Open Job: Ashland

To address a couple of questions... yes Adkins was one of the players that left. The majority of players that I'm talking about didn't leave the school but left the program in middle school. I know that players come and go in different sports, but there were specific reason. As well, a starter on last years football team left and is now play for another school. And as for the baseball situation, it's in the controversial issues thread on here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this job is opened up to outside candidates, I think we will see some outstanding express interest in this job. Ashland is still Ashland and even thou there is a lot of craziness surrounding the job, I still think good coaches will be interested in it. I think Howell did enough to make it an attractive job again. It will be interesting to see what kind of timetable they will establish to fill this position.

If this job is opened up to outside candidates, I think we will see some outstanding express interest in this job. Ashland is still Ashland and even thou there is a lot of craziness surrounding the job, I still think good coaches will be interested in it. I think Howell did enough to make it an attractive job again. It will be interesting to see what kind of timetable they will establish to fill this position.

You're right, but I really think Ashland already has the man they want. In reality, with the influx of higher paying jobs coming to the area as well as the potential for many more manufactures to locate here to be closer to Braidy industries, the Ashland job has once again became a very attractive job. With Howell being fired after bringing some resurrection to the program, Ashland had better make a home run hire. Otherwise they're going to take several steps backwards.

I understand it was just 1 year at Russell in a rebuilding year but I just can’t see the Strader move to head coach.

That move by administration would cause some major red flags associated with it and honestly give Ashland an even bigger black-eye than it already has. Fire a successful coach (alumni) that was one game from the “Sweet Sixteen” then hire an assistant with a career record of 6-25. That move makes things look like there was something going on behind closed doors.

I have to believe the Administration & Board wants Ashland to continue its return to the top of Region 16. I just can’t see that as I step it the right direction. But I’ve been wrong many times before!

Sounds like an assistant coach and some parents were conspiring against a head coach.

School administration and BOEs are going to have to get a backbone. We have kids doing drugs, having sex, and doing whatever else(basically being kids), but they cower and hide if a coach says curse words?

• 2 weeks later...
It has been close to two weeks since Coach Howell was let go as coach at Ashland. Any word on leading candidates for this job?

There are rumors floating around about candidates but I think the biggest question is who would want to move to Ashland to put up with those people?

Honestly??

I can’t argue that there seems to be a lot of craziness around the program right now. Or should I say Craziness for the past 4 years. But I still think there will be good coaches going after this job. I’m just curious to see what direction they go from here. Personally I have not heard any names so that is why I was asking.

There are rumors floating around about candidates but I think the biggest question is who would want to move to Ashland to put up with those people?

Honestly??

Regardless of whatever led to coach Howell being fired the Ashland job is still a good one and the program is in better shape now than it was prior to him getting the HC position. I honestly hate that Jeremy got fired and I don't believe that he deserved to be fired. But it is what it is, this type of thing is common all over the country, much less the state of Kentucky.

On the upside, Ashland has a lot of tradition in basketball and the Ashland area is seeing an economic boom that they haven't seen in a long time. Braidy Industries, is building a high quality aluminum plant that may bring in other factories that they will be supplying aliminum to, a new convention center and 4* Marriott is being built among many other businesses. Basically Ashlands economy is on the rise and typically in Ashland, when the economy is strong so are the sports programs in the area, mostly due to the influx of people. While I don't necessarily like this job being open, it is a good time to land a good coach in Ashland.