Berea Head Coaching Job Open Again.

LoneRanger

Has there been any official word about whether Berea will compete in district play next season? I know the alignment had them in a District with Lynn Camp, Williamsburg, Campbellsville and Clinton County.

If they will not compete for the District, who would they potentially play in place of these teams?

Madison Southern (in Berea) usually has a decent football program. Many times, Berea kids will go to Southern in order to play football. That makes it doubly hard for Berea to build anything substantial.

This would imply that students from public schools attend other public schools outside their respective districts for athletic purposes; we all know this to be untrue.

This would imply that students from public schools attend other public schools outside their respective districts for athletic purposes; we all know this to be untrue.

We know it to be about as untrue as a public school kids being recruited to attend private schools, independent schools or the fact that some athletes will attempt to also go to schools with successful programs without any outside influence even if they are out of district.

:fight: PLEASE DO NOT HI-JACK THIS THREAD ON THIS TOPIC!!!!:fight:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. I know this situation quite well and I would estimate that in the last 15 years there have been few if any instances of this happening and the few I can think of the kid was at the respective school to begin his 9th grade year.

Take this Dead Horse somewhere else!:madman:

I made the comment earlier and I'll retract now. I didn't imply anything illegal; I meant people chose to live in or out of the district for football purposes. Nothing illegal about that. I'm no longer on the thread, either. Get back to talking about Berea football.

:fight: PLEASE DO NOT HI-JACK THIS THREAD ON THIS TOPIC!!!!:fight:

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread. I know this situation quite well and I would estimate that in the last 15 years there have been few if any instances of this happening and the few I can think of the kid was at the respective school to begin his 9th grade year.

Take this Dead Horse somewhere else!:madman:

Berea Community School is not the type of school to lure students in for athletic reasons, more than likely because athletics has never been a priority for the small school. The only time the school was overly successful in a sport was in the late 90's when Greg Todd coached girl's b-ball there before going to Lexington Catholic.

Berea Independent is a K-12 school and probably 95% of the kids that are in high school, started going there when they were in elementary school.

By being an Independent school, Berea can draw a good size radius of the area stretching into Richmond, Garrard County, and Rockcastle County. They have not abused this and like I said before, majority of the kids live in Berea and have went through the school system thier whole scholastic life.

The only instances I know of kids transfering into the Berea school system were because of a dispute at Madison Southern. If that student was an athlete, then they sat out a year for transferring.

Taking the head football job isn't about Berea being able to "attract" student-athletes. IMO, it is about Berea being a coach's graveyard. I am not sure if Muller, Beatty, Harp, or any other top coaches in the state could garner success there.

I really hope that things work out for the kids in Berea that want to play football. I was impressed with their no quit attitude and for that they are "Winners" in my book. Hopefully someone will care enough about the kids to keep the program running.

I agree cville. When we (Raceland) have played them when there was an obvious mis match the Berea kids did not quit. That fact alone showed me that there is a desire for football there. I have friend from h.s. that worked at the college there and was told that all the school administration at Berea cared about as far as athletics go was soccer. I was told that school officials would just as soon see the football program over and done with. The kids and coaches for football get no support. I would hope that the parents of the kids that want to play football and ones in the community that support this can band together and get something done. I know the last time I was in Berea for a football game all that we saw was soccer fields everywhere it seemed. That is fine but what about the kids that want to play other sports? I didn't mean to get on a soap box but it really gets me when kids do not get support from the school.

I made the comment earlier and I'll retract now. I didn't imply anything illegal; I meant people chose to live in or out of the district for football purposes. Nothing illegal about that. I'm no longer on the thread, either. Get back to talking about Berea football.

Nothing meant towards you, Only Ice Cold Vengeance and Barrel.

I saw nothing in your post that would have keyed anyone into posting unless they had a pre-arranged agenda. I apologize if I implied you gchs_uk9.

• 2 weeks later...

As for Coach Mills I have not heard anything about his plans. I did hear that he was going to work with some kids in the weight room.

This may be old news, but it has been confirmed that Berea will not participate in district play in 07 & 08.

It would be good for the kids and the program to get things done as soon as possible. Plus out of respect for Coach Mills, allow him to move on with what ever direction he choses to take.

I don't look for them to move to swiftly though...

I've known Coach Mills for about 20 yrs now, as a player and coach. I cant think of a more motivated individual that could have took the position than him. I've seen what the weight room looked liked before he was there and after and saw the gleam of a future in his eyes and voice. But when you go to Berea you, as a coach, have the cards stacked against you because it seems that the admin doesnt want a solid tradition which has to be built but instead they want instant "w's" in the left collumn. I know the community because of immediate family. The admin needs to wake up and quit releasing coaches faster than they can hire them. "Rome wasn't built in a day". Good luck to Coach Mills. Let us here at Estill know where you end up.

• 2 weeks later...