March 18, 20179 yr The Bengals mock draft on its website had them taking OJ Howard. I never really considered him for that pick. However the more I think about it, I kind of would like it. He runs a 4.5 40 which is barely slower than the top rated wr Mike Williams. With the Bengals using two young tackles, the best way to protect them is to have two te sets. It will make teams have to keep their base personnel in. Which should give the Bengals mis matches in the passing game. Or if a team wants to bring in a extra DB, then they should be able to run the ball vetter. Plus gives them protection in case they can't get Eifert to sign back.
March 20, 20179 yr OJ Howard would be a luxury pick at this spot. We have too many holes to fill before TE. Also the potential is obviously there with Howard as we saw in the '16 Title game but he has a tendency to disappear IMO. Maybe that was just the design of the Bama offense though. Either way I don't think it would the wisest choice with our first pick.
March 20, 20179 yr He is one of the best players in the draft but there is plenty of good TEs in the draft.
March 24, 20179 yr The more I think about it the more I like taking OJ Howard if he's available (I'm not sure he'll even drop to the Bengals now). Obviously if one of the stud D linemen fall to the Bengals (Thomas or Allen) they need to take them. But if they are gone I don't think we have a bonafide second place position that we have to cover in the first round. Then it becomes best player available and OJ Howard seemingly fits that mold. Dude is a monster. The only thing I don't like about him is how he did tend to disappear a lot for Bama. But I don't think I'm qualified to say if that's his fault though.
March 24, 20179 yr They're gonna draft Peppers I'm afraid. No way they take Peppers that high. No way anyone takes him that high. If Adams and Hooker are still on the board and the Bengals take Peppers it would be an absolute travesty. Peppers is a project in the NFL. You don't waste that high of a pick on a project. What makes you think they'll go safety? Sorry for the rant haha, I just spent the entirety of last season bashing Peppers for being the most overrated player in college football and it would be the ultimate karma if I had to start rooting for him because the Bengals signed him.
March 24, 20179 yr Author The more I think about it the more I like taking OJ Howard if he's available (I'm not sure he'll even drop to the Bengals now). Obviously if one of the stud D linemen fall to the Bengals (Thomas or Allen) they need to take them. But if they are gone I don't think we have a bonafide second place position that we have to cover in the first round. Then it becomes best player available and OJ Howard seemingly fits that mold. Dude is a monster. The only thing I don't like about him is how he did tend to disappear a lot for Bama. But I don't think I'm qualified to say if that's his fault though. That's exactly how I felt at first. Then I started to think about it after I heard someone else mention it, and I liked it. Doing more 2 TE sets would help the young tackles. Should help the running game, or if teams keep their base defense in against our 2 TEs then we would give the defense huge matchup problems. Plus gives them insurance in case Eifert gets hurt or leaves after this year.
March 25, 20179 yr There is a reason I mocked him to the Titans in the mock draft we did. He is the best pass catcher in this draft IMO. Good not great blocker but that can be improved. He will be a great pro.
March 29, 20179 yr Here is an alternative route to get another great TE for a much better value. Where is Jake Butt projected? I know he isn't going to play this year, but before he got hurt I thought he was the best TE not named OJ Howard. Any thoughts on taking a gamble on Butt?
March 29, 20179 yr Here is an alternative route to get another great TE for a much better value. Where is Jake Butt projected? I know he isn't going to play this year, but before he got hurt I thought he was the best TE not named OJ Howard. Any thoughts on taking a gamble on Butt? He's expected early 3rd
March 29, 20179 yr He's expected early 3rd So without the injury he's probably an early 2nd maybe late 1st. That's a pretty good value pick.
March 29, 20179 yr So without the injury he's probably an early 2nd maybe late 1st. That's a pretty good value pick. This is a super deep TE class. He would probably be the 2nd TE off the board full healthy near the end of the first.
March 31, 20179 yr Reuter 5-round mock draft: Surprise QB lands in Round 1 - NFL.com I really hope the Bengals don't draft him. I think there are other more pressing needs. Interesting note about the above mock draft, New England is taking Butt in the 3rd Round at pick #72. If he slid past them, then I'd be ok with the Bengals taking Butt at #73
April 1, 20179 yr Author Reuter 5-round mock draft: Surprise QB lands in Round 1 - NFL.com I really hope the Bengals don't draft him. I think there are other more pressing needs. Interesting note about the above mock draft, New England is taking Butt in the 3rd Round at pick #72. If he slid past them, then I'd be ok with the Bengals taking Butt at #73 In terms of pressing needs. What do you think they should do? Imo LB is not a pressing need. There is not really a tackle worthy of a top 10 pick this year. A pass rushing DE is a pressing need. However if people like Solomn Thomas is not there at 9. Then I don't think you just take one to take one, since pass rushers are deep in this draft class. TE while not a need. Does give the offense another weapon, which is a need. Plus makes their offense more dynamic again, which it wasn't last year.
April 1, 20179 yr In terms of pressing needs. What do you think they should do? Imo LB is not a pressing need. There is not really a tackle worthy of a top 10 pick this year. A pass rushing DE is a pressing need. However if people like Solomn Thomas is not there at 9. Then I don't think you just take one to take one, since pass rushers are deep in this draft class. TE while not a need. Does give the offense another weapon, which is a need. Plus makes their offense more dynamic again, which it wasn't last year. Refresh me again why you don't think linebacker is a pressing need?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.