Reggie Nelson

spindoc

Before this year my thought was to resign Iloka and let Nelson walk, as much due to age than anything.

After this year I definitely think differently. Nelson should be a high value resign and Iloka is expendable since Shawn Williams has stepped up lately in his absence.

No way he doesn't re sign.

Quite honestly it may not be the best thing for the Bengals to resign him based off what his price tag will be. The Bengals have a crap load of free agents after this year, Daltons contract pays him even more next year too. Even with as great of a year Nelson has had, unless he gives them a discount to resign him then they may be better off to let him walk. The Steelers and Pats and Packers are great franchises to learn from. Usually they won't sign back an older player to a big contract that is almost out of their prime. The contract Nelson probably would want would probably hurt the Bengals because his play will start to decline.

It won't be easy letting him go, but these are the hard decisions franchises have to make sometimes to stay good. Especially when there are alot of younger players they need to resign.

If the Bengals can sign Nelson for a fair price I definitely want to see them keep him.

I would let Iloka walk unless he is willing to take Vet minimum.

I think people forget how good Iloka was last year when healthy. He really hasn't been healthy all year and it may not be the vet minimum but will be cheap enough to keep now. I keep him and go with him and Williams next year. Then you still have the rookie safety Smith who I really like bur hasn't played much.

With all that said if Nelson will give the Bengals a discount then you definitely sign him. However I don't sign him for what he probably will be able to get elsewhere.

Quite honestly it may not be the best thing for the Bengals to resign him based off what his price tag will be. The Bengals have a crap load of free agents after this year, Daltons contract pays him even more next year too. Even with as great of a year Nelson has had, unless he gives them a discount to resign him then they may be better off to let him walk. The Steelers and Pats and Packers are great franchises to learn from. Usually they won't sign back an older player to a big contract that is almost out of their prime. The contract Nelson probably would want would probably hurt the Bengals because his play will start to decline.

It won't be easy letting him go, but these are the hard decisions franchises have to make sometimes to stay good. Especially when there are alot of younger players they need to resign.

Nelson isn't as old as you think he is. I believe he is still only on his 2nd contract. He's only been in the league 7 years. He has at least 3 more highly productive years left. There are 3 guys they have to resign: Nelson, Pac Man, and Marvin Jones (unless they want to grab Michael Thomas late in the first round). Anyone else I would be fine letting go. But Nelson is irreplaceable.

Nelson isn't as old as you think he is. I believe he is still only on his 2nd contract. He's only been in the league 7 years. He has at least 3 more highly productive years left. There are 3 guys they have to resign: Nelson, Pac Man, and Marvin Jones (unless they want to grab Michael Thomas late in the first round). Anyone else I would be fine letting go. But Nelson is irreplaceable.

Disagree with him being irreplaceable and Marvin Jones is a must resign and honestly should find away to keep Sanu too. People have fell in love with his interceptions this year, which are great. Most of his interceptions have came on over throws and sitting there waiting for the ball and not making a play on the ball while guarding someone. Not to mention his tackling this year in the run game has been bad and has already shown that he has lost a step. That long run Denver had for a touchdown also showed that.

I know people around here only think of now in the moment. I would love to have him back but his price range has now gone way up and I don't think it would be worth it. I think his play will go down and won't be able to play to the level of his contract. Let some other team pay him big money to sell to their fans that they are getting a guy who led league in interceptions.

I will say again though if we can get him back for a discount compared to what other teams will pay him, then I would sign him back.

How has Pro Football Focus ranked Iloka the last couple of years?

Disagree with him being irreplaceable and Marvin Jones is a must resign and honestly should find away to keep Sanu too. People have fell in love with his interceptions this year, which are great. Most of his interceptions have came on over throws and sitting there waiting for the ball and not making a play on the ball while guarding someone. Not to mention his tackling this year in the run game has been bad and has already shown that he has lost a step. That long run Denver had for a touchdown also showed that.

I know people around here only think of now in the moment. I would love to have him back but his price range has now gone way up and I don't think it would be worth it. I think his play will go down and won't be able to play to the level of his contract. Let some other team pay him big money to sell to their fans that they are getting a guy who led league in interceptions.

I will say again though if we can get him back for a discount compared to what other teams will pay him, then I would sign him back.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, but who would replace him if he is replaceable?