Open Job: Augusta

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing a Robbie Graham product is getting a shot at an interview. Winning background from the Lake Kelly Bball line...

Possible that Newton (prior Nicholas Co, now Bath girls coach) is a potential player.

Heard Thompson from across the river might be venturing into KY Bball. He has some roots in the 10th.

Possibly Himes ... (?)

Just rumors though. I feel like whoever they choose ought to be a new coach willing to stay and dedicate to the ATown community of kids and it’s education.

The dead man is just thinking why go outside your own backyard? If you hire a young coach say he does well what happens? Leaves for bigger, better job ie Hinson and Kirk,{school thought both were lifers} see how that worked out! Give someone the chance who is vested and not looking to pad their resume and move on. Plenty of talent in the lower grades to develop a program for years to come, just don't make the same mistake and be looking for a new coach in 2 or 3 years. If you do hire from within what is the worst that can happen?{your looking for a new coach in 2 or 3 years} enough said the dead man doesn't talk much.

The dead man is just thinking why go outside your own backyard? If you hire a young coach say he does well what happens? Leaves for bigger, better job ie Hinson and Kirk,{school thought both were lifers} see how that worked out! Give someone the chance who is vested and not looking to pad their resume and move on. Plenty of talent in the lower grades to develop a program for years to come, just don't make the same mistake and be looking for a new coach in 2 or 3 years. If you do hire from within what is the worst that can happen?{your looking for a new coach in 2 or 3 years} enough said the dead man doesn't talk much.

You must have a name in mind???

I believe the best ones for the job has already been mentioned in earlier post. What I can't figure out is why in a school does someone have to be a teacher to be a coach. I have seen some teachers that [coach] who couldn't coach their way out of a locker room and I've seen some coaches who [teach] couldn't teach how to shoot a layup, so why not hire someone who can teach and coach just basketball if that is all they want to do.

A HS coach needing to teach a HS player to shoot a layup is like kissing your sister. It isn’t right. Especially this day and age. They have solid people in the community that can make that happen.

Whoever they hire needs to be knowledgeable about personnel and how to implement systems to compliment their personnel. They also need to be able to ensure the feeder keeps feeding. That where the money is.

Whether they stay or go Augusta will ALWAYS have to battle coaches leaving. Class A schools don’t have the funding to keep a progressive coach.

Hinson and Kirk considered opportunity and family to supplement their lifestyles.

These are all good opportunities for Augusta to improve through Newton and Collier. Cannot attest to Coach Duffie. Never heard of him but I’m sure he’s qualified.

Where’s that old Patrick ball coach that was at Fleming for a year? How come he’s not in the mix?? He just vanish?

Roger Newton

Mark Collier

Collin Duffie

All PE teachers.

A couple others I know as well.

Have never heard of Collier or Duffie, what have they done?

Thought Newton took the girls coaching job at Bath to Coach his young daughter

Augusta needs to hire a coach that has discipline. Watched them play a few summer games and I agree there is young talent there. With what I noticed they didn't take coaching very well. Plus they have plenty of coaches in the stands, who ever they get he will have his work cut out for him. Cause a person can coach LL or AAU teams doesn't mean they can coach high school ball. Wish the Panthers good luck. Love to see small schools have success.