Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Terrible field conditions do they help or hurt the underdog ?

Featured Replies

I'm not just talking about bad field conditions, but terrible as will be the case at alot of games tonight. I've always felt it favored the underdog,because usually if you're the dog it means the other team has more speed. I think water and mud tend to negate speed thus increasing the chances for an upset.

It works both ways I suppose. I completely agree with everything you said. I think its a big favor for the underdog. You typically dont see too many big plays for long yards in games where the field is muddy.

I don't know about underdogs and favorites; I always felt that a sloppy field helped a big, physical running team, whether they were an underdog or not.

I don't know about underdogs and favorites; I always felt that a sloppy field helped a big, physical running team, whether they were an underdog or not.

 

Bingo :thumb:

Bottom line...A sloppy field caps scoring potential keeping the two teams closer on the scoreboard.

 

That makes it far more likely that one or two big plays will make the final difference in the outcome.

Bottom line...A sloppy field caps scoring potential keeping the two teams closer on the scoreboard.

 

That makes it far more likely that one or two big plays will make the final difference in the outcome.

All things considered,IMO, the condition of the field is secondary to the way that the game is being officiated!

Friday night Trinity played Shelby County in a quagmire. SC was a 100% no huddle, throw the ball every down team. Trinity likes to throw the ball but they can also run. SC was a huge underdog but IMVHO the sloppy field had a more adverse effect on them because they had no running game. I think that rather then favoring the underdog the sloppy field favors the team that is better able to run the ball.

Friday night Trinity played Shelby County in a quagmire. SC was a 100% no huddle, throw the ball every down team. Trinity likes to throw the ball but they can also run. SC was a huge underdog but IMVHO the sloppy field had a more adverse effect on them because they had no running game. I think that rather then favoring the underdog the sloppy field favors the team that is better able to run the ball.

 

I doubt the fans of Sheldon Clark would agree with you.

 

They are/were regarded as a MUCH better running team than Prestonsburg. Yet...the Cardinals almost pulled the game out vs. the Blackcats with the pass late.

 

IMO, it's an advantage having a QB that's a classic pocket passer. The less footwork needed, the better. The rush is definately slowed. In addition, receivers know where they're going while the cover man MUST adjust to stay with him. The chances of a defender falling/slipping, IMO, are increased which, in turn, increases the chance of a short pass going for a big gain.

 

:bunny:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.