2018-19 Deer Season

I put out a moultrie programmable feeder this year and set it to feed 1 time a day about 5:45. Been having does on camera a lot and some bucks, but not as consistent and mostly during the night which stinks. I drove my utv out Thursday eve to put out corn in all my other spots and saw a doe at the feeder when I rounded the bend. Hopefully they will keep coming when crossbow starts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know if any of y’all remember, but last season was the first year I took bow hunting seriously. IN the summer, I bought myself a recurve bow and was amped about hunting season.

Well, after about 5 or so stone cold misses last season I decided to convince my wife to let me buy a compound bow. I did, and killed a doe the very next sit.

Since then, I’ve felt like I’ve had a score to settle. I have a hunting bucket list, and killing a deer with a trad bow is one.

Well I just bought a new recurve at 40#. I already feel much more acurate with it. Hopefully I’ll be able to hit what I want this go around!

Went out Friday afternoon with my 2 sons. We each now have a place to hunt from, either ground blinds or 1 ladder stand. One son had a small doe out by his ladder stand and I eventually came my way and ate corn for awhile. An even smaller deer joined in and both returned a couple more times. I’d say the larger of the 2’s back was no more than 3 feet high...maybe a yearling, so I didn’t shoot. She likes to hang out around my feeder so maybe will lure in a buck later. Also had 6 turkeys show up, then walked out to where my other son was sitting in his blind. All hens. Can’t shoot them since we bait with corn....rats. Also had a squirrel and rabbit show up, then a noisy large screech owl flying around the woods. Saw it in a tree as I walked out...probably a good 18 inches tall and a long wingspan when he flew away after I lit him up with the spotlight.

Just looked at trial cam pics and there is a buck with a huge rack I’ve not seen before further up in the hayfield nearer my mother’s house. It was at night so the pic isn’t great, but looked to possibly be a 10 pointer. He makes the 8 pointer look small. Now I wish I had a blind set up in that area....lots of bucks, but only after dark. Need to figure out how to get them out earlier so I can bag one.

Anyone out since the weather change? Any action?

I’m headed out this evening after work for a couple hours at Taylorsville Lake. I’d have liked to sit where I’ve previously seen deer in the evening there, but the wind is all wrong.

I’m kind of winging it tonight with a spot that looks like it could be decent on the map.

I’m really looking forward to my sit tomorrow morning. Hopefully the youth season doesn’t botch too much for me.