2019 Mr. Basketball Finalists

Allen has more upside and is more of an over all talent.....that I won't dispute. But Reid Jolly of Campbell County IMO should have been named the 10th Region Player of the Year, or at least been named co-player of the year, they did it in other regions. Reid has had a sensational senior season for the Camels. Again, not knocking the player that Allen is, but having missed so much of the season definitely should have been factored into the voting. Best of luck to Mr. Allen at UK and to Mr. Jolly the remainder of the season....hopefully he can lead CCHS back to Rupp.

I agree with this 100%. This is not a knock on Allen, which the PC faithful that troll this board will take it as, but Jolly is the player of the YEAR. I put year in all caps for a reason. The sad thing with this award is coaches vote on it and you cant vote for your own player. So certain coaches will vote for another senior who has 0 chance of being player of the year or even in the conversation, to "protect" their own player. Same ones will be screaming from the roof tops how it isnt fair that their player isnt considered because of an injury. Strange times we live in. Adults making it about themselves and not the players.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this 100%. This is not a knock on Allen, which the PC faithful that troll this board will take it as, but Jolly is the player of the YEAR. I put year in all caps for a reason. The sad thing with this award is coaches vote on it and you cant vote for your own player. So certain coaches will vote for another senior who has 0 chance of being player of the year or even in the conversation, to "protect" their own player. Same ones will be screaming from the roof tops how it isnt fair that their player isnt considered because of an injury. Strange times we live in. Adults making it about themselves and not the players.

So once again I ask is Mr. Basketball based on accomplishments for senior year only or the student athlete's entire career. If senior year only then Allen and Moreno should not be considered. If the entire career, then they are definitely in the running. Regardless, best of luck to them at the next level.

You may be right, but it would be a shame if you are. David Johnson's scoring average is not as high as some, but I have never understood Mr. Basketball award simply going to the highest scorer in the state (there would be no need for any voting if that were the case). Johnson could score substantially more if he wanted to, but he affects a game in so many more ways. Johnson has been a multiple-year starter for one of the top teams in the State, playing one of the most competitive schedules in the State. I hope voters give him fair consideration.

Johnson will get some votes for sure and I know of quite a few people who will vote for him. At the same time he will be hard pressed to get enough votes throughout the state in order for him to win.

So once again I ask is Mr. Basketball based on accomplishments for senior year only or the student athlete's entire career. If senior year only then Allen and Moreno should not be considered. If the entire career' date=' then they are definitely in the running. Regardless, best of luck to them at the next level.[/quote']

It is up to each individual voter what their criteria is. Moreno and Allen will get a ton of votes. I expect them to get more votes than David Johnson.

Allen has more upside and is more of an over all talent.....that I won't dispute. But Reid Jolly of Campbell County IMO should have been named the 10th Region Player of the Year, or at least been named co-player of the year, they did it in other regions. Reid has had a sensational senior season for the Camels. Again, not knocking the player that Allen is, but having missed so much of the season definitely should have been factored into the voting. Best of luck to Mr. Allen at UK and to Mr. Jolly the remainder of the season....hopefully he can lead CCHS back to Rupp.

Agreed. Allen hasn’t played since Christmas and Jolly has Campbell County ranked in the top 5 or top 10 in every poll throughout the state. IMO Jolly not winning 10th Region Player of the Year is a farce.

Agreed. Allen hasn’t played since Christmas and Jolly has Campbell County ranked in the top 5 or top 10 in every poll throughout the state. IMO Jolly not winning 10th Region Player of the Year is a farce.

It’s all a joke. I learned that last year when Eric Johnson of Paris was snubbed in favor of Philpot of GRC. Yes, if anyone is wondering I’m still salty because of it.