Freshman Regionals

mexitucky

Actually the Coaches association rules state that in order to play in either the freshman tournament or JV tournament a player must have participated in a % of that teams games played. I believe they must have played in 75 % of the games. So for instance if you are a freshman, you are only eligible for the tournament if the player played in % 75 of that freshman teams games up to the time of the tournament

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the Coaches association rules state that in order to play in either the freshman tournament or JV tournament a player must have participated in a % of that teams games played. I believe they must have played in 75 % of the games. So for instance if you are a freshman, you are only eligible for the tournament if the player played in % 75 of that freshman teams games up to the time of the tournament

Are these rules fairly new?

Those are the two best teams we have faced this year. Glad they are opposite side of the bracket along with NCC. In my opinion right side of bracket looks tougher than the left judging by the teams we have faced. Upper left looks stronger than lower left.

While the freshman players and parents may be the only ones who care about winning the tournament, I think winning it helps build confidence. It may also help programs looking to re-establish themselves and attract players who are on the fence about trying out. I constantly hear how strong soccer is in this area and then I go to freshman games and see 5 or more grade school kids playing on teams because they cannot get any high school aged kids to tryout. I would love to see more involvement from freshman.

No, they have been in place a long time (10 years), but as thatguy404 stated, they were re discussed, and re instituted by the association after the Scott issue four years ago. Like anything else, coaches who want to circumvent the rule will always find away or try to ignore. The problem is to punish a team you need to ban them from the tournament, and then you punish even more innocent players

Started 3 or 4 years ago. It was the year Scott won the JV regional. I think they had their entire Varsity squad except for a few who were seniors.

LOL. I had completely forgotten about this incident. If I recall, Scott had a bunch of varsity kids playing in the JV regional and they still lost. Along the way, one of their varsity kids got a red card in the JV game. The former coach saw it acceptable to play the same kid in a varsity game either that day or the next......where he got red carded again if memory serves me. Classy.

Brossart won. Unfortunately for the Stangs, that team makes up the bulk of their Varsity now. We will see how they turn out over the next couple of seasons.

Yes, I knew the answer before asking it. Since the JV regional is also coming up, we will see this issue come up again at that point.