Cats’ Pause 9th Region Top Teams and Players

I watched Cincy Swish, with TWO NKY 8th graders, drill that Fusion team several months ago. Please don't create situations where to debate them looks like you are being negative about a freaking 13 year old. No one wants to do that, but when you make outrageous claims, they are going to force people to actually take the counter-point. Why the need for superlatives? Instead of "the top 8th grader in NKY", why not "one of the best..." In my opinion, it is far from clear-cut. Fusion is a nice program, and I know they have tried to get the two NKY'ers from Cincy Swish (that is a REALLY good team, by the way), but again, no need for the hyperbolic superlatives.

I hope Kayla, and ALL of the girls listed, have amazing years and stay healthy and reach their full potential.

Where was that game at? We didn't get a chance to play them. You are correct the 2 NKY kids on that team are very good.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say beating KYP 2024 at the classic beating 2 of Indiana Flights 2024's at the Bearcat. Loosing to a very good Hollywood Eagles Team (Florida) in the championship of USAB in Tenn. Competing at the Nike Nationals in Chicago in the top division of 2024. loosing to Alabama Southern Stars top 2024 team in Atalanta at The Nationals by only a few points as well as a 3 point loss to Indiana Flights top 2024 team . I would say that a pretty tough schedule. I'm not debating top kids in the state at an 8th grade level I've been doing this way to long for that but I will put our schedule up against any in the country. Oh any there is no closed Nike or UA or Adidas tournaments for 2024 everyone is welcome at all.

I had a good exchange with UCME, and if I took this thread in a direction that was negative, I apologize. I'm probably hyper-critical of putting kids on pedestals, and thus forcing a dissenter to come across negative, so that jumps out at me a lot. Just let kids be good, have fun, enjoy the game, and let's worry about rankings and such when they are a little older.

Dave, I thought it was Fusion that played Swish that I watched at Landmark or GE, and if I had that wrong, I apologize. I watch too many games in those ages, I admit, and so many of the teams sound similar, so if I had that wrong, again, I wholly apologize. However, where I thought I watched that game was one of the hot-boxes up north, Landmark or GE.

Girls: love the game, stay healthy, have fun, play hard, and us adults will sit back, enjoy the journey, and be supportive of all of you!

We need more girls loving the game, not less, and I'm passionate about that.

I had a good exchange with UCME, and if I took this thread in a direction that was negative, I apologize. I'm probably hyper-critical of putting kids on pedestals, and thus forcing a dissenter to come across negative, so that jumps out at me a lot. Just let kids be good, have fun, enjoy the game, and let's worry about rankings and such when they are a little older.

Dave, I thought it was Fusion that played Swish that I watched at Landmark or GE, and if I had that wrong, I apologize. I watch too many games in those ages, I admit, and so many of the teams sound similar, so if I had that wrong, again, I wholly apologize. However, where I thought I watched that game was one of the hot-boxes up north, Landmark or GE.

Girls: love the game, stay healthy, have fun, play hard, and us adults will sit back, enjoy the journey, and be supportive of all of you!

We need more girls loving the game, not less, and I'm passionate about that.

Deuce, That wasn't us so apology accepted! As for CHAZ let's talk about you have my number. To make a statement that Fusion could never have top ten player in the state is very bold. I'm not saying we will or we have just to say that is kinda nuts so let's talk about it.

Any middle schoolers who will see Varsity action like Kay at Cooper last year? Will her sister or Logan be able to play way up this year as 8th graders? Anyone else?

Watching Logan play as a 6th and 7th grader I have to say that she would see significant time at the varsity level. I believe the younger Freihofer is really good too but the Cooper varsity roster is very guard heavy so finding playing time may be tough.

Maybe this is a topic for a separate thread, if a middle school-er is good enough to play varsity basketball then by all means they should be pulled up but what about 7th or 8th graders pulled up just to play freshman? Thoughts?

Maybe this is a topic for a separate thread, if a middle school-er is good enough to play varsity basketball then by all means they should be pulled up but what about 7th or 8th graders pulled up just to play freshman? Thoughts?

If they're going to start and play a majority of the games, why not? Playing against older competition is only going to make them better. 8th grade basketball, at least across NKY, is pretty weak considering the top players are playing up into high school. Therefore, they're not going to get much out of middle school ball.

If they're going to start and play a majority of the games, why not? Playing against older competition is only going to make them better. 8th grade basketball, at least across NKY, is pretty weak considering the top players are playing up into high school. Therefore, they're not going to get much out of middle school ball.

Valid point. Guess you could argue they are also getting better coaching and acclimated to the culture;

Next question... what do you do with Juniors and Seniors who are beat out by freshman and 8th graders for playing time?

Valid point. Guess you could argue they are also getting better coaching and acclimated to the culture;

Next question... what do you do with Juniors and Seniors who are beat out by freshman and 8th graders for playing time?

Typically they quit I think that's the reason we have large schools with 1 or 2 seniors for senior night. Although most of our girls are "playing up" not a huge fan. Ohio and Indiana don't allow it seems to work out pretty well for them.

Hummm you may want to educate yourself before speaking. Even better call me so we can discuss (859) 743-5453 Jason Litz

Huh? No idea what your saying? Are you wanting to educate me privately on girls exposure basketball? Why? Educate all of us. Or are you upset and want to fight or something? I don’t understand. In addition I never said Nike or UA have inclusive only tourneys for 2024s, I said that starts when older.

