Mercer Co. 56 Larue Co. 14

Birdsfan

We have to disagree as usual because I think it would be delusional to rank Western and Larue ahead of Belfry and Middlesboro.
What the heck did Middlesboro do during the regular season to warrant that ranking? What impressive wins did they have worthy of such a lofty ranking?

Heck, some people thought Western should have been ranked second. LaRue beat some teams from higher classifications, a better collection of teams than Middlesboro beat.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not talking now ... we're talking at the end of the regular season. I expected Belfry to beat Middlesboro, so I could have easily ranked the Pirates ahead of them, too.

End of regular season I wouldn't put Middlesboro in the top 5 and agree... but the post I made abotu Belfyr beating the #3 Middlesboro was refrring to when they played them.

FWIW, Middlesboro may be the most talented group of athletes in 2A... but they are far from being the best team in the state. And, though they had very few quality wins (A mediocre Somerset, a decent Breathitt, an above average Leslie County, an average Powell Valley) they still did not lose to a Kentucky team in the regular season which is more than can be said about anyone else in 2A aside from Mercer, they also defeated Corbin (albeit a 5 loss Corbin) who advanced to the regional finals.

It's also worth noting that since the regular season ended Middlesboro made a much better case for their ranking over Western. The fact that Western lost 2 of it last 4 games proved they were overhyped. The blowout defeat Larue suffered at the hands of Mercer also makes one question just how good this district really was and if maybe they were overrated from the start (or if Mercer is just that good).

I think it's safe to say that the polls are off because no matter who you choose between Mboro, Larue, Caldwell County, and Western... the playoffs definately weeded these teams out as pretenders instead of contenders.

They could not have stuck with H-burg in 1 A due to the fact H-burg school was disolved into the Mercer school system.

My point was simply that IF they were looking for a 1 year advantage in enrollment, why not dissolve Mercer into H'burg? My point was that the merger was not just about athletics. I have no problem with the merger at all.

FWIW, Middlesboro may be the most talented group of athletes in 2A... but they are far from being the best team in the state. And, though they had very few quality wins (A mediocre Somerset, a decent Breathitt, an above average Leslie County, an average Powell Valley) they still did not lose to a Kentucky team in the regular season which is more than can be said about anyone else in 2A aside from Mercer, they also defeated Corbin (albeit a 5 loss Corbin) who advanced to the regional finals.
Faint praise, considering that their in-state schedule left a lot to be desired.

Belfry and Russell played Ashland. Middlesboro used to play a perennial 3A power, but dropped them from the schedule two years ago.

Belfry also played Newport Catholic. In the west, Fort Campbell played Paducah Tilghman, Caldwell County opened with Mayfield and Owensboro Catholic plays all the 4A teams in town.

Middlesboro's non-district slate, other than Knoxville Central, was pretty poor. Actually, the Jackets beat Harlan, not Somerset.

It's also worth noting that since the regular season ended Middlesboro made a much better case for their ranking over Western. The fact that Western lost 2 of it last 4 games proved they were overhyped. The blowout defeat Larue suffered at the hands of Mercer also makes one question just how good this district really was and if maybe they were overrated from the start (or if Mercer is just that good).
Western went to Breathitt County and beat them convincingly, just as much or more so than Middlesboro did. I believe that Western played in a tougher district than Middlesboro, and that's why they didn't get as far as the Jackets did.

I suspect that Mercer is just that good, at least on the 2A level.

I think it's safe to say that the polls are off because no matter who you choose between Mboro, Larue, Caldwell County, and Western... the playoffs definately weeded these teams out as pretenders instead of contenders.
Two of those teams made the final eight, and another one lost to one of the teams that did. Caldwell may very well be in the final four if their best player hadn't torn his ACL in the first quarter against Trigg County.

My point was simply that IF they were looking for a 1 year advantage in enrollment, why not dissolve Mercer into H'burg? My point was that the merger was not just about athletics. I have no problem with the merger at all.

Understand what you were saying just wanted to point it was H-burg's board who decided to disolve not Mercer's they only agree to accept the school system. If the board of Mercer had refused it would have went to public vote which was my understanding. Of course most football parents and players are glad because look at the team Jaggers was able to put together. He has the ability to pull it off like no other coach could. He does a great job