Former Cooper Standout Michael Spencer commits to Vanderbilt

Mr. Sixer

Former Cooper HS standout Michael Spencer has committed to Vanderbilt. Michael spent last season at The Taft School in Connecticut which is a prep school giving him another year of development where he was named 1st team All-Conference and had multiple D1 offers at the completion of the season.

Michael becomes only the 2nd player to go on to play D1 football from Cooper. Congrats to Michael and great news for Cooper and NKY.

Thanks for posting this, @Mr. Sixer. I remember Michael from the BCPWFL Knights. I think that was when he was in 4th grade. He had such a great competitive spirit. I remember a game against the Chargers that went into overtime. Michael, at RB, willed his team to victory. He would not be denied on the goal line. Great kid.

Of course, he became a fine young man playing the game for the Cooper Jaguars. He and his family are first class people. He also was a heck of a defensive basketball player in H.S. Prior to that he did the circuit on AAU teams. He is an athlete. If I remember correctly, his father played D-Line at Alabama.

Looks like it was a good move to go to Prep school. He actually graduated a year before kids his same age. His family moved him a head a grade at some point early on. He was a smart kid. He was on the Quick Recall team in middle school. I'm guessing a year at prep school allowed him to mature into that long body.

As I say, a class act. I will be happy for him with whatever success comes his way.