O.J. Howard

Refresh me again why you don't think linebacker is a pressing need?

The Bengals over the last 9 years have rarely played 3 LBS at a time on the field. The Bengals love going Nickel as basically as their base defense. The Bengals have one of the best LBs in football in Tez. Just signed a young fast MLB with experience in Minter who they most likely will want to keep even after this year. They have Vigil who they drafted last year who they are very high on. Then Vinny Rey is probably one of the best backup LBS in the league and can play any spot.

If the Bengals ran a 3 4 defense then yeah LB would be a pressing need. With how the Bengals play their defense it is not. The Bengals love using only their D line to rush the passer. So something like a pass rushing Defensive end is a true pressing need.

• 2 weeks later...
In terms of pressing needs. What do you think they should do? Imo LB is not a pressing need. There is not really a tackle worthy of a top 10 pick this year. A pass rushing DE is a pressing need. However if people like Solomn Thomas is not there at 9. Then I don't think you just take one to take one, since pass rushers are deep in this draft class.

TE while not a need. Does give the offense another weapon, which is a need. Plus makes their offense more dynamic again, which it wasn't last year.

We've been on spring break and I didn't check this forum.

I'm on board with drafting Foster.

Minter's on a one year deal. Can't count on him resigning with the Bengals.

Burficts contract is up after next year(17 or 18, I'm not sure which).

What's left in the LB corp after those two? Vigil, good, but not great.

So to answer your question, I think our most pressing needs are LB, DL, OL and CB.

The top DL will be gone at 9. While OL and CB are needs, they are not 1st round level needs.

TE would be my 6th or 7th need for the team.

The Bengals over the last 9 years have rarely played 3 LBS at a time on the field.

Is that because they haven't had 3 capable LB's?

Imagine a LB corp comprised of Burfict, Minter and Foster as starters with Vigil and Rey as backups. THAT is the kind of speed and violence we need at LB.

We still need a good DE and can get one in the draft.

Is that because they haven't had 3 capable LB's?

Imagine a LB corp comprised of Burfict, Minter and Foster as starters with Vigil and Rey as backups. THAT is the kind of speed and violence we need at LB.

We still need a good DE and can get one in the draft.

No it's not. The Bengals simply prefer being in their nickel set with 2 Lbs. And 5 dbs.

Not to mention he has a shoulder injury coming out already. He most likely wouldn't play much since they don't use 3 backers much. So I don't view it as a pressing need.

I am looking more for them to get a guy who can make an immediate impact this year. Over the last 5 years since we usually drafted in the 20s. Bengals drafted best player available but didn't necessarily need that guy to step up right away.

With them having a top 10 pick, and in basically a refresh mode. I rather them get a guy who would make an immediate impact with that first pick this year.

I agree on De is a very pressing need. However since the top 2 guys won't fall to them. They could get one later. I would prefer them then to take either a wr or the Te Howard. WR or Howard would have more of an immediate impact than Foster would Imo.

The more I think about it the more I like taking OJ Howard if he's available (I'm not sure he'll even drop to the Bengals now). Obviously if one of the stud D linemen fall to the Bengals (Thomas or Allen) they need to take them. But if they are gone I don't think we have a bonafide second place position that we have to cover in the first round. Then it becomes best player available and OJ Howard seemingly fits that mold. Dude is a monster. The only thing I don't like about him is how he did tend to disappear a lot for Bama. But I don't think I'm qualified to say if that's his fault though.

I agree and think this is where the Bengals are on the pick - Howard or DE. For those who question the need for Howard, if Eifert can't stay on the field what good is he? If he is healthy, you go to two tight end sets and use that set to help the young tackles in the running game. Or you have two TE's that you can split out who are like having more WR's on the field. A lot of flexibility in that lineup.

I agree and think this is where the Bengals are on the pick - Howard or DE. For those who question the need for Howard, if Eifert can't stay on the field what good is he? If he is healthy, you go to two tight end sets and use that set to help the young tackles in the running game. Or you have two TE's that you can split out who are like having more WR's on the field. A lot of flexibility in that lineup.

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...