Class 3A Playoffs: Garrard County at Belfry

gchs_uk9

Who Wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Belfry
    • Garrard County

Fourth-ranked Belfry hosts Garrard County in the first round of the playoffs. Belfry owns six state championships, including a streak of four straight that was broken last season. Garrard County's deepest playoff run came in 2011 when they lost at home in a classic to Belfry in the state semifinals.

They've met once in the playoffs:

2011 - Belfry 34 Garrard County 27

Who wins?

That 2011 game was a classic. Garrard had a really nice team and had the Pirates on the ropes. Garrard was athletic and balanced and was as good as anyone we played that season. The Golden Lions jumped out to a two touchdown lead. It took a while but Belfry was a veteran team and eventually took a lead, 28-21. Garrard was full of fight, though and the Lions had a gritty drive late and scored to make it 28-27. Belfry stopped the 2 point conversion attempt, and then made a late game interception to finally seal it. All in all, it was one of the best road game atmospheres I've been a part of as a Belfry fan.

I hope Belfry can be as good a host to the Lions as they were to us back in 2011.

I've watched Garrard County a few times this season. They aren't the Garrard County from the last few seasons. They play hard and have a tough, physical team. They aren't beating Belfry but kudos to their staff for continuing to improve the program.

Belfry likely wins this one by a running clock.

Edited by Wireman

Garrard runs the ball well and although I know they are not Johnson Central they may indeed have some success running the ball this Friday. They will not win, and it may not be close but Garrard just may give them a little more fight than most think..