Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Supergroups

Featured Replies

Rush's Alex Lifeson's one and only solo effort was a 1996 project called "Victor" with an album of the same name where he used the services on various tracks of Les Claypool (Primus etc.),Canadian vocalist Edwin (I Mother Earth, Crash Karma),

and Canadian female singer/songwriter Dalbello.

 

[video=youtube;5gl-WMuo-eM]

  • Replies 45
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an experiment IMO gone horribly wrong, in 1995 David Bowie teamed up with Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails to create the Brian Eno produced release "Outside" where they painted a dark edgy haunting slop of negative industrial nonsense.

 

Coincidentally this was the only time that I had ever seen Bowie live, and for that matter Nine Inch Nails. Of all times to see him when I should've picked any one of his other 20+ releases to catch him.

 

This is about the only tune from the release that I can sorta deal with, and really just on one of those days that I'm considering slashing my wrists.

 

 

In truth this one tune from "Outside" was about as close to Bowie's not so dark usual form as the album got... but Meh.

 

 

It may sound sacrilege to say, and I realize that Bowie was starring at death's door when writing it, but I just cannot listen to his last release "Blackstar" at all. It takes me to a very dark depressing place that I just don't want to be.

Temple of the Dog

 

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

Jeff Ament (Mother Love Bone)

Stone Gossard (Mother Love Bone)

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam)

Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden)

 

Mad Season

 

Layne Staley (Alice in Chains)

Mike McCready (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog)

Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees)

Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees)

John Baker Saunders (The Walkabouts)

 

  • Author
The Power Station was a 1980's supergroup made up of singer Robert Palmer, former Chic drummer Tony Thompson, and Duran Duran members John Taylor on bass, and Andy Taylor on guitar.

 

 

Mrs. Lawnboy BIG fan of this group.

  • Author
GTR were a British rock band founded in 1985 by former Yes and Asia guitarist Steve Howe, and former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett.

 

[video=youtube;-taPFcAMDjs]

 

Awesome tune!

Though many bands from this video have already been mentioned, still a nice compilation displaying the Top 10.

 

As a side note the number 10 band mentioned, the Jack White lead "The Raconteurs" were also comprised of Jack Lawrence on Bass, and drummer Patrick Keeler, both of the great Cincinnati garage band "The Greenhornes".

 

During the 2006 version of the "Rock Star" reality TV series that originally began as a contest to find a replacement lead singer for INXS in 2005, the band "Rock Star Supernova" was formed in the 2nd and final season made up of Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses), Johnny Colt (Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Black Crowes), Jason Newsted (Metallica), and contestant winner Canadian Lukas Rossi where they released one album that peaked at 101 on the US charts, but debuted at No. 4 on the Canadian charts.

 

On a brief side note here is "Rock Star Supernova" contestant winner and vocalist Lukas Rossi covering Adele's "Hello".

 

When it first began I cringed, but hung in there to find that I actually dig his power rockin' version of the tune. Sure it has that sheen that I typically despise when rockers amp up famous tunes this way, (Think Disturbed - Sound of Silence, or Shinedown - Simple Man), but I have to say that I really like it.

 

Black Country Communion.

 

Joe Bonamassa

Jason Bonham

Glenn Hughes

Derek Sherinian

Down

This is the original lineup

Phil Anselmo-Pantera

Pepper Keenan-Corrosion of Conformity

Kirk Windstein-Crowbar

Jimmy Bower-Crowbar/COC

Todd Strange-Crowbar

Their debut album NOLA, is one of my top 10 all time favorites. They have released 5 albums in 26 years. Also, they are one of the very bands that I still make an effort to see live.

 

Yes Sir...I have a original copy on vinyl. Not a easy get or cheap. Also in my top 10...

Although not successful as a "supergroup" this song absolutely kicks butt, and I like this version better than the original from Mott The Hoople.

 

Contraband - 1991

 

Richard Black (Shark Island)

Michael Schenker (Scorpions, UFO, Michael Schenker Group)

Tracii Guns (Guns N' Roses, L.A. Guns)

Share Pedersen (Vixen)

Bobby Blotzer (Ratt)

 

Contraband ~"All The Way To Memphis" (1991) Ratt L.A.Guns MSG Vixon Shark Island - YouTube

 

It is such a good cover. It's one of my favorite 10 songs ever. Just a jam.

Black Country Communion.

 

Joe Bonamassa

Jason Bonham

Glenn Hughes

Derek Sherinian

Glenn Hughes is possibly the best singer I have ever heard. Him and David Coverdale doing "Burn" while in Deep Purple is a classic. Now in his 60's, he still delivers.

Yes Sir...I have a original copy on vinyl. Not a easy get or cheap. Also in my top 10...

 

Great analog production, that no doubt sounds perfect on vinyl.

Derrick and the Dominoes--Eric Clapton, Duane Allman and 3 other dudes from Delaney and Bonnie

 

Journey(pre Steve Perry)--Neil Schon/Greg Rolie (Santana), Ross Valory (Steve Miller Band)

 

I'd call Ozzy's first solo band a Supergroup--Ozzy (Black Sabbath), Randy Rhoads (Quiet Riot), Bob Daisley (Rainbow), Lee Kerslake (Uriah Heep)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.