March 21, 201610 yr That's it. Thanks for posting. I disagree with you. That is the epitome of a fake charge for me. The defender is laying down before contact is ever made and then launches himself onto the floor as if the contact knocked him down. If Sumner makes zero contact, Koenig would have ended up exactly the same. All of his body action was his own doing. Look at the feet of the two players. Both of Sumner's feet are a foot to the right of Koenigs feet. How is it possible for Koenig to have been in front of Sumner? Feet are irrelevant. He had legal guarding position. Contact was to the torso. He wasn't falling backwards as you claim. He bodied him up. Didn't go back until contact. In real time without benefit of a replay that's an easy PC foul call.
March 21, 201610 yr Feet are irrelevant. He had legal guarding position. Contact was to the torso. He wasn't falling backwards as you claim. He bodied him up. Didn't go back until contact. In real time without benefit of a replay that's an easy PC foul call. So you are allowed to lean your body to the left or right to get your shoulder in front of the offensive player and draw a charge?
March 21, 201610 yr Feet are irrelevant. He had legal guarding position. Contact was to the torso. He wasn't falling backwards as you claim. He bodied him up. Didn't go back until contact. In real time without benefit of a replay that's an easy PC foul call. So you are allowed to lean your body to the left or right to get your shoulder in front of the offensive player and draw a charge? What is legal guarding position?
March 21, 201610 yr So you are allowed to lean your body to the left or right to get your shoulder in front of the offensive player and draw a charge? What is legal guarding position? Inside the NCAA Basketball Rule Book: What is a Block? What is a Charge? - Rock M Nation
March 21, 201610 yr Inside the NCAA Basketball Rule Book: What is a Block? What is a Charge? - Rock M Nation Thanks. I actually did a Google Search and found that very site as well. The rule is vague enough that I can see it being purely subjective on how you, I or an official view that play as to whether he had legal guarding position. It isn't clear either way so how the official sees it is right, whether he calls it legal position or not. As to the flop side of it, same thing. I see the defending player leaning back to create the contact and using his own leg power to generate his fall to the floor. You and the official see significant contact by Sumner. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
March 21, 201610 yr Thanks. I actually did a Google Search and found that very site as well. The rule is vague enough that I can see it being purely subjective on how you, I or an official view that play as to whether he had legal guarding position. It isn't clear either way so how the official sees it is right, whether he calls it legal position or not. As to the flop side of it, same thing. I see the defending player leaning back to create the contact and using his own leg power to generate his fall to the floor. You and the official see significant contact by Sumner. We'll have to agree to disagree on this. It's impossible to lean back and create contact.
March 21, 201610 yr It's impossible to lean back and create contact. Let me be more specific then - lean back and into the path of the offensive player
March 21, 201610 yr Play that I was yelling at the TV on was the 3 pointer that tied the game. I don't understand why teams/players let a player shoot a 3 pointer in that situation. You have to get up on that player and make him drive the ball. It he takes it to the basket, that's fine. Just don't give him the space to jump into a three with normal rhythm. Davis played off the guy and let him step into that three pointer to tie the game. You have hit the nail on the head. I was so damn mad it took a 20 minute walk in shirt sleeves to cool down. Davis should have been in his grill and FORCED him to go around him. No way he lets him get that shot off. The winning shot just happened, but Sumner would have been better to dribble the clock out than taking a chance on giving them the ball back. I'm an avid Xavier fan, but that was as bad a sequence as they could have had. The sad part is this was a year I think they could have made a real run at the final four, or at least the elite eight.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.