Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

N. Ky. Big School State Champions?

Featured Replies

In the late 80's, Campbell, Boone, Holmes and Dixie were all 4A. I'm thinking Conner was also but not 100% on that.

 

I don't recall Dixie being AAAA but so much has changed over the years.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dixie, SK, Holmes, Campbell Co & Boone used to be the only 4A schools in NKY. Back then only the District winner advanced into the playoffs. Once Scott, Ryle and Cooper were built over the years changed the whole district alignment and playoff qualifications. The big NKY schools have changed from 3A all the way up to 6A over the years. I'm talking about dating back into the seventies until now.

Dixie, SK, Holmes, Campbell Co & Boone used to be the only 4A schools in NKY. Back then only the District winner advanced into the playoffs. Once Scott, Ryle and Cooper were built over the years changed the whole district alignment and playoff qualifications. The big NKY schools have changed from 3A all the way up to 6A over the years. I'm talking about dating back into the seventies until now.

 

I'm not sure Simon Kenton was ever in the largest class back then. I'd have to check to be sure.

I'm not sure Simon Kenton was ever in the largest class back then. I'd have to check to be sure.

 

SK was AAAA from 2000 - 2006.

SK was AAAA from 2000 - 2006.

 

I was thinking about the 1980s and 90s, but thanks for that clarification. I had forgotten about their time in AAAA during the 00s.

I definitely think Ryle had a legitimate shot at winning state in 2010. They beat a good Highlands team that year and advanced to Thanksgiving weekend losing at home to Trinity 28-9. Game was 7-3 Trinity at half. Trinity went on to beat Male 38-0 in the final. Male played Scott Co. in the other semifinal who lost to Boone Co. in the regular season. Ryle beat Boone by 3 TD's that year. Take Trinity and Male out of the equation that would have left a Scott Co vs. Ryle final and i would have liked Ryle's chances in that one. The Raiders finished 12-2 with only loss in regular season at Highlands. (played them twice home and away)

 

I'll second this assessment..........looks like this Ryle team might qualify under the heading of this thread !

I don't recall Dixie being AAAA but so much has changed over the years.

 

I know Dixie was AAA in 88 and 89 for sure. They were in the district with Highlands and Cov Cath. Only top 2 teams went to playoffs and Dixie was always the third wheel.

SK was 4A in the early 70's when the state added a 4th level and I'm pretty sure they have stayed in the largest KY classification since. Dixie and Holmes have dropped and changed classes several times since the 70's.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.