Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Freshman Regionals

Featured Replies

Don't get me started....for years I have always said that if one Freshman is cut, then no 8 th or lower graders should be kept. You cut an actual "high school student" of that school and keep a "non student" of that high school......not saying they are doing this, but if any school is, then.......

 

Ps.....if no students are cut and middle schoolers make the team, then everyone competes for playing time. Better middle schoolers play over high schoolers if they make the team, AND no one was cut........

 

In my opinion....and if you don't agree, well you are wrong..........bless your heart.

I see what you are saying but don't necessarily agree (and I guess I am wrong). First, with the age group changes you will have 8th graders who have no team to play on in the fall. They are in effect full time high school players now. I think they should be treated just like freshmen. I agree no school should cut a freshman FOR a middle school player, but what if a freshman was going to get cut anyways whether or not you were picking up middle school players? So say without middle schoolers you might have 18 on the roster, but with a few middle school players you now have 20 or 21. I really don't think a program should deny the opportunity for these 7th or 8th graders to play when a freshman wouldn't have made a team anyways.

 

Like I said, I understand what you are saying, and I agree in principle. But I don't think it is universally practical.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I'd love to see the max games for freshmen set at 14 or 16; frosh games played on mostly weekdays; weekends generally left open for club games; and freshmen regionals changed in format to get first two rounds self-scheduled and played prior to the finals weekend so that on finals weekend you could do semis on Friday night and finals and 3rd/4th place game on Saturday on a full sized field (same tournament format for JV regionals, too).

 

4 games in 24 hours is stupid

I see what you are saying but don't necessarily agree (and I guess I am wrong). First, with the age group changes you will have 8th graders who have no team to play on in the fall. They are in effect full time high school players now. I think they should be treated just like freshmen. I agree no school should cut a freshman FOR a middle school player, but what if a freshman was going to get cut anyways whether or not you were picking up middle school players? So say without middle schoolers you might have 18 on the roster, but with a few middle school players you now have 20 or 21. I really don't think a program should deny the opportunity for these 7th or 8th graders to play when a freshman wouldn't have made a team anyways.

 

Like I said, I understand what you are saying, and I agree in principle. But I don't think it is universally practical.

 

I think the birth year registration actually shifted things the other direction so that now half the 9th graders are playing club. There shouldn't be any 8th grader who can't find a select team of some level of play for the fall (unless they are a full year older).

^ I wasn't aware that most frosh teams played the bulk of their schedule on weekends. I thought most of the schools with lights played tri-matches. As for ref availability, I was suggesting overall fewer games AND they currently get the games covered for the tournament at T&C.

 

My point was that adding any games to the weekdays is going to be frowned upon and almost impossible. They cover the weekends because people don't have work and last I went it is mostly two man.

 

I like your sentiment but adding games to weeknights is not likely to happen.

I just looked at CCH schedule. If you do not include this weekend and the Freshman showcase, they have had one Saturday game. Al the rest are during the weekdays. Do they do a Freshman Regional for the girls teams? When my daughter played about 4 years ago they did not have a regional.

 

Ryle and Highlands boys are similar... I think they only play one Saturday game each besides the freshmen showcase and freshmen regionals. It still means the kids playing club also are grinding it 6 and 7 days a week, but at least they don't have to try to do both club and high school games most weekends.

I think the birth year registration actually shifted things the other direction so that now half the 9th graders are playing club. There shouldn't be any 8th grader who can't find a select team of some level of play for the fall (unless they are a full year older).

Maybe this is the case in NKY but not necessarily in other parts of the state. Are most U15 teams playing a fall season? Definitely not the case south of you guys, so 8th graders who are 02s have no team to play on unless they just want to guest with a U14 team. I see most of the U15 teams in KSSL are actually 03 teams. I am guessing they have some 02s playing with them just for the fall season. That is an option, but if you can't play with your actual club team why not just play full time with the school you are going to go to instead of guesting with some random team?

Updates on scores and brackets for the freshmen regionals are being tweeted:

 

@soccer_nky

  • Author
Maybe this is the case in NKY but not necessarily in other parts of the state. Are most U15 teams playing a fall season? Definitely not the case south of you guys, so 8th graders who are 02s have no team to play on unless they just want to guest with a U14 team. I see most of the U15 teams in KSSL are actually 03 teams. I am guessing they have some 02s playing with them just for the fall season. That is an option, but if you can't play with your actual club team why not just play full time with the school you are going to go to instead of guesting with some random team?

 

Buckeye league is going w a U15 Season

  • Author
Buckeye league is going w a U15 Season

 

Semis are set. The Camels upset Highlands 1 to 0. Who else is in?

I see what you are saying but don't necessarily agree (and I guess I am wrong). First, with the age group changes you will have 8th graders who have no team to play on in the fall. They are in effect full time high school players now. I think they should be treated just like freshmen. I agree no school should cut a freshman FOR a middle school player, but what if a freshman was going to get cut anyways whether or not you were picking up middle school players? So say without middle schoolers you might have 18 on the roster, but with a few middle school players you now have 20 or 21. I really don't think a program should deny the opportunity for these 7th or 8th graders to play when a freshman wouldn't have made a team anyways.

 

Like I said, I understand what you are saying, and I agree in principle. But I don't think it is universally practical.

 

Then the freshman doesn't get cut......if the team doesn't have enough to field a roster without him, then they won't get cut.

 

And just because an 8 th grader doesn't have a team, doesn't make them amHigh School student or high school player. Attending a High School makes them a high school student.

Whose semi final matchup?

Match ups that is?

  • Author
Match ups that is?

 

CovCath v Campbell County

Calvary Christian v Ryle.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.