Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

1985 Villanova vs. Georgetown, Rupp Arena: Roll Call

Featured Replies

Were any other BGPrep's members at the 85 championship game at Rupp when Villanova beat Patrick Ewing and Georgetown for the title?

 

I was a sophomore at Centre. We made the decision to go to the game, sitting at dinner in Cowan. Bought tickets right before tip off in the men's restroom of the Hyatt. $50 for the front row of upper arena. Great game. Great experience!

I wasn't at the game but I did watch Georgetown practice at EKU on Sunday...until someone saw me and I got kicked out of Alumni.

 

Stood outside by the bus until they came out, by then several others had figured out what was going on and were there too.

 

The bus driver had been driving around Memphis St and Keith Lee until they were put out. He had a stack of Memphis State "Painters" caps he gave to some of us waiting for the team to come out.

 

Players were cool and gave high fives to everyone as they got on the bus...All but Ewing. Ewing, John Thompson and their academic advisor got into a limo while the rest of the team rode in the charter bus.

i was in attendance.

 

Great game and I was shocked at the outcome. I gave Villanova no chance to win the game.

I wasn't at the game but remember the game very well, book told me I was one of a few who took the points Jumper mentioned Mem St, one of best games I ever saw was Tigers playing the Cards in that same time or maybe little earlier at Freedom Hall, Memphis up 1 with seconds to go and Cards foul Andrea Turner, a 95% free throw shooter, he misses front end of one and one - Billy Thompson gets rebound and just turns and throws to Milt Wagner going down the sideline, Wagner jumps up to take shot and Turner fouls him. I'm setting in third row of second level right behind Cards bench, Wagner goes to line, looks over to Crum and says I got them - made both and Cards win. The old Metro had some great battles between these two.

What I remember most that year was my HS business/stats class. Our teacher asked each of us to predict the national champion on the Friday before final four week-end.

 

If the team you selected won… the teacher would add the following points to your final grade: Georgetown +2, Memphis St. or St. Johns +5, & Villanova +9. I recall 95% of the class chose Georgetown, a few (including me) felt like we were going out on a limb with Memphis St. or St. Johns; and 2 people that either didn’t follow basketball or were high stakes gamblers selected Villanova.

 

After the game the Villanova people were so pumped; and everyone else (cursed G’town LOL) learned to take a risk every once and awhile.

I was still 16 months away from blessing this Earth.

I was still 16 months away from blessing this Earth.

 

Young pup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.