Calvin Johnson Retires

My guess is that he is planning on retiring but could change his mind. Only he knows how badly his body is beat up. Right at the end of the season (when your body feels the worst) is probably not the best time to announce you are retiring. That may be why he only told Caldwell in case he changes his mind (if he feels 100% better by April and has the urge to play again). I thought most people thought the Lions would have to release him this year due to what he was going to make. Wouldn't it better for him to wait for that to happen to avoid paying the $3MM???

My guess is that he is planning on retiring but could change his mind. Only he knows how badly his body is beat up. Right at the end of the season (when your body feels the worst) is probably not the best time to announce you are retiring. That may be why he only told Caldwell in case he changes his mind (if he feels 100% better by April and has the urge to play again). I thought most people thought the Lions would have to release him this year due to what he was going to make. Wouldn't it better for him to wait for that to happen to avoid paying the $3MM???

He told family and told Stafford and another teammate before the season that this probably would be his last season. So he was already considering it before this season.