Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region Draw

Featured Replies

Excellent draw for Oldham County. Not such a good draw for South Oldham. Oldham County should be in the finals vs. Owen County. I had hoped South Oldham could stay away from Owen County, but I had a bad feeling. Too much Carson Williams in that one for South Oldham.

 

While I'm sure SO isn't smiling about their draw, I'm thinking the exact opposite...not such a good draw for Owen County. The only region runner up that has a chance to beat them, IMO. Probably the last team they wanted to draw. If SO is on their game I can see this being a first round upset. Not saying it will happen, just that it could and a game to keep an eye on.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm sure SO isn't smiling about their draw, I'm thinking the exact opposite...not such a good draw for Owen County. The only region runner up that has a chance to beat them, IMO. Probably the last team they wanted to draw. If SO is on their game I can see this being a first round upset. Not saying it will happen, just that it could and a game to keep an eye on.

 

The South Oldham coaches were not smiling one bit when they saw the draw, you are correct. The Dragons played outstanding against Owen County earlier this season and still were unable to come away with the win. It's asking a lot for them to duplicate that effort in this 8th Region Tournament game. That's why I say South Oldham has to make at least 15 three-pointers to win. The inside game of Owen County is outstanding, the perimeter game of South Oldham is outstanding. My opinion is this: South Oldham needs to front Carson Williams and eliminate backside help, force Owen County into making perfect lobs inside. You can't leave any of the other Owen County players open, they are too good. I have seen double and triple teams of Williams, none are effective. The best defense I saw on him this season was a simple fronting, daring lobs. Yes, it opens up offensive rebounds, but that is why I think South Oldham needs to really up the speed of this game and get into an all-out uptempo contest. South Oldham has more quickness than Owen County and the Dragons are the best three-point shooting team I have seen in a while. Their interior defense is acceptable, and fronting Williams might be the best way to defend instead of leaving someone open for 15 footers.

Their first meeting went right down to the last 20 seconds, tied. South made 3's for the game but 1 3 the entire 4th quarter and was right there at the end. owen played an excellent game with carson getting 40. I don't think owen can play much better, but i think south can play and has played better. 1 or 2 extra shots, two less 2nd chance possessions and south wins that game. Here's the deal, south was going to have to beat owen anyway, so might as well do it the first round. It was a great game in an outstanding atmosphere the first time, i expect even better this time around.

how was Owen Co's three point shooting in the first meeting with South?

Owne made 3-15. Unfortunately the 3rd one came on a broken play with 18 seconds left.

Owne made 3-15. Unfortunately the 3rd one came on a broken play with 18 seconds left.

how was Owen Co's three point shooting in the first meeting with South?

 

The little bit I have seen Owen play, the 3 point shot did not appear to me to be a strength.

Owen has their days. Sometimes between McDonald and Toftness, they can hit from 3 all day. Dunaway isn't a bad 3 point shooter either. They are rarely all 'on' on the same day. Sometimes none of them are, which is when Williams needs to take control and carry them.

Edited by Immortalium
Grammar

Owen County can hurt teams in a number of ways. You can not just leave their perimeter players open, or they will bury the shots. South Oldham needs a big effort defensively on everyone, not just Williams. As I said earlier, I would front Carson and deny all entry passes to him on the post. If they want to try and lob over the defender who is denying the ball, I would risk it. In high school, most players are not skilled at lobs over fronting defenders.

Because this team has played together for years, that is one of the things they've gotten proficient at. Namely Toftness and McDonald. You can never rule out Dunaway though too, he is an excellent passer.

Owen hit 3/15 from three that night...normally, they hit about 6 of 17, so they were below their average. South hit 11/30 which is pretty close to their average.

 

The point of my question was...both teams probably feel they could have done some things better to win the game...the whole "South can play better but Owen probably played their best game" cuts both ways.

A lot may be determined on how the guys in stripes call the game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.