Giants and Odell Beckham Jr. Agree to New Deal

Kudos to OBJ for getting his deal. I am all for these guys getting as much as they can.

Now, if I were running a team, would I make OBJ the highest paid NFL WR? Not a chance. Some of it is philosophical in that I believe WRs are greatly overvalued. Name me a WR that leads a franchise to the promised land? It doesn't happen. There are more pressing concerns for a franchise than locking up a WR. We are all jaded because of Fantasy Football into thinking WRs are much more important than they are.

Fairly or unfairly, these are the things I think of when I think of OBJ.

- His magical catch in a loss to the Cowboys that put him on the map

- Super talented

- Flashy hair

- His meltdown against Josh Norman

- His meltdown against a kicking net

- Chartering a plane to Miami (on his off day) with other players before a first round playoff game in Lambeau, then not producing

- Pizza story from this summer with the Instagram star and mysterious white powder

Again, this is the guy you have somewhat handed the franchise over to. Do you want him as the driving force and default leader of a franchise? Hopefully the expectations for him have gone up and he has matured to perform up to his capabilities.

Again, congrats on the deal.

Kudos to OBJ for getting his deal. I am all for these guys getting as much as they can.

Now, if I were running a team, would I make OBJ the highest paid NFL WR? Not a chance. Some of it is philosophical in that I believe WRs are greatly overvalued. Name me a WR that leads a franchise to the promised land? It doesn't happen. There are more pressing concerns for a franchise than locking up a WR. We are all jaded because of Fantasy Football into thinking WRs are much more important than they are.

- Super talented

- Flashy hair

- Chartering a plane to Miami (on his off day) with other players before a first round playoff game in Lambeau, then not producing

- Pizza story from this summer with the Instagram star and mysterious white powder

Again, this is the guy you have somewhat handed the franchise over to. Do you want him as the driving force and default leader of a franchise? Hopefully the expectations for him have gone up and he has matured to perform up to his capabilities.

Spot on. He's a great player and will produce, but history shows us you don't need or possibly want a WR on your team that is making that much money.

When I look at how much average NBA players make and how the NFL makes more money than the NBA the answer becomes easy.

He’s absolutely worth every penny.

Amazing the power structures of each sport.

MLB: Players run the show. Not very progressive.

NBA: Seen as a 50-50 split with power, but stars are high profile and structure is seen as progressive.

NFL: Owners run the show. But it has by-in-large been a well-oiled machine the other sports ($$$) would love to have.

It has always felt the money in the NBA is right, but the MLB and NFL salaries should be swapped.

Amazing the power structures of each sport.

MLB: Players run the show. Not very progressive.

NBA: Seen as a 50-50 split with power, but stars are high profile and structure is seen as progressive.

NFL: Owners run the show. But it has by-in-large been a well-oiled machine the other sports ($$$) would love to have.

It has always felt the money in the NBA is right, but the MLB and NFL salaries should be swapped.

No doubt. It’s wild to think of how NFL players destroy their body but make considerably less than their counterparts who don’t do near the damage to their bodies at all. All of this while working for the most lucrative professional sports organization in America.

I could throw a conspiracy theory angle in there but that’s a whole other discussion. :lol2:

I think I could stomach making a little less as an NFL player, but the fact that they don't have guaranteed contracts is insane. You have baseball players making $30M a year at age 38 and it's a miracle to get $60M guaranteed in the NFL in your prime.

Differences in unions. The baseball union is viewed as the most powerful in all of sports if not all of unions. They call the shots. One can argue baseball argues is because so much power is given to the players, but that is for another thread. Sorry to derail us from OBJ.

Differences in unions. The baseball union is viewed as the most powerful in all of sports if not all of unions. They call the shots. One can argue baseball argues is because so much power is given to the players, but that is for another thread. Sorry to derail us from OBJ.

The Unions are only that powerful if those involved with them let them be.

- Super talented

- Flashy hair

OBJ has been to every practice and has done everything the team has asked when everyone said he would hold out.

I think that went a long way towards them trusting him.

Ive always hoped theyd re sign him. He is the most talented WR in the game. Im pumped to see him out there with Shepherd, Engram and Barkley.