Which QB would you draft if you were the Browns

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With both Darnold and Rosen declaring for the draft, my prediction is that the Browns will go with Penn State's Barkley at #1, and then take whomever is still standing between Darnold and Rosen at #4.

If they take a RB with the #1 pick. Ownership needs to fire the new GM and Hue.

JMO, but they need a major upgrade at the RB position. If they go QB at #1, Barkley most likely won't be there come #4. They can solve both issues (QB & RB) if they take him at #1.

They should still have their choice of Love, Chubb, Harris, Michel, or Guice with one of their two second round picks. Somewhere between 3 and 5 of those guys will be available.

Personally I hope they sign one of the free agent QBs (Bridgewater, McCarren, etc) then get the Jets 1st, 2nd, and something else.

That would solve their QB issue and also give them 5 of the next 37 picks. Or keep the pick and you still have 4 of the top 35 picks.

I'm a browns fan.I listen to WKNR about everyday. This can change ,especially after the play-offs,but...the talk in Cleveland is,Dorsey makes a play for Alex Smith. They draft Darnold and let him sit behind Smith. Kizer keeps working on his game also. At #4 they take the best available ....probably c.b. Fitzpatrick from Bama. Figure Barkley won't get past indy at #3. Personally, i like that scenario. Don't know if i happens,we will see. BTW , the o-line there is in good shape. Especially if Thomas comes back. but I'd have no problem with them drafting another o-lineman. Preferably center Billy Price from O.S.U..Just my opinion.

I'm a browns fan.I listen to WKNR about everyday. This can change ' date='especially after the play-offs,but...the talk in Cleveland is,Dorsey makes a play for Alex Smith. They draft Darnold and let him sit behind Smith. Kizer keeps working on his game also. At #4 they take the best available ....probably c.b. Fitzpatrick from Bama. Figure Barkley won't get past indy at #3. Personally, i like that scenario. Don't know if i happens,we will see. BTW , the o-line there is in good shape. Especially if Thomas comes back. but I'd have no problem with them drafting another o-lineman. Preferably center Billy Price from O.S.U..Just my opinion.[/quote']

If the Browns are able to get Smith then go Darnold and Fitzpatrick in the first and get Billy Price with the 1st pick in the second they should recieve an A+ from everyone.

JMO, but they need a major upgrade at the RB position. If they go QB at #1, Barkley most likely won't be there come #4. They can solve both issues (QB & RB) if they take him at #1.

Not bad logic but I prefer the "you get the QB you really want and then see what happens" thinking.

I agree Grantnky. But just a pipe dream for now. A lot has to happen to get there. They have screwed it up so badly over the years,i really don't have a lot of hope.

It's gotten to the point where anything they do,both good,and...mostly bad,i am numb to. At this point,I'm just stepping back and letting the chips fall...lol!

I'm a browns fan.I listen to WKNR about everyday. This can change ' date='especially after the play-offs,but...the talk in Cleveland is,Dorsey makes a play for Alex Smith. They draft Darnold and let him sit behind Smith. Kizer keeps working on his game also. At #4 they take the best available ....probably c.b. Fitzpatrick from Bama. Figure Barkley won't get past indy at #3. Personally, i like that scenario. Don't know if i happens,we will see. BTW , the o-line there is in good shape. Especially if Thomas comes back. but I'd have no problem with them drafting another o-lineman. Preferably center Billy Price from O.S.U..Just my opinion.[/quote']

I think this is what they need to do.

1. They need to get a veteran QB that can help them win some games in 2018. Alex Smith and Dorsey have history. AJ McCarron and Hue Jackson have history. There are others they could pick up or trade for. Cap space is NOT a problem.

2. They need to draft a QB #1. How do you know which college QB will make a better pro? I have no idea. I recently heard talk that Rosen is a more pro-ready, drop-back passer while Darnold is a gun-slinger and play-maker. He has the turnovers that go with that. Whoever this rookie is, he should sit and learn. I think one of the major mistakes Sashi Brown made this past season was to get rid of every veteran QB and start the season with Kizer. Kizer needed to sit and learn from a pro. They shoved him out on the field and when he proved inadequate they had no one to go to. Kessler and Hogan were not up to the challenge either.

3. With their 4th pick they have a choice. Their needs are WR, DBs, RB, ILB, and O-line. I think they need to find Joe Thomas' replacement. They should take their highest rated player at a position of need.

Old Grappler, I totally agree with you. I guess we will just have to see. one thing I have really had a problem with over the last 20 or so years, is teams taking quarterbacks and throwing them right out onto the field, to sink or swim. I just wonder how many young quarterbacks have been ruined by doing this. A few guys can handle it , like the wentz's and going back to Marino ,even Peyton Manning ,but most need time to mature. for a sport that claims the quarterback position is the toughest on all sports ,they sure the hell don't have any problem throwing these young players to the wolves, and basically wasting a lot of money . just my opinion.

BTW, my enumerated list is one of sequence, not priority. The #1 priority for the Browns is to acquire a QB who can win in the NFL. That will most likely be through the draft. If they miss on this, there will be more turn-over in the front office and coaching staff.

I have heard Kirk Cousins mentioned as a possible trade but he won't be a long-term answer and he will cost them more money and assets than he is worth. However, he will provide them with a veteran QB from which a rookie and a sophomore QB can learn while sitting on the bench. I am not in favor of this move, though.

With both Darnold and Rosen declaring for the draft, my prediction is that the Browns will go with Penn State's Barkley at #1, and then take whomever is still standing between Darnold and Rosen at #4.

That is a feasible scenario. I listened to NFL Network Analyst David Jeremiah on the Rich Eisen show talk about a similar scenario in which Cleveland gets both, their QB, and the best player in the draft (Barkley).

He says they could draft Darnold first, whom Jeremiah likes over Rosen for his play-making ability. He says Darnold would do very well under Hue Jackson and said he was a better, far more talented and athletic version of Andy Dalton. He thinks Hue and Darnold would work well together.

With the Giants picking second, he thinks they will go QB to line up Eli's replacement.

Then with the Colts at 3, even though they would like a Barkley, because they have so many needs, they would be willing to flop places with Cleveland and get a couple of extra picks in this draft.

That would leave Cleveland getting Darnold at #1 and Barkley at #3. THat would be a fantastic draft scenario for Cleveland, getting their franchise QB (in theory) and the best player in the draft at a position of need. Thank you very much Sashi Brown for the picks that allow the Browns to do this.

• 2 weeks later...