9th Region Cats Pause 2017-18

The stall ball game was one of the best coaching moves of all time.. 2 weeks prior highlands got beat by 30+ this kept them in the game. Any time your staff has a head coach with the knowledge and pedigree of Jamie and you partner that with the best assistant in the HS game IMO that's makes you one of the best coaching staffs in nky.

Worked great for Tony Yates too. Still a loss correct?

UC still sucks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT!

I am curious as well. Just ran through the numbers

from 2002-03 to last year

15 year run

298-156

6 District Titles

1 Regional Finals Appearance

0 Regional Titles

and lets not forget the infamous "stall ball" game in 2012 where they lost to NDA in the Regional Semi Finals 8-13

AGAIN, I think what coach Richey is an amazing person and coach just curious how the staff is "one of the best". Just a bold statement to me with not much to back it up.

Not much to back it up. 300 wins in 15 years. Holy Cross is the only 9th Region team to win a state title. Hardly like HHS is the only 9th region team to fall short on that metric.

How many HHS girls have gone D-I over the last 15 years? 5? 10? 15? More?

Or less? Hard to argue that Richey is under-performing in the talent factory that is Fort Thomas.

Here is what I SEE when I watch Highlands:

- Players that consistently play to their skill potential

- Players that consistently play to their athletic level

- Players (1-9) that compete for 32 minutes at a very high level

- Multiple offenses - both against "man" and zone defenses

- Multiple defenses - including press variations

- Great motion and selflessness on offense

- Very sound on-ball/off-ball fundamentals on defense

Here is what really strikes me about Richey - when her team NEEDS a basket she doesn't just give the ball to her best player with instructions to "make a play" - she draws something up that gets a good scorer a great look. Her ATO plays are exceptionally effective (Levandusky's are good, too).

I've watched enough 9th region basketball to see just about every variation of the dribble drive offense (including against zones) know to man. Highlands is IMO consistently better schematically than the other teams in the region - like watching a college team.

I don't think this team will be exceptionally talented - no Held, Scherr, - but I think they have the pieces to be successful. And the coaches to put those pieces together and put the team as a whole in a position to compete every game.

I agree with everything your saying 110%! Like I said ,"grain of salt". I believe this is a good coaching staff and hopefully one day coach Richey will get that 9th region title as a coach. I was just curious as to what you thought. Most people get on here and make bold statements only to be some parent who thinks their kid will win their school a state title. My last sentence was more to "poke the bear" and see what you could respond with.

Thanks for your insight!

The stall ball game was one of the best coaching moves of all time.. 2 weeks prior highlands got beat by 30+ this kept them in the game. Any time your staff has a head coach with the knowledge and pedigree of Jamie and you partner that with the best assistant in the HS game IMO that's makes you one of the best coaching staffs in nky.

Are basing it on Regional Championships or wins and losses?

IMO Highlands has a good coaching staff and the kids play hard but there are a lot of teams that have that. IMO in those 15 years there were many of those years they had the best talent in the region and only making the finals once to me doesn't make you the best coach in the region. I am not saying they aren't good because they get there girls to play hard. I think they bring girls up to fast at a young age and play them over upperclassman and a lot of times when you do that they don't get much better because they already get playing time or start at the varsity level.

Like him or not , Coach Perkins at Holmes has got to be on that best coaches list, I know he just retired, but give the man his due, an outstanding record and got his team to the regionals, I am also in the camp of Holy Cross having a very good coach, as for the Richies, they have did an outstanding job, and are outstanding folks.