Mercer County 65 Sacred Heart 63

Looks like a foul but either way why were they on her the score was tied!!! I️ went back and watched and she missed the second free throw with 6 sec and by the time she was headed up the floor it was 1.8 sec and it sure looked like they thought they were down 1!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reality the SHA player shouldn’t have been there with A couple seconds left.

There were many other very questionable calls down the stretch along with SHA bad turnovers. Add it all up equals a Mercer win on their home court.

Hopefully they play each other in the Sweet Sixteen Championship game. Two very good teams!

What do you think Jesse? Was it a foul in that situation of the game? Or do you let it go to OT?

If I am Mercer I say its a foul, if I am Sacred Heart I say let it play out. It looks like Erin is looking at the ref( I assume) to get the foul. I wonder if she thought they were behind by one or this could just be the way the frame is captured. While I had to attend my daughters husband WKU graduation, my fellow Premierians( is that a word? :) ) felt the game should have been decided in OT. I always want to see the kids decide the game. I watched it back and I can see alot of different adjustments that both teams will need to make the next time they meet and I will bet they meet again. The Samsel kid had a heck of a game......

She traveled right before the foul. Did you see that?

If you are talking to me I was not there. I will say my other co workers with Premier thought she traveled before that. I am going to watch the game myself again soon on Prepspin, or at least that last minute or so.

I watched it and I did not think she walked! It is funny how the same person that said she walked also said let it play out and they should have not called the foul? Which way is it, let it play out or call it? I think we are missing the boat here, it was a good high school GIRLS basketball game by 2 high level teams in DECEMBER! Both teams learned stuff from this and will get better. Sacred Heart played better the majority of the game but it is a 32 minute game! I have heard Souder say many times he wants early tests so he can see what his team needs to work on and I am sure he can find lots of areas they need to improve on as can Coach Moir. So in reality other than a win or a loss what at this point in the season did that game mean--Both teams are really good!

Know many SHA fans left the game thinking about phrase 'home cooking'. Perhaps there was some but no more than what teams feel like when they play Louisville teams in Louisville. The 1st half was absolutely A-L-L SHA. Samsel was on fire from 3 -- made 5 in 1st half alone and SHA seemed to get all the calls. The 2nd half Mercer applied some pressure, SHA got tight, missed some big FT's + Mercer was on positive end of some of the questionable calls.

The big question still has to be why in the world the 2 SHA kids went so hard after the ball given the game was tied and very little time left in the game? The other issue that will be debated until the cows come home re any game at any level is whether officials should make that kind of call at that place in time of the game? Objectively speaking ... these officials are clinically trained to call what they see regardless of what the clock says. Subjectively speaking ... the refs are watching the same game the rest of us are and can get pulled into emotions of a game. It is my opinion the ref called the foul from a knee jerk perspective ... saw the foul, blew his whistle without maybe thinking there was only 1.8 seconds left? They can't watch play and the clock at same time?

Guess I personally prefer any official NOT making that call unless a kid is threatened with injury due to the severity of the foul. This particular call did not rise to that level in my opinion. At the end of the day and at the end of that game, it came down to Mercer made those crucial FT's and SHA did not.

Know many SHA fans left the game thinking about phrase 'home cooking'. Perhaps there was some but no more than what teams feel like when they play Louisville teams in Louisville. The 1st half was absolutely A-L-L SHA. Samsel was on fire from 3 -- made 5 in 1st half alone and SHA seemed to get all the calls. The 2nd half Mercer applied some pressure, SHA got tight, missed some big FT's + Mercer was on positive end of some of the questionable calls.

The big question still has to be why in the world the 2 SHA kids went so hard after the ball given the game was tied and very little time left in the game? The other issue that will be debated until the cows come home re any game at any level is whether officials should make that kind of call at that place in time of the game? Objectively speaking ... these officials are clinically trained to call what they see regardless of what the clock says. Subjectively speaking ... the refs are watching the same game the rest of us are and can get pulled into emotions of a game. It is my opinion the ref called the foul from a knee jerk perspective ... saw the foul, blew his whistle without maybe thinking there was only 1.8 seconds left? They can't watch play and the clock at same time?

Guess I personally prefer any official NOT making that call unless a kid is threatened with injury due to the severity of the foul. This particular call did not rise to that level in my opinion. At the end of the day and at the end of that game, it came down to Mercer made those crucial FT's and SHA did not.

Great post. I will add we( as in like 5 of us) watched this over this morning. All agree, no walk.( they all originally thought she walked). This was a great high school game thats good for girls basketball. Lets hope we see two more rematches. LIT and State tourney.

Mercer Co. 65

Sacred Heart 63

Sacred Heart 23 14 16 10 63

Mercer Co. 15 16 13 21 65

Sacred Heart (4-1) -- Harris 2, Samsel 24, Sivils 1, Clemons 8, Berger 15, Toller 13.

Mercer Co. (2-1) -- Robins 12, L.Lake 3, Davis 22, F.Lake 4, Souder 21, McCombs 3.

3 Pts Sacred Heart Samsel 6/8, Toller 1/1

Mercer County Davis 3/6, McCombs 1/3, Robbins 1/7, F Lake 1/5, L. Lake 1/3, Souder 1/3