Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Death Penalty Deserved in this Case?

Featured Replies

People didn't vote to change segregation. It was forced on them by other people who believed it was wrong.

 

Is there no natural law? Nothing exists apart from what the letter of the law says?

 

I'm not a history buff. Please explain How a few individuals forced change on the masses.

Was it politicians who were voted in or just some Random people who decided to do what they felt was right ?

 

Natural law? Please elaborate.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While there's a part of me that wants the firing squad for some, I come back to the logic of "killing 'em back doesn't bring 'em back," and the fact that the death penalty process is too time-consuming and costly. And that's not to mention how fraught with errors it is.

 

Killing em back doesn't bring them back, that's because theirs no such thing as restitution for a lost life. Not realistically anyways. However for some families or communities of victims it's about justice and closure. This one sounds unique.

 

I'm torn as to who should decide and how but I can tell you the guilty parties would rather not leave it up to me.

I don't think I did. But my answer is the same. No.

 

It's my fundamental belief that we don't have the right or the insight to determine if/when/or how another person dies. No person has the right to decide if another person deserves to live or die.

 

So am I clear? You're saying people NEVER deserve the death penalty?

I have multiple issues with the DP. To tie it to this case, we've had the DP for a long time yet it didn't stop this person from doing what they did.

 

It doesn't work as a deterrent.

 

So that gets us back to "why do we have it" discussions. It comes down to what UKMF says - we just want revenge and will get down on the accused's level. I get the concern UKMF has but part of me gets the "revenge" thing.

 

Like I said in a previous post, albeit after yours. Death penalty is not a means of restitution or even deterring.

 

The death penalty can however be a bit of closure for the victim/communities. Given that this girls family clearly let her down..... I'd be ok with a vote. Perhaps 12 folks from the community could decide, I'm ok with a 3/4 vote also. 1,2 people not agreeing or being absolutely against something shouldn't be able to flank the beliefs/feelings of s community seeking closure/justice.

People didn't vote to change segregation. It was forced on them by other people who believed it was wrong.

 

Is there no objective measure of what is right or wrong? Nothing exists apart from what the letter of the law says?

 

I'm not a history buff. Please explain How a few individuals forced change on the masses.

Was it politicians who were voted in or just some Random people who decided to do what they felt was right ?

 

Natural law? Please elaborate.

 

TAC I'm with you. I'm struggling to remember where in my history book it said "other people"(whoever they were) forced people to accept a change that the majority didn't vote for.

TAC I'm with you. I'm struggling to remember where in my history book it said "other people"(whoever they were) forced people to accept a change that the majority didn't vote for.

 

Segregation laws were state laws. No one voted to change those laws.

TAC I'm with you. I'm struggling to remember where in my history book it said "other people"(whoever they were) forced people to accept a change that the majority didn't vote for.

 

Segregation laws were state laws. No one voted to change those laws, but that's not the point.

 

The point is that segregation laws were flawed and so the punishments that resulted from them were inherently unjust.

 

I feel the same way about the death penalty. Just because the law is on the books as an allowable punishment doesn't make it right.

Who changed the laws on segregation and were those folks appointed?

Who changed the laws on segregation and were those folks appointed?

 

We can go down this road but I'm going to be aghast if the pro-death penalty folks are about to be the ones telling me that they find judges overturning state laws to be representative of the will of the people.

In any case, we're miles away from the point I was trying to make.

 

Does the simple fact of a law's existence make it a just law?

We can go down this road but I'm going to be aghast if the pro-death penalty folks are about to be the ones telling me that they find judges overturning state laws to be representative of the will of the people.

 

So put the bottle down and quit looking for petty arguments. Also get out and vote.

Edited by sportsfan41

So am I clear? You're saying people NEVER deserve the death penalty?

 

I'm saying it's my belief that we don't have the right or authority to decide when another life ends. It's my personal view that only God should make that decision.

I'm saying it's my belief that we don't have the right or authority to decide when another life ends. It's my personal view that only God should make that decision.

 

I can dig that. Don't have a problem with that belief personally.

 

At the same time I don't think God wanted this young girl to suffer a horrific death without consequence to those that caused it. That's just my take, you may be right.

 

At the same time I don't think God wanted this young girl to suffer a horrific death without consequence to those that caused it. That's just my take, you may be right.

 

I don't disagree about there needing to be consequences. Seems like we just differ on what the consequences are/should be.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.