Tennessee Football Program

RoyalWildcat

I think Les is a good coach, IMO LSU is going to regret firing him. The SEC needs UT to be UT and to get a good coach. Outside of Saban and maybe Kirby Smart the SEC doesn't really have the great coaches like it used to which is why I think they're going through a slump.

Does it really need UT though? During the hay day of the SEC, 8-9 years ago, Tennessee wasn't any good.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really need UT though? During the hay day of the SEC, 8-9 years ago, Tennessee wasn't any good.

It needs all it can get IMO. With UT, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Arkansas all being the bottom of the SEC and Florida not being the normal Florida you need Tennessee to be solid. I mean you have UK and Vandy working their way up and Georgia becoming a Title contender you just need to have the balance.

Other than Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia, the rest of the conference is average or mediocre.

It needs all it can get IMO. With UT, Ole Miss, Missouri, and Arkansas all being the bottom of the SEC and Florida not being the normal Florida you need Tennessee to be solid. I mean you have UK and Vandy working their way up and Georgia becoming a Title contender you just need to have the balance.

Other than Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia, the rest of the conference is average or mediocre.

Why does the SEC need Tennessee to be good if Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia are good? Aren't the best teams all we really care about anyways?

Why does the SEC need Tennessee to be good if Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia are good? Aren't the best teams all we really care about anyways?

Did you not understand what I said? If I'm the commissioner of the SEC do I only want 3 good teams or do I want 5-8? Yeah it's fine and dandy that Bama, Auburn, and Georgia are good, but I don't want Tennessee, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State being average or mediocre.

Did you not understand what I said? If I'm the commissioner of the SEC do I only want 3 good teams or do I want 5-8? Yeah it's fine and dandy that Bama, Auburn, and Georgia are good, but I don't want Tennessee, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Ole Miss, or Mississippi State being average or mediocre.
The biggest fallacy of the SEC is that the strength of the conference was built based on depth. This is simply false. The top of the conference is all that matters. The reputation of the conference was built on the backs of Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Nothing else. How does the conference make money? Alabama winning national championships.

Someone commented else where that the buyout for Butch and his coaches was over $13,000,000 and that he wasn't going anywhere. I found an article that stated that Tennessee was the 4th most valuable program in college football a couple of years ago valued at over $120,000,000 and was the 13th most profitable. That said if they want Butch gone...he will be gone.

Someone commented else where that the buyout for Butch and his coaches was over $13,000,000 and that he wasn't going anywhere. I found an article that stated that Tennessee was the 4th most valuable program in college football a couple of years ago valued at over $120,000,000 and was the 13th most profitable. That said if they want Butch gone...he will be gone.

Same with Orgeron at LSU. Lots of people keep saying they aren't going anywhere due to the buyout. All it takes in Knoxville and Baton Rouge is a couple of the boosters getting together and chipping in a mil or 2 and they are out the door. Especially if Tennessee is dropping names like Chip Kelly.

Same with Orgeron at LSU. Lots of people keep saying they aren't going anywhere due to the buyout. All it takes in Knoxville and Baton Rouge is a couple of the boosters getting together and chipping in a mil or 2 and they are out the door. Especially if Tennessee is dropping names like Chip Kelly.

Those schools don't even need boosters. That $13,000,000 isn't paid out at once, it's paid out over the length of the original contract...UT and LSU both can eat those $$$$ and never really miss it.

Those schools don't even need boosters. That $13,000,000 isn't paid out at once, it's paid out over the length of the original contract...UT and LSU both can eat those $$$$ and never really miss it.

Absolutely, I'm just saying the boosters will jump the gun on the school in order to exert their influence. No major university is hurting over 13 million dollars now a days. Considering the value a great coach brings to a school is essentially priceless.

The biggest fallacy of the SEC is that the strength of the conference was built based on depth. This is simply false. The top of the conference is all that matters. The reputation of the conference was built on the backs of Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Nothing else. How does the conference make money? Alabama winning national championships.

So in the last 11 years 4 different SEC teams have won National Championships, but depth is a myth.

Auburn

LSU

Florida - Twice

Alabama - 4 times

Bama, Auburn, and LSU also were each a runner up once during that time.

That's 4 seperate teams with multiple appearances in the championship game. What conference can come any where close to that?

So in the last 11 years 4 different SEC teams have won National Championships, but depth is a myth.

Auburn

LSU

Florida - Twice

Alabama - 4 times

Bama, Auburn, and LSU also were each a runner up once during that time.

That's 4 seperate teams with multiple appearances in the championship game. What conference can come any where close to that?

4 teams. That's the top of the league. When the SEC was at its best it was the top of the league that was carrying the load for the rest of the conference. During those time frames Alabama, Florida, Auburn, and LSU were just the best teams in the country. The idea of "depth" was simply false. They just had a few more contending teams than the other conferences. The idea that if those 4 schools weren't in the way that Arkansas and Tennesseee would have been national champions is what I take issue with. This has been the mentality of the SEC fan for over a decade and the constant let's all cheer for Bama because if they weren't so good we would in the national championship talk was ridiculous. Basically equating to we play Bama every year so we are better than you because you don't. The logic just doesn't make sense.