Just crazy that it happened, also hard to imagine a place in Northern Kentucky as having been a tri-state hot spot.

Yea, no way something like the Beverly Hills Supper Club happens today given fire code regulations and the fear of being sued. Just crazy that it happened, also hard to imagine a place in Northern Kentucky as having been a tri-state hot spot.

There is a long history of N. Ky. being a "tri-state hot spot" starting with the Newport sin city era and moving forward from there.

There is a long history of N. Ky. being a "tri-state hot spot" starting with the Newport sin city era and moving forward from there.

Yes but the Newport sin city era died out a long time ago, perhaps finally with the Beverly Hills Supper Club I suppose. Newport on the Levee, Main Strauss etc have never seemed to be that big of a deal compared to the storied Newport history from the 1920's through the 1970's.

As a teenager, I went to a few dances at the Beverly Hills Supper Club. I actually have a set of silverware that I accidentally took home. I was an NKU nursing student when I watched in horror when that place burned down.

I love to see that someone is finally moving forward to develop that land. It is time to move on. I don’t know the specifics about the development, but I hope it is not about “cramming as many people as you can” in one place. That would be ironic.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

You had to be there. Very different time. It was an unfortunate combination of a great showplace, confusing hallways and quite literally, fire doors chained shut to prevent people from sneaking in. I went on a date there once for a show, when suddenly, two more chairs were shoved in by us to accommodate more people. It was jammed packed, but no one thought much about it.

In hindsight, it was the perfect storm. Fortunately, a lot was learned from that. Fire saftey everywhere was made better after that.