Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Litkenhous Ratings (1-18-2016)

Featured Replies

  • Replies 36
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louisville Central is ranked waaaay to high and I'm a 7th region fan.

I'm sure there's an explanation, but aren't Cov Cath and Mercer tied for first? They both are ranked at 102.7.

I'm sure there's an explanation, but aren't Cov Cath and Mercer tied for first? They both are ranked at 102.7.

 

I saw that and thought the same thing. The headline is misleading. I guess alphabetical order breaks the tie. :lol2:

Another flawed and bias poll. How is Holy Cross ranked 4th in the 9th region but undefeated against the 3 teams ranked above them.

Another flawed and bias poll. How is Holy Cross ranked 4th in the 9th region but undefeated against the 3 teams ranked above them.

 

It may be flawed but not biased. It is a computer ranking.

It may be flawed but not biased. It is a computer ranking.

 

Not bias? Then explain how CovCath is ranked above teams they have lost to... I'll wait...

Not bias? Then explain how CovCath is ranked above teams they have lost to... I'll wait...

 

Computers can't be biased. They are computers. The ratings formula can be flawed though.

Computers can't be biased. They are computers. The ratings formula can be flawed though.

 

Every person that builds a computer ranking system has their own predilections.

Not bias? Then explain how CovCath is ranked above teams they have lost to... I'll wait...

 

Complete guess as to how the Lit assigns value to various factors but I'd say head-to-head isn't that high like it is to the human mind. My guess is that SOS plays a big part. CCH's schedule is much better than HC's schedule. Not sure if margin of victory comes into play. Do the Florida games count?

 

Take it for what it is. One person's way of removing most of the subjectivity in polls.

Computers can't be biased. They are computers. The ratings formula can be flawed though.

 

Being an IT guy I understand about formulas that are used by computers. With that being said I would wager this said formula uses human polls. Which are bias, because I bet you can't name someone outside of the 9th region that would rank Holy Cross ahead of CovCath this year.

Complete guess as to how the Lit assigns value to various factors but I'd say head-to-head isn't that high like it is to the human mind. My guess is that SOS plays a big part. CCH's schedule is much better than HC's schedule. Not sure if margin of victory comes into play. Do the Florida games count?

 

Take it for what it is. One person's way of removing most of the subjectivity in polls.

 

With that logic CovCath is rewarded for losing to so called good teams but HC is not rewarded for beating so called good teams... Flawed & Bias

Being an IT guy I understand about formulas that are used by computers. With that being said I would wager this said formula uses human polls. Which are bias, because I bet you can't name someone outside of the 9th region that would rank Holy Cross ahead of CovCath this year.

 

I would be surprised if it takes other polls into account.

With that logic CovCath is rewarded for losing to so called good teams but HC is not rewarded for beating so called good teams... Flawed & Bias

 

Step back and relax. You may not like which variables are used and how much weight they are given but you have no evidence of bias.

 

SOS is obviously a factor. CCH will get a huge bump from that as compared to HC. Not close in that category. My guess is CCH is that , like many computer rankings, winning at home is "less impressive" than losing "close on the road." Just a guess but I'd say that's a factor. So HC's 3 big wins all being at home , formula-wise, are not as impactful as they are to your eyeballs (and fan bias). So there's but two real examples of how numbers can have an impact more than head-to-head. No bias there.

Computers can't be biased. They are computers. The ratings formula can be flawed though.

 

This.

 

No bias. There can be flaws but no bias

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.