Bluegrasspreps' Class 2A Rankings - Discussion (9-19)

Ram

Class 2A

1. Mayfield vs. 3A #2 Corbin (at Lindsey Wilson College)

2. Christian Academy-Louisville -- OPEN

3. DeSales -- OPEN

4. Owensboro Catholic at Butler County

5. Danville vs. Green County

6. Newport Central Catholic at 6A Conner

7. Lexington Christian Academy vs. 1A #8 Fairview

8. Glasgow vs. 5A #4 Greenwood

9. Covington Holy Cross vs. 1A #4 Beechwood

10. Lloyd Memorial at 3A #10 Garrard County

Is Mayfield unstoppable? Does CAL stand the best chance of knocking them off? DeSales? Is Danville the dark horse to see Mayfield? Who has a chance to move into the Top 10 this coming week? Who could drop out after this week. How much would a loss to Beechwood hurt Holy Cross?

I look for Mayfield to go into the semi-finals undefeated, and they will come in as the deserved favorite against DeSales or CAL. From DeSales' perspective, we saw what we were hoping to see on Friday - continued progression. RB Simpson returned and scored a TD. The sophomore QB looked good again both running and passing, including two 35-plus yard go routes to the highly touted freshman WR. The Colts have a dangerous asset that they lacked last season - big play capability. They have at least two guys that if they break free likely will not be caught from behind. DeSales was experienced and very methodical last year - big and bruising. This year they are the exact opposite - a work in progress with speed everywhere and significantly more upside.

Danville is the overwhelming favorite to make the finals from the East...NCC would be the Dark Horse in the East due to Danville being such a favorite.

I am not sure I would make that statement until seeing how Mayfield and Corbin shakes out.

If Mayfield boat races Corbin then I think you might narrow that gap with Danville and NewCath

If Corbin beats Mayfield or takes them to the wire then I think it validates Danville's position as the favorite in the East

I am not sure I would call NewCath a "darkhorse" under any circumstance though. Those boys simply know how to get to Bowling Green and win when it matters. I would probably quantify them as "the next in line". NewCath's D-Ends and LB's are going to be major problems for any 2A team they face.

Corbin showed the blueprint to beating Danville is to play physical at the LOS and control tempo. NewCath may be one of the only teams capable of doing that on the East.

I do question if NewCath has enough Offensive firepower or big play ability to win the East this year though.

I am not sure I would make that statement until seeing how Mayfield and Corbin shakes out.

If Mayfield boat races Corbin then I think you might narrow that gap with Danville and NewCath

If Corbin beats Mayfield or takes them to the wire then I think it validates Danville's position as the favorite in the East

I am not sure I would call NewCath a "darkhorse" under any circumstance though. Those boys simply know how to get to Bowling Green and win when it matters. I would probably quantify them as "the next in line". NewCath's D-Ends and LB's are going to be major problems for any 2A team they face.

Corbin showed the blueprint to beating Danville is to play physical at the LOS and control tempo. NewCath may be one of the only teams capable of doing that on the East.

I do question if NewCath has enough Offensive firepower or big play ability to win the East this year though.

It's hard to use those types of comparisons...matchups, style and game flow can all give us a false reading when comparing teams based on common opponents.

again. Watch out for cov holy cross.

Prove they can beat beechwood and they may get some respect.. Which to be in the top 10 they are getting respect as the NKY district has 3 teams in the top 10. Somerset is worthy or making the top 10 as well.