Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bellarmine to Division 1

Featured Replies

Men and Women: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field

Men: Baseball, Lacrosse, Wrestling

Women: Softball, Field Hockey, Volleyball

 

No idea if they are all going.

 

My son wrestles at Bellarmine, and it's my understanding all sports will be going. Expect some transfers from any high level athletes in individual sports that have hopes of competing in the post season. According to my son, several wrestlers who have hopes of attending region/national post season tourneys have already entered the transfer portal.

The only modern example I can think of where a school dropped from Division I is Birmingham-Southern College, which admittedly had an odd athletic journey. They moved from NAIA to NCAA Division I in the early 2000s, then dropped to NCAA Division III in 2006.

 

There are a handful of schools that were grandfathered into Division I in certain sports (think Johns Hopkins lacrosse) who have since moved all of their sports down a division. Hartwick's soccer program recently moved from DI to DIII and New York Tech moved from DI to DII in baseball a couple of years ago.

 

Beyond that, you'd probably have to go back to the early 1970s when the NCAA officially created divisions (instead of the long-standing university and college divisions) to find a team that dropped from high-level to lower-level athletics.

 

There are some others. I know Centenary College in Louisiana used to be a Division 1 school until very recently; now they play in Division III. I think one or two of the HBCUs have moved recently as well.

 

By the late 1970s, most schools on the fence had already just decided that cutting football was the best way to save money and keep the rest of their sports in Division 1.

 

And the Johns Hopkins case isn't really "grandfathering". You're permitted to be in Div. II or III and "play up" to Div. 1 in one men's sport and one women's sport (but neither can be football or basketball). Bellarmine has been using it for lacrosse.

 

Lots of northern schools use it for ice hockey as well.

Edited by Getslow

My son wrestles at Bellarmine, and it's my understanding all sports will be going. Expect some transfers from any high level athletes in individual sports that have hopes of competing in the post season. According to my son, several wrestlers who have hopes of attending region/national post season tourneys have already entered the transfer portal.

 

It's an exciting time for the school I'm sure, but the lack of a postseason during the transitional period puts a lot on those athletes. Do these folks have access to a free transfer within D-II during the transition? Are the transfer rules even the same within D-II?

Big move. Big commitment because you have to go D1 in all sports. But, for those like me who might initially question this move, has there ever been a school that left NCAA D1? If there has, I couldn't find any info on it. That answers the doubters. There must be good reasons to go D1 and to stay D1.

 

My college was D1 in a few sports (Baseball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey) and D2 in everything else. 3 or 4 years after I left, the sports that were D1 dropped to D2.

  • Author
Daughter has a Governor's Scholars reunion, so after dropping her off I'll probably explore that side of town a bit. I have about 7 hours to kill.

 

I recommend the Old Forester distillery downtown for part of your time.

It's an exciting time for the school I'm sure, but the lack of a postseason during the transitional period puts a lot on those athletes. Do these folks have access to a free transfer within D-II during the transition? Are the transfer rules even the same within D-II?

 

I believe they do get a "free" transfer. D2 transfer rules are the same as D1.

My college was D1 in a few sports (Baseball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey) and D2 in everything else. 3 or 4 years after I left, the sports that were D1 dropped to D2.

 

Yeah it depends on when you were in school. The NCAA clamped down on schools really having to be within a certain Division in 1991. It wasn't made for the University of Dayton, but it feels like it was. UD won three Div. III football national championships between 1980 and 1991 (and made the championship game two other times) while having Division I basketball. In 1991, the NCAA said you couldn't do that anymore. They forced schools to fully codify their membership within certain divisions and banned "playing up" in either football or basketball.

Yeah it depends on when you were in school. The NCAA clamped down on schools really having to be within a certain Division in 1991. It wasn't made for the University of Dayton, but it feels like it was. UD won three Div. III football national championships between 1980 and 1991 (and made the championship game two other times) while having Division I basketball. In 1991, the NCAA said you couldn't do that anymore. They forced schools to fully codify their membership within certain divisions and banned "playing up" in either football or basketball.

 

Yep. I graduated in 1992. I think 1995 was when they moved down.

Maybe a subject for another thread, but how many DIIs are there left in KY?

Maybe a subject for another thread, but how many DIIs are there left in KY?

 

I think 2. KY State and KY Wesleyan.

I think 2. KY State and KY Wesleyan.

 

Correct. Georgetown has been dying to go to D2 but can't get approved.

  • Author

Official today, Bellarmine is now Division 1. 

"On July 1, Bellarmine University will celebrate the elevation of its athletics program from NCAA Division II to NCAA Division I, making Bellarmine the only private D-I university in Kentucky and one of only a handful of D-I Catholic universities in the South. 

All 22 of the Knights' varsity sports programs will now compete in Division I, including 17 in the ASUN Conference. 

"This is an exciting and historic time to be a Bellarmine Knight," Bellarmine President Dr. Susan M. Donovan said. "Our move to Division I will elevate our game as we compete against the best rivals in college sports. At the same time, the increased visibility of Division I will allow us to share the Bellarmine story with a larger audience and offer an excellent Bellarmine education to more students than ever before." 

 

https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/news/2020/7/1/general-bellarmine-knights-celebrate-july-1-rise-to-ncaa-division-1.aspx

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.