October 10, 200619 yr Author Why does it matter who makes the initial call? If Steinbach is smart enough to be the center and make the call, why can't he make the same call from the center position and then , as you say, everyone else makes adjustments? What is it about being lined up over the football that makes one not as smart as if they were 2 feet to the right or left? Having never played OL (I know. OBVIOUSLY) it would seem to be directly related with a C being the only person directly linked to both sides of the call. If a RG isn't pulling, what is his concern with a blitz over the LT? And if the LG makes the initial call, it's still on the young C to get it right as he passes it down the line, right???
October 10, 200619 yr You clearly have a better understanding of O-line play than I do, I concede that. However, I'm not ready to agree with you here. I may be alone, but I don't think CP is 100% comfortable and I think the WR situation is a big problem. Again, however, I think the O-line has been very average thus far, and I'm sure "some" of that falls on the Braham injury. I just think Levi and Willie being hobbled and getting beaten some is simply the result of them not being healthy and not a matter of incorrect line pick-ups. However, again, just to be clear -- you know more about the o-line play than I do. If Carson is not comfortable back there it probably has to do with him getting almost sacked as much already this year than he did all year long last year. I dont think its his knee anymore for hwy he is not comfortable, Im sure most QB's wouldn't look that comfortable with all the hits he is taken so far this year. In the game against KC, and then the first half of the game that Braham played against the Browns the line wasn't giving much up at all and Carson was looking great. But even during the Browns game once Braham went out the line started to give up some sacks and it has happened every game since. So I think hssportsrbest you have to admit that probably alot of it has to do with Braham being out. Remember 3 years ago when we had I think Mike Goff at center to start the year the line did terrible but once they put Braham back the line seemed to fix itself. Braham means a whole lot to how this offensive line performs...So with Steinbach in there at center who has played in big games along Braham he probably would be able to make the better calls, and just peform better physically against the Big nose tackles IMO. Also then having Whitworth in at guard also gives another big guy that can help stop all the inside rush that teams have gotten the last 2 weeks as GT said...
October 10, 200619 yr Having never played OL (I know. OBVIOUSLY) it would seem to be directly related with a C being the only person directly linked to both sides of the call. If a RG isn't pulling, what is his concern with a blitz over the LT? And if the LG makes the initial call, it's still on the young C to get it right as he passes it down the line, right??? So you're saying that the RG isn't going to make the right line call (or any call for that matter) simply because there's a blitz to the other side? What's that saying you always use ? I call......
October 10, 200619 yr Bucs 28 Bengals 14 Just curious as to what thus far this season leads you to believe this?
October 10, 200619 yr Having never played OL (I know. OBVIOUSLY) it would seem to be directly related with a C being the only person directly linked to both sides of the call. If a RG isn't pulling, what is his concern with a blitz over the LT? And if the LG makes the initial call, it's still on the young C to get it right as he passes it down the line, right??? It's can be very confusing on the high school calls. Like I said I'm sure the pro's do some things that are more complicated. Like GT said the Center isn't on either side of the line, he's in the middle. If the defense shows something late he calls that and makes adjustments. I'm thinking the center making the calls eliminates unneccesary confusion.
October 10, 200619 yr If Carson is not comfortable back there it probably has to do with him getting almost sacked as much already this year than he did all year long last year. I dont think its his knee anymore for hwy he is not comfortable, Im sure most QB's wouldn't look that comfortable with all the hits he is taken so far this year. In the game against KC, and then the first half of the game that Braham played against the Browns the line wasn't giving much up at all and Carson was looking great. But even during the Browns game once Braham went out the line started to give up some sacks and it has happened every game since. So I think hssportsrbest you have to admit that probably alot of it has to do with Braham being out. Remember 3 years ago when we had I think Mike Goff at center to start the year the line did terrible but once they put Braham back the line seemed to fix itself. Braham means a whole lot to how this offensive line performs...So with Steinbach in there at center who has played in big games along Braham he probably would be able to make the better calls, and just peform better physically against the Big nose tackles IMO. Also then having Whitworth in at guard also gives another big guy that can help stop all the inside rush that teams have gotten the last 2 weeks as GT said... :thumb: I agree HSSB that the injuries and recieving core play a part in this, but throwing under pressure and throwing with time are night and day.
October 10, 200619 yr Author So you're saying that the RG isn't going to make the right line call (or any call for that matter) simply because there's a blitz to the other side? What's that saying you always use ? I call...... I'm saying the RG call is very unlikely to have anything to do with the LT. If what you suggest is so easy, why does it happen on ZERO levels of football...
October 10, 200619 yr I'm saying the RG call is very unlikely to have anything to do with the LT. If what you suggest is so easy, why does it happen on ZERO levels of football... Good question. My point is that I have trouble believing that simply being one spot removed from the center precludes an NFL lineman from making the call. I'm guessing the answer is "that's the way its always been."
October 10, 200619 yr Good question. My point is that I have trouble believing that simply being one spot removed from the center precludes an NFL lineman from making the call. I'm guessing the answer is "that's the way its always been." I'll say it again. It's easy to mess it up. If we make it more difficult, it will be easier to mess up.
October 10, 200619 yr I'll say it again. It's easy to mess it up. If we make it more difficult, it will be easier to mess up. How is it easier to mess up?
October 10, 200619 yr How is it easier to mess up? The center makes calls all the way up to the time of the snap. How could RG see the left side and make an adjustment?
October 10, 200619 yr Author The center makes calls all the way up to the time of the snap. How could RG see the left side and make an adjustment? The only way he could is by ignoring his side and assignments...
October 10, 200619 yr If you are number blocking/base-blocking and the center misses his call then the guard and tackle and tight end miss their blocks as well. We had a center that numbered wrong a lot in high school and guys would go unaccounted for and make plays. The centers call dictates the back also. Having the guard make that initial call doesn't make sense. He's not in the middle telling both guards what to do.
October 10, 200619 yr The only way he could is by ignoring his side and assignments... Correct, once the call is made the communication continue's down the line. You call your chips and slips. If the defense shows something else though the center will sometimes check the zero count and you'll renumber. It's fairly complicated and the guard would have to check the play, relay it back to the center, then communicate with the tackle. I'm sure it's doable, but too much mayhem when the center could just call it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.