The 15 Top Performing Counties in Kentucky High School Football

ATLCat

I would have thought Kenton, with CovCath having 6 titles, and beechwood with 12ish(don't know the correct number) would be higher up the list.

Thinking the parameters limiting from 2000 - present make a difference (Titles: Beechwood - 4, CCH - 1, Holy Cross - 1), compounded by the number of schools, winning % of all schools,

and county population, dilute the "Strength Rating."

ATLCat, can you please fill in the numbers for us?

Thinking the parameters limiting from 2000 - present make a difference (Titles: Beechwood - 4, CCH - 1, Holy Cross - 1), compounded by the number of schools, winning % of all schools,

Yep... for every Beechwood there is a Holmes. Kenton is a big County and if we extended this into the 90's I am sure their ranking would have been higher

I love these threads ATLCat but I have to ask... are you the kind of guy that makes spreadsheets for everything? :lol2:

Believe it or not this was a first for me. I had to teach myself some basic Excel stuff like how to do formulas and how to drag cells to copy that formula over all the rows.

With that said.. this was a nerdy subject I have wanted to research because I had not seen it done before and figured it would give us something to discuss here in the duldroms of Summer.

I figure there had to be at least some stat geeks out there like me that would appreciate it.... Bueller...Bueller :D

ATLCat, can you please fill in the numbers for us?

KENTON

Pop: 161,502

Record: 940-860 (52.22%)

W.P.S.: 6.14

Titles: 6

Finals: 11

Semi's: 20

Regional Finals: 37

Winning Seasons: 72

Strength Rating: 0.836

Believe it or not this was a first for me. I had to teach myself some basic Excel stuff like how to do formulas and how to drag cells to copy that formula over all the rows.

With that said.. this was a nerdy subject I have wanted to research because I had not seen it done before and figured it would give us something to discuss here in the duldroms of Summer.

I figure there had to be at least some stat geeks out there like me that would appreciate it.... Bueller...Bueller :D

This is all, just brilliant. Kudos for learning and bootstrapping the software, then sharing the fruits of your labors with us. Betting every sports fan has "stat nerd" as part of their DNA.

Love the slow reveal on the threads. Hoping you have some other rankings for us.

Where does Logan County rank within these listings. It would seem that Russellville's sucesses would offset the futility that Logan County has shown in the past few years.

You would be correct

A respectable #33

How exactly does population figure into the calculation of the strength rating? I've got to admit, I was very confused not to see Jefferson county at #1 until I realized that population was part of the mix.

Think of it as a pound per pound...

It stands to reason that if you have more people you have a larger talent pool and the championships and success should come with that.

These strength ratings are judging everyone on this "pound for pound" basis to see which Counties are doing more with less, doing less with more, or tracking about where they should.

Based off where Jefferson County is I would say this stands to reason that on the whole Jefferson County is essentially performing exactly as they should for as large of a city as Louisville is. Conversely, Fayette County seems to be under performing. With where Warren County is ranked it would suggest it is slightly overachieving.

It also highlights that smaller areas such as Danville and Mayfield are extremely over performing given the population base they have to pull from.

Think of it as a pound per pound...

It stands to reason that if you have more people you have a larger talent pool and the championships and success should come with that.

These strength ratings are judging everyone on this "pound for pound" basis to see which Counties are doing more with less, doing less with more, or tracking about where they should.

Based off where Jefferson County is I would say this stands to reason that on the whole Jefferson County is essentially performing exactly as they should for as large of a city as Louisville is. Conversely, Fayette County seems to be under performing. With where Warren County is ranked it would suggest it is slightly overachieving.

It also highlights that smaller areas such as Danville and Mayfield are extremely over performing given the population base they have to pull from.

Oh, I understand why you did it, I was asking for the literal way it figures into the formula. Chuckle, I suppose that wasn't exactly clear from my post.

Oh, I understand why you did it, I was asking for the literal way it figures into the formula. Chuckle, I suppose that wasn't exactly clear from my post.

So without going too deep into the complex formula:

(Sum of weighted achievements) + (Weighted Value of Winning Seasons and Total Seasons) / Weight of Population