NFL Cracking Down on a New Celebration

Apparently the NFL is looking into banning the Giants "Jump shot" celebration. The Giants d-linemen have been imitating a jump shot after a sack or big play, and the NFL is already looking into banning this celebration. I don't think it's a huge deal, but what's the problem with this celebration? It's not over the top or anything...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spdance184937805oct18,0,3240116.story?coll=ny-sports-print

"According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the Giants are being scrutinized because several defensive players took "jump shots" simultaneously after some of the seven sacks of Michael Vick on Sunday in Atlanta. On one play, Strahan, who didn't have any sacks, formed a hoop with his arms and other defenders took "jump shots" toward it."

On one play, Strahan, who didn't have any sacks, formed a hoop with his arms and other defenders took "jump shots" toward it."

That's the problem right there. If only one player was doing it, then it wouldn't be a big deal. But, since multiple players are getting into the act, the rules should apply just like a touchdown celebration. A player can celebrate with a dance on their own, but not with other players.

Just to make it known, I like the celebrations, and I think the league is the "No Fun League", but if you set a rule for one (touchdown), you've got to set a rule for all.

That's the problem right there. If only one player was doing it, then it wouldn't be a big deal. But, since multiple players are getting into the act, the rules should apply just like a touchdown celebration. A player can celebrate with a dance on their own, but not with other players.

Just to make it known, I like the celebrations, and I think the league is the "No Fun League", but if you set a rule for one (touchdown), you've got to set a rule for all.

:thumb: I agree...doing it in a group is what will eventually get it banned. But if they do it on their own it shouldnt be illegal...

There is too much celebrating in football, act like you have been there and done that before. Why put on a show??? You never see a pitcher celebrate after every strikeout like you do when you see a defender knock down a pass or make a tackle!

I do have a problem with the TO ball signing, or palm palm dance, or Joe Horn's cell phone celebration. I do not have a problem with many of Chad Johnsons celebrations or with the "jump shot" celebration by the Giants. They're doing something good, and they're celebrating together. The NFL SHOULD ban some of the celebrations, but banning the others is just wrong and excessive.

There is too much celebrating in football, act like you have been there and done that before. Why put on a show??? You never see a pitcher celebrate after every strikeout like you do when you see a defender knock down a pass or make a tackle!

Well anytime a player hits a HR and all his teammates are waiting for him at home plate... should be find...

Whatever happened to spinning the ball and then all of the other players huddling up, like the ball is a fire? The Rams used to do that when they were the "Greatest show on Turf", and that's the last I remember of it. Is that banned?

Personally, my favorite is the Terrell Davis / Denver Bronco "Mile High Salute".

Act like you've been there/done that before.

You would never see class acts like Walter Payton or Mike Singletary do garbage like that... :irked: