Bengals Free Agency

I know there is a lot other bigger issues we are facing in the world today. However, I felt like there should be an actual thread on this.

The Bengals for once were actually pretty big players in free agency this year. Adding three new players to the secondary, a new linebacker, and a big defensive tackle. All these players are known for how good they are against the run. Which is huge for this division and facing Lamar Jackson twice a year.

The majority of these players are also still young. Meaning the Bengals are taking steps to build this roster up not just for this year, but also for years two and three in Burrows career. Much like how the Bengals put together one of the best rosters in football by Daltons their season in 2013.

The most important thing this does though, is it truly allows the Bengals to go best player available in the draft. It most likely will have a focus on the offensive side of the ball. However, by not having as many needs. They can get back to best player available, which allows for a much better chance at hitting on a draft pick. Rather than reaching to fill a need when they took Billy Price.

Missed that. What is the scoop on him?

I could be wrong as I'm trying to go off of memory from an article I read, but I think was a starter in Arizona for a few years and then played with Baltimore for a couple. Was mostly a backup in Baltimore, but his PFF rating was higher than everyone on the Bengals last year. I think Vigil was the highest in the upper 50's and Bynes was in the 70's.

I could be wrong as I'm trying to go off of memory from an article I read, but I think was a starter in Arizona for a few years and then played with Baltimore for a couple. Was mostly a backup in Baltimore, but his PFF rating was higher than everyone on the Bengals last year. I think Vigil was the highest in the upper 50's and Bynes was in the 70's.

Bengals need another LB.

He started off his career as a backup linebacker and more of a special teams guy. He has been a starting linebacker the last three years and according to PFF has graded between 70 and 80 the last three years. He was graded as the 14th best linebacker in football two years ago and was graded as the top free agent linebacker by PFF this year. He is known to be really good against the run, and decent against the pass.

To put things in perspective the best linebacker last year for the Bengals graded our at 54% by PFF and Bynes has been between 70 and 80 the last three seasons.

So it was a very solid pickup for the Bengals to go along with Pratt. Now as you mentioned they still need another one, because they need depth. Look them to add one in the draft.

I’m really fired up guys about my Bengs!!!!! With the additions they’ve made on D I’d just about bet my house they go receiver with the 2nd pick!! What does everybody else think??

Linebacker or offensive line are more important than WR. WR is deep in this draft so there will a good WR available later.

Linebacker or offensive line are more important than WR. WR is deep in this draft so there will a good WR available later.

It all depends what is available. There is a good chance there won’t be a LB, OL available that is worth the value of the top 2nd round pick. Which in that case they should look to trade back. However, if they can’t and a WR like Mims is the best player available. I much rather them take him, than reach just to fill a need like they did with Price.

It all depends what is available. There is a good chance there won’t be a LB, OL available that is worth the value of the top 2nd round pick. Which in that case they should look to trade back. However, if they can’t and a WR like Mims is the best player available. I much rather them take him, than reach just to fill a need like they did with Price.

Historically the second round pick has been good for the Bengals. They have often taken the value pick versus a reach in round 2.

Historically the second round pick has been good for the Bengals. They have often taken the value pick versus a reach in round 2.

Agreed, and hopefully there truly is a LB or OL there that falls that they can take at that pick, that would be worth it at that spot.