Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lopsided scores

Featured Replies

I will not mention any names but what about some of these scores. Go to the KHSAA scoreboard to see these scores: 115/27, 74/18, 80/25, 68/18.

 

I have been involved w/a pretty good AAU team that played some bad teams but when you call off the press, make your team run thru the offense and make so many passes before shooting, not taking a layup but shooting the jumper no fast breaks all make the score a little more respectable not to humiliate the other kids.

 

I know this is high school and not church league games but these are still kids. I realize they need to learn that life is not a bowl of cherry's and there has to be a winner and loser but come on coaches, 115 to 27, that is uncalled for. You do what you need to do in the beginning w/the starters but the subs need the experience. Granted I did not witness any of the mentioned scores but how good or bad are these teams?

 

When will there be a mercy rule put into affect for bball like they have in football? I have heard there is talk but talk only, OPINIONS?

Interesting thread. I look forward to the discussion.

 

I agree with your approach during a big win...make it a profitable practice session...get something out of it...work on the best things, not just easy scoring opportunities.

I was not at any of these games, and do not believe it is fair to comment as to whether any of these coaches were intentionally trying to "drill" these teams, or see how high they could score. There are times where you cannot help some things. However, I have seen instances where a coach shows no respect for another team, or IMO, the game itself. I am not in favor of a mercy rule, but I wish there would be more "class" in some coaches. This would eliminate the need for that rule.

  • Author

No comment made about "intentionally" trying to "drill" any team. The point was that there are ways for a team not to "drill" another team where to not humiliate the kids. Some of the programs that got drilled probably have trouble getting kids interested to play since they get drilled night after night. If you get drilled night after night it is not much fun and hard to convince kids to play, it can ruin a program.

 

I was not at any of the games either but I can picture how they went. A lot of fast breaks and layups I would have to guess along w/man to man in your face pressure, that is not necessary, IMO!

 

Scores like the ones mentioned shows no respect for the other coach, the other players and their program. So, I guess we agree to a point.

3pt. I definetly agree with you. Just last night I watched a girls Frosh game in which one team was simply superior to the other. After 1 quarter the better was told not to fast break, and only play D inside the arc. They did continue to run their half court offense. The better team won by a comfortable margin, but at no time was their a feeling of humiliation for the other team. I have a feeling whoever scored 115 pts did not exactly play along these same guidelines. That at one time or another will come back to bite them. You know what they say about paybacks.

3pt. you are exactly right here , these are just kids and I can see how some of them don't want to continue in the sport when they feel like they are so far behind. There are lots of options a coach can do to keep the score fairly close.

In one game we had last season I asked the ref and score keeper to quit keeping score on our side. After the first 5 minutes I only allowed my team to shoot 3 pointers and only after the ball went into the post twice. We were playing token defense and no fast breaks or pressure. The opposing coach noticed after a few shots that they were not adding to our score and was irate saying we were not helping his team at all letting them think they were as good as the score showed, so he made the score keeper and ref continue to add up our score. We ended up winning 103-47. We simply made about every shot we took ( just a lucky night I guess). My point is the opposing parents were very mad and we did everything but hold the ball for the game and their coach wanted the score up there. So there are instances where the score may be lopsided and we just don't know the whole story. But there are also coaches who allow their team to continue to press when they are up by 40. I would like to see some type of mercy rule and also a shot clock for high school. AAU has a 30 second shot clock which is ok for that , but I would like to see high school have a 45 second clock. I think this would prepare them better for the next level!!

My suggestion would be not to schedule teams that are way more superior. High school basketball doesnt need a shot clock and it doesnt need a mercy rule. If your team isnt very talented than dont schedule those teams that are way better

My suggestion would be not to schedule teams that are way more superior. High school basketball doesnt need a shot clock and it doesnt need a mercy rule. If your team isnt very talented than dont schedule those teams that are way better

 

Some districts require home and away for seeding tournaments so there isn't a way around scheduling inferior teams in some cases.

  • Author

Exactly right Ranger. It is amazing how many people comment w/out knowing all the facts. Most districts seed for the tournament and require a home/away game. I know one of the teams in my area scratched a few district teams realizing they would get killed but agreed to take the last seed in the district. This also allows the better to schedule a better opponent to get them ready for tournament play.

 

I would think most coaches would try to schedule teams they can play w/to a point, some scheduling can not be helped.

 

I like the shot clock idea and the mercy rule myself.

Exactly right Ranger. It is amazing how many people comment w/out knowing all the facts. Most districts seed for the tournament and require a home/away game. I know one of the teams in my area scratched a few district teams realizing they would get killed but agreed to take the last seed in the district. This also allows the better to schedule a better opponent to get them ready for tournament play.

 

I would think most coaches would try to schedule teams they can play w/to a point, some scheduling can not be helped.

 

I like the shot clock idea and the mercy rule myself.

How about a running clock?

As someone who has been on both sides of the types of scores listed above I want to add my 2 cents. Being on the short end of score, most of the time it was our team that caused the other team to continue to score, meaning that we kept throwing them the ball even when they had backed off to half court then inside the arc and at times we'd have kids not get back and/or allow the other team to score lay-ups. I don't want any coach to tell his kids not to play hard as his/her subs deserve the opportunity to practice how they will play, to a degree. As someone who has been on the larger end of the stick, when we back off to half, then inside the arc and the other team continues to throw the ball directly to our players, or doesn't go after rebounds or loose balls, doesn't even stand in the key to stop dribble penetration or cutters then it's not our fault for the score.

 

I do the like the idea of a mercy rule running clock in the second half where if a team is up by some astronomical number the clock runs continuously except for time outs. I wouldn't place that number below 30 as there are time when a team can mount a comeback if the deficit is under 30.

I too have been on the short end of a lopsided score (more than once!) and there are different feelings associated with some of them. For instance, the late "Hop" Brown at West Carter could beat you by 50 and you NEVER felt as though he was running the score up. He called off the press and his subs were just superior to our team. There have been other times when the referee has stated that he would end the press. He simply kept calling fouls until the opposing coach called off the dogs. Sometimes, because of conferences and seeding issues a mismatch cannot be helped, but there is never a reason to humiliate a kid.

seen one of those in high school. Our girls beat a team from Lexington 115-13. We were just that superior to them. Played them again later in the year, and the starters barely saw any action, still won by a large margin.

I too have been on the short end of a lopsided score (more than once!) and there are different feelings associated with some of them. For instance, the late "Hop" Brown at West Carter could beat you by 50 and you NEVER felt as though he was running the score up. He called off the press and his subs were just superior to our team. There have been other times when the referee has stated that he would end the press. He simply kept calling fouls until the opposing coach called off the dogs. Sometimes, because of conferences and seeding issues a mismatch cannot be helped, but there is never a reason to humiliate a kid.

 

Excellant post. :thumb:

A middle school team once dressed and played their managers to stay away from a blowout.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.