Ryle 10 Highlands 3 (Frosh)

jbwil00

Ok if games are still going on then how can Ryle be champions? Can someone please clarify.

I don’t believe there is a NKY Frosh championship format, but I could be wrong. Ryle beat everyone in NKY on their schedule and I believe Cov has multiple losses, so the “NKY Championship” is implied. As someone has pointed out, Beechwood is also undefeated. If they beat Highlands, then they should find a way to play and settle things. I guess we’ll know more after this week’s game.

On a side note, Beechwood’s youth team tried to settle a NKYFL championship with a coin flip over Ryle’s youth team. When they finally played, it was a running clock before half in Ryle’s favor; hence, my coin flip joke.

I don’t believe there is a NKY Frosh championship format, but I could be wrong. Ryle beat everyone in NKY on their schedule and I believe Cov has multiple losses, so the “NKY Championship” is implied. As someone has pointed out, Beechwood is also undefeated. If they beat Highlands, then they should find a way to play and settle things. I guess we’ll know more after this week’s game.

On a side note, Beechwood’s youth team tried to settle a NKYFL championship with a coin flip over Ryle’s youth team. When they finally played, it was a running clock before half in Ryle’s favor; hence, my coin flip joke.

Beechwood doesn’t have a youth team in the NKYFL. They lost to NCC in the medium school middle school championship. I think NCC was the only team to beat them this year.

Beechwood doesn’t have a youth team in the NKYFL. They lost to NCC in the medium school middle school championship. I think NCC was the only team to beat them this year.

He’s talking about the Spartans. He’s been lobbing “inside jokes” and full blown shots on here for months aimed at the NKYFL and Spartans. Sadly, just another case of someone speaking without either understanding rules and by-laws (that his org/director voted on) or choosing not to care.

Either way, can we stop?

Congrats on a great season in Union! All of us in Ft. Mitchell applaud your accomplishments this season and beyond. You really have a special organization. Don’t tarnish it with this stuff.

The "Northern Kentucky Freshman Football Championship" has been a point of contention around NKY basically since teams started having the "championship" back in the mid-80s. There were usually 1 or 2 teams from around the region with undefeated records, and they would schedule to play one another to cap off the season. The inherent problem is that at least one out of every 4 or 5 seasons there end up being multiple freshman teams that finish with undefeated records, so the whole "NKY regional champion" title only holds until someone actually examines it critically.

It would ideally be pretty great to see an actual regional tournament to establish a true winner, but there are a lot of factors at play prohibiting it from being realistic, although with a total of 20 high school football programs in Kenton, Campbell, and Boone County, that would make for a pretty major undertaking. Some programs are occasionally hit or miss with whether they field a freshman football team each year, and I believe some in NKY go with the froshmore concept now instead. Lots of teams are also trying to move talented freshman players up to JV and varsity towards the beginning of the playoffs, when a theoretical freshman tournament would be taking place. Even if you did it based on the best records in the region, you'd still have a 3-week tournament just with 8 teams.

Regardless, congratulations to the Ryle freshman team on finishing the season undefeated.