Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Litkenhous Ratings (1-18-2016)

Featured Replies

Does anybody even take these are legitimate rankings, anyway? Head to head, especially when the games were recent, is much more accurate IMO than a computer's formula.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody even take these are legitimate rankings, anyway? Head to head, especially when the games were recent, is much more accurate IMO than a computer's formula.

 

I disagree. I think it gives us a view that we do not consider. One-game snapshots can be misleading. I can come up with all sorts of reasons to say a team is better or worse than others think. Take HC:

 

Better than people think argument:

 

Beat CCH, Cooper, and NCC

 

Worse than people think argument:

 

All wins were at home

Lost by 12 to a solid not great Brossart team

Lost to Lexington Catholic who lost to St Henry

Only beat Highlands by 7

 

CCH -

 

Better than people think:

 

Beat NCC

Lost to Ohio D1 power Wilmington by 2

# of losses do not take into account their schedule

Cooper loss was first game with young team

Lost in OT to top 5 Trinity

Beat Taylor County by 46 points

 

Worse than people think:

 

Not beating top teams

Lost to Cooper before Cooper was full strength

Blown out by top team in Florida

Lost to Holy Cross team that played 5 guys

 

 

I can do that with every team. Fans will pick out the facts that support their heart.

I disagree. I think it gives us a view that we do not consider. One-game snapshots can be misleading. I can come up with all sorts of reasons to say a team is better or worse than others think. Take HC:

 

Better than people think argument:

 

Beat CCH, Cooper, and NCC

 

Worse than people think argument:

 

All wins were at home

Lost by 12 to a solid not great Brossart team

Lost to Lexington Catholic who lost to St Henry

Only beat Highlands by 7

 

CCH -

 

Better than people think:

 

Beat NCC

Lost to Ohio D1 power Wilmington by 2

# of losses do not take into account their schedule

Cooper loss was first game with young team

Lost in OT to top 5 Trinity

Beat Taylor County by 46 points

 

Worse than people think:

 

Not beating top teams

Lost to Cooper before Cooper was full strength

Blown out by top team in Florida

Lost to Holy Cross team that played 5 guys

 

 

I can do that with every team. Fans will pick out the facts that support their heart.

 

This makes no sense. Holy Cross hasn't lost to a 9th region team. They beat Cooper, Covcath, and Newcath so what if it was at Home. CovCath lost 2 games at Home against Trinity and Wilmington. Holy Cross beat CovCath who was #1 in state in some polls last week and beat Cooper at the time they were 15th in state and beat Newcath who in this poll is 11th in state. I think Holy Cross has played a great schedule so far. Remember just my opinion

This makes no sense. Holy Cross hasn't lost to a 9th region team. They beat Cooper, Covcath, and Newcath so what if it was at Home. CovCath lost 2 games at Home against Trinity and Wilmington. Holy Cross beat CovCath who was #1 in state in some polls last week and beat Cooper at the time they were 15th in state and beat Newcath who in this poll is 11th in state. I think Holy Cross has played a great schedule so far. Remember just my opinion

 

You ask me to "remember" that it's your opinion AFTER you start of by saying my opinion makes no sense. Got it.

Every person that builds a computer ranking system has their own predilections.

 

For the purposes of this discussion pertaining to Holy Cross I am seeing flawed more than bias. The implication is that CCH benefits from bias. I have a hard time believing Litkenhous' formula is biased towards CCH but I can see how it can be flawed.

You ask me to "remember" that it's your opinion AFTER you start of by saying my opinion makes no sense. Got it.

 

Welcome

Being an IT guy I understand about formulas that are used by computers. With that being said I would wager this said formula uses human polls. Which are bias, because I bet you can't name someone outside of the 9th region that would rank Holy Cross ahead of CovCath this year.

 

I don't know anything about the formula for Litkenhous or Cantrall so I can't give an informed answer.

This makes no sense. Holy Cross hasn't lost to a 9th region team. They beat Cooper, Covcath, and Newcath so what if it was at Home. CovCath lost 2 games at Home against Trinity and Wilmington. Holy Cross beat CovCath who was #1 in state in some polls last week and beat Cooper at the time they were 15th in state and beat Newcath who in this poll is 11th in state. I think Holy Cross has played a great schedule so far. Remember just my opinion

 

To your argument: The computer calc doesn't care about regions. Again, they use variables. Region by itself is not a variable. They use SOS and opponent W/L. No chance HC is near CCH in SOS. Home wins DO matter - they give you less credit than a win on the road.

 

What teams were AT THE TIME of the game is also irrelevant in the computer calc.

 

You're looking at it as a human.

I don't know anything about the formula for Litkenhous or Cantrall so I can't give an informed answer.

 

No one knows for sure. Heck, Litkenhous has been around since the 30s.

Here's the beauty for HC fans - computer calc can't take away the #1 seed in the 35th. Darn good chance you get to play at BB&T. Enjoy it.

Here's the beauty for HC fans - computer calc can't take away the #1 seed in the 35th. Darn good chance you get to play at BB&T. Enjoy it.

 

CovCath number 1 in State but number 2 in District. Crazy stuff. Lol

No one knows for sure. Heck, Litkenhous has been around since the 30s.

 

I'd love to know the secret recipe. For this and Cantrall. Trying to figure them out is confusing as hell.

Settle it on the court. Nobody gets a trophy for a mid-season ranking.

CovCath number 1 in State but number 2 in District. Crazy stuff. Lol

 

And no guarantee they beat Holmes to get out of the district.

And no guarantee they beat Holmes to get out of the district.

 

True. Holmes would have to play great to beat Covcath

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.