50 Years Of Covington Catholic Football

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

30 years ago today (Nov. 28, 1987) CovCath earned its first state title by knocking off No. 1 & unbeaten Paducah Tilghman 16-6 in the 3A finals.

30 years ago today (Nov. 28, 1987) CovCath earned its first state title by knocking off No. 1 & unbeaten Paducah Tilghman 16-6 in the 3A finals. Lynn Ray's Colonels were led by LB Mike Woolf, whose 35-yard pick-six sealed the victory. Tilghman featured Mr. Football Kurt Barber.

CWB did more than just a little that Friday but I do know, it was a labor of love for him to do it.

Great job by you and other, it was a very enjoyable night and as I posted prior even without beating Highlands.

In what way?!

In actually getting my jersey retired or the ceremony at the game or what?!

Apparently WCPO is doing research for coverage of Saturday's game. They had this video posted recently as well...

I love the old school Cov Cath uniforms.

30 years ago today (Nov. 28, 1987) CovCath earned its first state title by knocking off No. 1 & unbeaten Paducah Tilghman 16-6 in the 3A finals.

30 years ago today (Nov. 28, 1987) CovCath earned its first state title by knocking off No. 1 & unbeaten Paducah Tilghman 16-6 in the 3A finals. Lynn Ray's Colonels were led by LB Mike Woolf, whose 35-yard pick-six sealed the victory. Tilghman featured Mr. Football Kurt Barber.

What a magical time. I talked to Coach Ray recently about his first title and that team. Told me they were limited on O but a bunch of blue collars. He said the D was big- for the time-, fast, athletic and most importantly, the meanest bunch he ever coached. His words. I know that was just a fun time.

Back then you just hoped they’d win one. Then they won a bunch and it was expected and expectations got stupid. The 06 team brought a little of that magic back and this team has brought all of it back, if they win it. Good luck to all the players, coaches and fans of Cch.

What a magical time. I talked to Coach Ray recently about his first title and that team. Told me they were limited on O but a bunch of blue collars. He said the D was big- for the time-, fast, athletic and most importantly, the meanest bunch he ever coached. His words. I know that was just a fun time.

Back then you just hoped they’d win one. Then they won a bunch and it was expected and expectations got stupid. The 06 team brought a little of that magic back and this team has brought all of it back, if they win it. Good luck to all the players, coaches and fans of Cch.

The 97 team was special too.. Mudbowl... Beat a 20 year old running back at state that went on to play NFL..... I love CCH... won’t compare teams, all are special!!!

For sure. We thought about leaving at half time to go to FT Pub but stuck around thank goodness. Made the pub that much better later on!!

I remember turning to my buddy in north end zone on Birds first series in 2nd half and asking why they were trying to throw. Glad they did. Would have loved being fly on wall for that halftime talk by Coach Ray.