Pikeville 22 Belfry 21

ATLCat

When was the last Pikeville victory over Belfry?

Pikeville won three straight from 1998-2000. Since then, Belfry has owned the series, winning 17 of the last 19. Pikeville's only wins were in 2014 and this year. Belfry leads the all-time series 38-25-2.

If Pikeville wasn’t the favorite in 1A before they certainly are now.

Pikeville has been number one in 1A all year. They started the year as an overwhelming favorite. The last two weeks versus Paintsville and Raceland put big question marks on that viewpoint. After looking at the game flow here and what happened, in my mind this game and the result is more of a big red flag for Belfry than a move of Pikeville up to an elite status.

So in your opinion Pikeville is not as strong as they appear Belfry is just down a little.

That is my takeaway from Pikeville's resume. Look beyond this game. Close games versus Paintsville and Raceland. To this point Raceland does not look as strong as usual at 2-2 with a blowout loss to Russell and no above average wins. Before last night, I am sure Belfry fans would say they would beat Raceland similar to what Russell did. Pikeville only beats Raceland 12-6. Pikeville is clearly #1 in 1A and the still the favorite to win 1A. This game surely gets my attention as an indicator that Pikeville has learned from the last two weeks and is now trending up.

On the Belfry side, look at how the game played out. Belfry is surely saying they made way too many mistakes in a game they should have won by at least 2 touchdowns. I have no doubt Belfry would like to put on the pads and play Pikeville again tonight.

Former SCOTUS Justice Potter once said he could not define what “obscenity” was, but “he knew it when he saw it.” Well, I’ve been watching high school football for 35 years and I know really good teams when I see them, and Pikeville is a really good team.

That is my takeaway from Pikeville's resume. Look beyond this game. Close games versus Paintsville and Raceland. To this point Raceland does not look as strong as usual at 2-2 with a blowout loss to Russell and no above average wins. Before last night, I am sure Belfry fans would say they would beat Raceland similar to what Russell did. Pikeville only beats Raceland 12-6. Pikeville is clearly #1 in 1A and the still the favorite to win 1A. This game surely gets my attention as an indicator that Pikeville has learned from the last two weeks and is now trending up.

On the Belfry side, look at how the game played out. Belfry is surely saying they made way too many mistakes in a game they should have won by at least 2 touchdowns. I have no doubt Belfry would like to put on the pads and play Pikeville again tonight.

You may very well be right but it wouldn’t surprise me to see either one of these teams win the state championship in their respective classes.