Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Referee Assaulted In Paducah

Featured Replies

If he's got those priors he's definitely getting the max, IMO.

 

Unless the victim has some type of permanent disability from the assault I can easily see the charge being reduced back to a misdemeanor once the perpetrator is properly represented in court.

 

And the priors shouldn't have anything to do with it unless any of them were felony convictions and the local authorities can make a felony stick this time.

How is it he could coach AAU with previous assault and drug convictions? Is there no screening done? I had to be fingerprinted to work in a school with kids.

How is it he could coach AAU with previous assault and drug convictions? Is there no screening done? I had to be fingerprinted to work in a school with kids.

 

Isn't AAU separate from the school?

Isn't AAU separate from the school?

 

Yes, but I would hope that coaches of children would get some kind of screening regardless of where they work by the program they work or volunteer for. AAU coaches sometimes travel with kids to tournaments. Evidently not.

Yes, but I would hope that coaches of children would get some kind of screening regardless of where they work by the program they work or volunteer for. AAU coaches sometimes travel with kids to tournaments. Evidently not.

 

AAU = WWW (Wild Wild West)

 

Additionally, I am not sure what the "law" is for non-governmental agencies wanting access to private criminal databases maintained by the government.

 

Besides, I would mostly be concerned about psychological issues and there is no way screen for that.

How is it he could coach AAU with previous assault and drug convictions? Is there no screening done? I had to be fingerprinted to work in a school with kids.

 

Separate from a school. Some of these teams get whoever will coach them so they can have a team.

AAU = WWW (Wild Wild West)

 

Additionally, I am not sure what the "law" is for non-governmental agencies wanting access to private criminal databases maintained by the government.

 

Besides, I would mostly be concerned about psychological issues and there is no way screen for that.

 

I know most companies do a background check for a job. You don't have to agree, but then again they won't hire you if you don't. I would think it would be easy to have the same requirements of a coach.

I know most companies do a background check for a job. You don't have to agree, but then again they won't hire you if you don't. I would think it would be easy to have the same requirements of a coach.

 

I wonder what those background checks encompass?

 

I assume you get the basics like not a registered sex offender, not wanted, not on a terror list, etc. However, I wonder if those checks tell the potential employer if someone had a simple drug and/or assault charge/conviction 15 years ago.

 

And again, none of it covers mental illness which is probably the most important factor.

I wonder what those background checks encompass?

 

I assume you get the basics like not a registered sex offender, not wanted, not on a terror list, etc. However, I wonder if those checks tell the potential employer if someone had a simple drug and/or assault charge/conviction 15 years ago.

 

And again, none of it covers mental illness which is probably the most important factor.

 

I don't know how far back they go. I do know permanent employees could not have a misdemeanor in the last 5 years and temps could not have one in the last two years.

 

Pretty sure you couldn't have a felony on your record ever.

I wonder what those background checks encompass?

 

I assume you get the basics like not a registered sex offender, not wanted, not on a terror list, etc. However, I wonder if those checks tell the potential employer if someone had a simple drug and/or assault charge/conviction 15 years ago.

 

And again, none of it covers mental illness which is probably the most important factor.

 

Slippery slope when talking about people with mental illness. Mental illness, along with many other diseases is a matter of degrees. Depression and bipolar disorder are both very common forms of mental illness and most people manage them successfully. Others do not, or their particular illness is so severe, they cannot. Some people who manage their mental illness well, make wonderful role models because they have insight to what it is like to struggle.

 

Most people who do not manage their mental illness well end up getting arrested. They certainly should not be anywhere near children. Many of our patients have legal histories of assault, menacing, trespassing, theft, and drug related charges. I think, indirectly, the legal system can wean out the problematic mentally ill.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

Slippery slope when talking about people with mental illness. Mental illness, along with many other diseases is a matter of degrees. Depression and bipolar disorder are both very common forms of mental illness and most people manage them successfully. Others do not, or their particular illness is so severe, they cannot. Some people who manage their mental illness well, make wonderful role models because they have insight to what it is like to struggle.

 

Most people who do not manage their mental illness well end up getting arrested. They certainly should not be anywhere near children. Many of our patients have legal histories of assault, menacing, trespassing, theft, and drug related charges. I think, indirectly, the legal system can wean out the problematic mentally ill.

 

I think we are saying the same thing. Mental illness is a complex issue and unless we have professional, human intervention in any hiring process there is no way of knowing what our children are getting with their coaches.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.