Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield 2017

Featured Replies

Since some folks caused this one to get canned a few days ago, while I was away I might add, I wanted to try it again and see if everyone can act accordingly this time.

 

 

What does Mayfield need to do to improve in 2017? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Author

I think, like many, the Cards go as the QB play goes. I look for a strong offensive veteran line to do well and though the likes of Bright running the ball cant be replaced I think the backs that will replace him will be really good. The receiving corps is loaded and if they and the QB can get on track this should be a really productive offense.

 

Defense will benefit from a excellent secondary and I think the LB corps led by Hurt will be pretty dang good. I am unsure where the d line will be and would love input on it.

 

The punting game lacked at times last year and I hope to see improvement. The kicking game was average last year and should also be atleast a little better.

 

The schedule is tough and the Cards could suffer a couple of early losses but should be a tough out by the playoffs. The playoffs move West this year and being at home might help the Cards.

Mayfield has a QB battle going and both are pretty good, so it will interesting to see how the coaching staff handles it. Mayfield will use several backs to replace Trajon Bright. I expect them to do well. Mayfield has a big and experienced line , thats a plus. I look for the Cards to contend for a state title and the good news is that all their playoff games will be at home.

Few pre season thoughts

While you can't argue the insane, record setting numbers Arnett put up. I like the return to a taller QB, which should lead to fewer of the tipped or knocked down passes at the line. With a seasoned OL line, either QB should be able to thrive in the pocket. Really want to see what the defense brings this year, there were a few teams that had success in moving the ball against our usually stingy defense. Looking for big breakout year from Q Cherry. Love his size and strength on the end.

Really like Mayfield's schedule. Hoptown, McCracken and Corbin ought to be interesting games. Honestly, I don't see the Cardinals being challenged in their district.

Really like Mayfield's schedule. Hoptown, McCracken and Corbin ought to be interesting games. Honestly, I don't see the Cardinals being challenged in their district.

 

Throw Union City , Tenn. in there too.

Will be an interesting year.

The non district schedule this year is going to be extremely tough, all 7 games:

 

Union City, Tn. - Most likely the #1 2a team in Tn., at least Top 3..

Corbin - Top 5 3a team, at worse. Could easily make a case for #1 or #2..

Hop'Town - Most likely a Top 5 4a team, possibly higher..

McCracken Co - Solid 6A team, borderline Top 10, may be closer to Top 15 this year..

Caldwell Co. - Always tough 3a team, likely in the 6-7 range this year..

Graves Co. - Better than average 5a team and always tough County rival..

Tilghman - Big rival, always tough 3a team, albeit, down a bit from past PT teams..

The non district schedule this year is going to be extremely tough, all 7 games:

 

Union City, Tn. - Most likely the #1 2a team in Tn., at least Top 3..

Corbin - Top 5 3a team, at worse. Could easily make a case for #1 or #2..

Hop'Town - Most likely a Top 5 4a team, possibly higher..

McCracken Co - Solid 6A team, borderline Top 10, may be closer to Top 15 this year..

Caldwell Co. - Always tough 3a team, likely in the 6-7 range this year..

Graves Co. - Better than average 5a team and always tough County rival..

Tilghman - Big rival, always tough 3a team, albeit, down a bit from past PT teams..

 

Good Schedule.

I REALLY like the tougher schedule! Hoptown and Union City will be formidable foes and will test the Cardinals early. Makes for more enjoyable Friday night viewing but I hope it also helps come tournament time. We will have a couple of hurdles after the regular season is over.

I think both QB's will do well and we can win games with either. The O-line is among the best there are and should give the QB time to do some work.

Is this schedule more difficult than past schedules? Mayfield always plays a tough schedule. There may be changes in the lineup but Mayfield will be there challenging for the title at playoff time. They always are.

Losing Ft. Campbell and Marshall Co. And replacing them with Union City and Hopkins ville will certainly be a big step up to start the season. I'd love to win them both, but I would not be too down though if we went 1 and 1 or 0 and 2, as long as we play smart and hard throughout.

I talked to one of my close friends from UC. He said this will be a down year for Union City. They are trying incorporate a passing game into theiroffense which they've never had. He said from what he's been hear from some of the players that work for him, it's not looking like a promising year like years past. Their qb isn't really a passer. More of a scrambling qb.

I talked to one of my close friends from UC. He said this will be a down year for Union City. They are trying incorporate a passing game in to their offense which they've never had. He said from what he's been hear from some of the players that work for him, it's not looking like a promising year like years past.

I talked to one of my close friends from UC. He said this will be a down year for Union City. They are trying incorporate a passing game in to their offense which they've never had. He said from what he's been hear from some of the players that work for him, it's not looking like a promising year like years past.

 

Don't let him fool you.. I've heard just the opposite.. They return 19 starters from last years team that went 11-2 and it's only 2 losses to eventual state champion Dresden, who was absolutely loaded last year.. They'll be very formidable..

Did the Cards scrimmage Madisonville Friday? If so, how'd they do, for anyone that may have went?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.