Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Classing Baseball?

Featured Replies

Hell, I'd like them to just figure out a way not to give someone a pitching advantage in the current tournament format...

 

I'm guessing this won't happen...

Hell, I'd like them to just figure out a way not to give someone a pitching advantage in the current tournament format...

 

I'm guessing this won't happen...

:thumb: That would be a start...:rolleyes:

  • Author

It wont happen unless a group of coaches get together and push for it. The only reason it happend for football is because the have a strong coaches association that works for what they think is best for football. They do a good job of pushing for it until something gets done.

At times I agree there should be classes, other times I like it the way it is. Baseball is a game played with heart and desire, combined with individual talent and not so much size/power, that is required in Basketball and Football.

 

I'm old school, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....:thumb:

:thumb: I agree completely.

The reason Football is classed is the amount of athletes and size matter more than in any other sport. Basketball and Baseball can be played at a high level with 4-5 good athletes. Football takes 15-20 athletes this is the difference . I like the fact that one team can call themselves the true State champions.

At times I agree there should be classes, other times I like it the way it is. Baseball is a game played with heart and desire, combined with individual talent and not so much size/power, that is required in Basketball and Football.

 

I'm old school, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"....:thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: I said earlier that I could see a 2 class system (if that) with a championship series for the overall title. However, imo you are correct about it would be fine if they left it the way it is.

The reason Football is classed is the amount of athletes and size matter more than in any other sport. Basketball and Baseball can be played at a high level with 4-5 good athletes. Football takes 15-20 athletes this is the difference . I like the fact that one team can call themselves the true State champions.

Very good point.

  • Author
The reason Football is classed is the amount of athletes and size matter more than in any other sport. Basketball and Baseball can be played at a high level with 4-5 good athletes. Football takes 15-20 athletes this is the difference . I like the fact that one team can call themselves the true State champions.

 

Playing at high level is one thing but winning state is a whole other level. 3 class A schools winning state in 33 years is not being competitive. Its alot easier to find those 4 or 5 good athletes in a school of 1500 or more than it is in a school of 400 or less. I would just like to see more than 8 or 10 teams out of 220 have a chance to win state. It would just be great for the kids.

Any argument to classify baseball must also include an argument to classify basketball, which in this state will never happen.

Any argument to classify baseball must also include an argument to classify basketball, which in this state will never happen.

...and yet football is now going to MORE classes...to make it "fair" for everyone. I don't understand the double standard here with the KHSAA...outside of the weak excuse of "it's tradition"!

Any argument to classify baseball must also include an argument to classify basketball, which in this state will never happen.

To the contrary. YOu could easily discuss classing baseball and/or softball, which take 9/10 to field a team at once, before basketball with 5. It just depends on the true impact of numbers.

The reason Football is classed is the amount of athletes and size matter more than in any other sport. Basketball and Baseball can be played at a high level with 4-5 good athletes. Football takes 15-20 athletes this is the difference . I like the fact that one team can call themselves the true State champions.

I have never seen a great Baseball team with 4 or 5 good athletes. You better have more pitchers alone than that. On top of pitchers you better have a great middle from Catcher to CF. I hope you were referring only to basketball.

 

As far as classing I would say leave it alone. However I think all 16 regions should be at the state tourney.

I'll bet those schools that win their class in football whine and cry and feel terrible that they are "just champs in one division". They probably want to dump that old class trophy in the garbage because there are 3 other state champs along with them. Ask any player from schools that field 16-20 players total for their whole program, as opposed to schools that have 20 players in each level-freshmen, JV, Varsity- 60 total, if they would not want to compete on a class level they will say YES! they do. Kids want to play where they can compete. Baseball people need to come out of hibernation. Why do you think football people are constantly tinkering with their game? Afew years ago polls and numbers of attendance showed football was losing it's popularity. Football set about and changed the play-off format. They included more teams that could be eligible to get in the play-offs. Instant results-the interest level shot back up. Now they have breathed more excitement into their game. Baeball needs to understand that 6 classes in baseball would be the biggest shot in the arm in 20 years. Look past the "I-like-it-the-way-it-is" and see the upsurge of kids that would want to play on the high school team again. The championship would be possible, instead os some far-off intangible "we will never-be-there" idea. I see the football action as an opportunity for baseball to move forward.

  • Author
I'll bet those schools that win their class in football whine and cry and feel terrible that they are "just champs in one division". They probably want to dump that old class trophy in the garbage because there are 3 other state champs along with them. Ask any player from schools that field 16-20 players total for their whole program, as opposed to schools that have 20 players in each level-freshmen, JV, Varsity- 60 total, if they would not want to compete on a class level they will say YES! they do. Kids want to play where they can compete. Baseball people need to come out of hibernation. Why do you think football people are constantly tinkering with their game? Afew years ago polls and numbers of attendance showed football was losing it's popularity. Football set about and changed the play-off format. They included more teams that could be eligible to get in the play-offs. Instant results-the interest level shot back up. Now they have breathed more excitement into their game. Baeball needs to understand that 6 classes in baseball would be the biggest shot in the arm in 20 years. Look past the "I-like-it-the-way-it-is" and see the upsurge of kids that would want to play on the high school team again. The championship would be possible, instead os some far-off intangible "we will never-be-there" idea. I see the football action as an opportunity for baseball to move forward.

 

Very well said. The high school coaches need to get together and get something together and submit it to the KHSAA.

I'll bet those schools that win their class in football whine and cry and feel terrible that they are "just champs in one division". They probably want to dump that old class trophy in the garbage because there are 3 other state champs along with them. Ask any player from schools that field 16-20 players total for their whole program, as opposed to schools that have 20 players in each level-freshmen, JV, Varsity- 60 total, if they would not want to compete on a class level they will say YES! they do. Kids want to play where they can compete. Baseball people need to come out of hibernation. Why do you think football people are constantly tinkering with their game? Afew years ago polls and numbers of attendance showed football was losing it's popularity. Football set about and changed the play-off format. They included more teams that could be eligible to get in the play-offs. Instant results-the interest level shot back up. Now they have breathed more excitement into their game. Baeball needs to understand that 6 classes in baseball would be the biggest shot in the arm in 20 years. Look past the "I-like-it-the-way-it-is" and see the upsurge of kids that would want to play on the high school team again. The championship would be possible, instead os some far-off intangible "we will never-be-there" idea. I see the football action as an opportunity for baseball to move forward.

 

Regardless of trophies, etc. there is one other thing that makes the need for looking at classes in baseball more relevant than any other sport. Forget softball. It doesn't have a pitching rule. Forget soccer. It doesn't have a rule that says "your goalie, if he plays tonight, has to rest tomorrow". But with baseball, and don't get me wrong, I favor the current 8 team tournament and semi-state format, the small schools are at a definite disadvantage. Oh, I can see a small school catching lightning in a bottle, like LCA last year or Beechwood this spring, but in general, you HAVE to have two and maybe three quality pitchers, to get past the three days of semistate play, and/or three games on consecutive days at the state. That's where the numbers game plays in. And certainly, I don't think anyone wants to say to waive the pitching limits just for postseason. It certainly isn't any safer then than any other time.

 

Any ideas?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.