You drop info that a NKY girl is a top 10 8th grader in the state. Here are the last 10 years of NKY girls widely considered top 10 in the state-

Leah Schaefer Highlands then Xavier

Nikki Keirnan NCC then Thomas More

Deja Turner HCross then Wright State

Ally Niece SK then NKU

Lexi Held Cooper then DePaul

Lauren Schwartz Ryle then Rice

Maddie Scherr Ryle then Oregon

Seven girls, ten years. You want to put this local girl in this group and support your conclusion by saying she starts at Villa and plays on a local (traveling outside the state does not make Fusion a National team. Players from multiple states could use that term I guess.)

There’s no chance you’ve seen the best 2024s around Kentucky yet. I would wager there are at least ten 2024 ky girls playing up in Premier, Gym Rats and Thunder. I would highly doubt the top 8th graders around Ky are playing their age right now. Let alone playing their age on a local NKY travel team.

HOWEVER, I’ve never seen Unkraut play so who knows, maybe she’s 6’ tall and a super athlete that dominates. Although I would think I would have heard of her before now. Maybe she is a shoe in D1 recruit, like the other top 10 girls. And Unkraut will be getting headlines in the near future.

I’m sure Fusion is a fine program. I’ve heard good things. But don’t be unrealistic because you play for the program. Winning games vs Premier or Flight teams means nothing. If your honest you will be open about the divisions teams like Fusion play in vs the top Nike or UA teams. Maybe the shift hasn’t hit you hard yet but I didn’t speak anything that’s untrue.

I agree with Duece, a better approach to the 8th graders would be to list several who are tops and let the next few years play out. You can’t be upset with others if your going to make an extreme claim about a girl so young.

Edited by Chaz
Spelling

Huh? No idea what your saying? Are you wanting to educate me privately on girls exposure basketball? Why? Educate all of us. Or are you upset and want to fight or something? I don’t understand. In addition I never said Nike or UA have inclusive only tourneys for 2024s, I said that starts when older.

You drop info that a NKY girl is a top 10 8th grader in the state. Here are the last 10 years of NKY girls widely considered top 10 in the state-

Leah Schaefer Highlands then Xavier

Nikki Keirnan NCC then Thomas More

Deja Turner HCross then Wright State

Ally Niece SK then NKU

Lexi Held Cooper then DePaul

Lauren Schwartz Ryle then Rice

Maddie Scherr Ryle then Oregon

Seven girls, ten years. You want to put this local girl in this group and support your conclusion by saying she starts at Villa and plays on a local (traveling outside the state does not make Fusion a National team. Players from multiple states could use that term I guess.)

There’s no chance you’ve seen the best 2024s around Kentucky yet. I would wager there are at least ten 2024 ky girls playing up in Premier, Gym Rats and Thunder. I would highly doubt the top 8th graders around Ky are playing their age right now. Let alone playing their age on a local NKY travel team.

HOWEVER, I’ve never seen Unkraut play so who knows, maybe she’s 6’ tall and a super athlete that dominates. Although I would think I would have heard of her before now. Maybe she is a shoe in D1 recruit, like the other top 10 girls. And Unkraut will be getting headlines in the near future.

I’m sure Fusion is a fine program. I’ve heard good things. But don’t be unrealistic because you play for the program. Winning games vs Premier or Flight teams means nothing. If your honest you will be open about the divisions teams like Fusion play in vs the top Nike or UA teams. Maybe the shift hasn’t hit you hard yet but I didn’t speak anything that’s untrue.

I agree with Duece, a better approach to the 8th graders would be to list several who are tops and let the next few years play out. You can’t be upset with others if your going to make an extreme claim about a girl so young.

First off I didn't put anyone anywhere I never said a word until you questioned my teams schedule. All UCME said was one of the top 8th graders and you start with local team don't play anyone crap. I've been doing this a long time I dont try to rank players in the state at the 8th grade level I will tell you shes pretty damn good. So is Julia Hunt and Anna Hamilton.

The "Enquirer" released their pre-season All Northern Kentucky girls basketball team. Not a lot of surprises, but here is their list:

Maddie Scherr -- Ryle

Brie Crittendon -- Ryle

Mya Meredith -- Scott (not in the 9th, obviously)

Maggie Jones -- Simon Kenton (also not in the 9th)

Celia Pelfrey -- Dixie

Get Access

I'm not suggesting that I know more than people who run the Enquirer... but Pelfrey isn't even the best player on her team, let alone a top 5 player in NKY. In fact, she's honestly probably not the second best player on her team. That smells a little fishy to have her on this list.

I'm not suggesting that I know more than people who run the Enquirer... but Pelfrey isn't even the best player on her team, let alone a top 5 player in NKY. In fact, she's honestly probably not the second best player on her team. That smells a little fishy to have her on this list.

In fairness, the "Cats' Pause" had her 3rd in the 9th, so they both appear to be in lock-step. Now, they both may be wrong, I'm not suggesting you're off-base, just that both publications are in basic agreement.

In fairness, the "Cats' Pause" had her 3rd in the 9th, so they both appear to be in lock-step. Now, they both may be wrong, I'm not suggesting you're off-base, just that both publications are in basic agreement.

Yeah, true and fair. I personally just don't see it. I saw a bunch of Dixie last year and saw her play this Summer a few times. I just think Dixie has two players on their roster more impressive. Definitely if you consider them after Lawson comes back.