College Football Rankings Week 1.

UK#1fanisback

Been a fan of Ohio state since I played ball, but part of me actually enjoys that Michigan is doing well and is getting back recognition. I'm glad some of the smaller programs are catching up, however, there's something about traditional powerhouses playing good football that makes CFB more enjoyable to watch. I hope OSU and Michigan are undefeated when they meet at the end of the regular season.

Agreed. First polls should come out the Monday after Oct 1.

I don't mind early polls as long as the voters don't get married to their picks and get in the mind set of not wanting to be wrong. If you think someone is preseason Top 25 and they lay a big fat egg, not be scared to take them out the next week, or at least move them way down. Same in reverse.

They do it because it gives us something to talk about. Thats it. Everyone knows they mean absolutely nothing, but we still talk about them.

But they do mean something... A team that starts outside the Top 15 has as slim chance at making the playoff.

Houston this year is a great example, IMO. If they run the table the should be in the playoff, but will their first ranking keep that from happening?

But they do mean something... A team that starts outside the Top 15 has as slim chance at making the playoff.

Houston this year is a great example, IMO. If they run the table the should be in the playoff, but will their first ranking keep that from happening?

They do it because it gives us something to talk about. Thats it. Everyone knows they mean absolutely nothing, but we still talk about them.

Deuce nailed it!

I disagree. I think a team that starts outside of the top 15 is going to have a hard time getting in the playoff because they probably aren't as talented as a team inside the top 5 for instance. I'll use your cardinals for an example, they are clearly the third best team in the ACC. Clemson and FSU simply have more talent across the board (not a shot at UL just facts IMO). If UL happens to knock off Clemson and FSU they are definitely in, but I think you will have a hard time finding anyone outside of Jefferson County that, at this point in time, believes it is possible. The polls early in the season only tell us what teams are the most talented, sure there will be teams that underachieve and overachieve but talent always get the benefit of the doubt.

There is a madness in polls. Especially in early season polls.

TCU and Tennessee both dropped after wins. I get that they may not have been impressive, but the Vols dropped EIGHT SPOTS after a victory. That's lunacy to me.

And LSU went on the road (effectively) and lost a very close game to a team that is far from awful and they drop SIXTEEN spots?

And the greatest lunacy of polling: Unranked-to-top-10, which is where Wisconsin finds itself this week. Texas isn't far off, going from getting just 12 votes in the preseason poll to No. 11 after an overtime win on their home field.