Franklin County vs. Somerset

Is this a must win game for both teams? I understand it really doesn't mean a hill of beans because it is a non-district, non-class match up but consider this from each side:

If you are Franklin County you have NO CHANCE to beat the good 3A teams if you cannot beat a good 1A team.

If you are Somerset and you can't beat a 3A team ranked somewhere between 11 and 15 how can you beat any 1A teams ranked between 1 and 5?

My point being, the loser of this game may want to think about scheduling some open gyms because the loser of this game really figures to struggle come playoff time.

What do you think?

IMO this game, being the first game of the season doesnt really indicate how far your team can go come playoff time. Being at the beginning of the season may hurt your confidence in the rest of your non-district schedule but once the district matchups roll around, if you can have a strong showing during district, you will forget about the non-district and will be focused on the task at hand. Making a run deep into the playoffs. Now on the other hand if this was 2 quality 1A schools starting off the season, it would be a completely different story.

If you are Franklin County you have NO CHANCE to beat the good 3A teams if you cannot beat a good 1A team.
I totally agree. Franklin County's reputation takes a big hit with a loss.

If you are Somerset and you can't beat a 3A team ranked somewhere between 11 and 15 how can you beat any 1A teams ranked between 1 and 5?
I'm not sure I would go that far as to say that. Even with a loss, Somerset could be a good bet to get to the semifinals. And since this would be their year to host ...

Somerset loses big in this one. Franklin will be a load for anyone this year. Not saying they will win state, but I doubt they'll get blasted like last year by anyone.

Somerset might lose, but don't underestimate us. We lost a lot of Seniors but return a good Senior and Junior class. Have several skilled players returning.

Somerset might lose, but don't underestimate us. We lost a lot of Seniors but return a good Senior and Junior class. Have several skilled players returning.

Yeah, but Somerset hasn't played FC's schedule and doesn't have anyone even remotely close at QB to Ammons.

Yeah, but Somerset hasn't played FC's schedule and doesn't have anyone even remotely close at QB to Ammons.

Somerset plays a very tough schedule year in and year out! As for out QB we have two very good QB's in Ross Deaton and Chase Hall. QB is where we have the most depth at. Our question mark will be at tailback and our secondary on defense.

Somerset plays a very tough schedule year in and year out! As for out QB we have two very good QB's in Ross Deaton and Chase Hall. QB is where we have the most depth at. Our question mark will be at tailback and our secondary on defense.

Yes they do, but not as tough as facing LexCath during the regular season, then second round in the playoffs facing a CovCath or Highlands team. Deaton and Hall may be good, but having even a question mark in the secondary against this FC team gets you a front row seat for a long night. He's fast too.

Somerset went through 2 of the regions top teams last year in order to make it to semi-state. Pikeville and Paintsville both were supposed to be better than Somerset and have better QB's (Pugh and Mayo) but Somerset was able to keep both these guys intact. It will come down to if Somerset lets the hype of going up against one of the states top QB's get into their heads and hurt their confidence and mentality coming into the game.

If Franklin County can run the football well, I think they will beat Somerset. Somerset's rush defense the last couple of years has not been very strong, they do have a good passing defense. Somerset will also need someone to step up and run the ball for them. They will have to keep the Franklin's d line from being able to attack Deaton on every play. This is the first I heard Somerset was the underdog against Paintsville and Pikeville, if I'm not mistaken they were the preseason top choice in region 4 last season, and are second this year. Year in and year out Somerset is always a favorite. The only games last season they were underdogs was Danville and NCC.

If Franklin County can run the football well, I think they will beat Somerset. Somerset's rush defense the last couple of years has not been very strong, they do have a good passing defense. Somerset will also need someone to step up and run the ball for them. They will have to keep the Franklin's d line from being able to attack Deaton on every play. This is the first I heard Somerset was the underdog against Paintsville and Pikeville, if I'm not mistaken they were the preseason top choice in region 4 last season, and are second this year. Year in and year out Somerset is always a favorite. The only games last season they were underdogs was Danville and NCC.

LC99 your analysis is great (again) of Somerset. Somerset will need someone to step up and run the ball for them. We do have Kenny Hughes returning but lack a proven tailback. Probable starter A.T. Hunter had an accident last month and will not be back for several weeks.

LC99 your analysis is great (again) of Somerset. Somerset will need someone to step up and run the ball for them. We do have Kenny Hughes returning but lack a proven tailback. Probable starter A.T. Hunter had an accident last month and will not be back for several weeks.

A.T. Hunter is having a very good recovery and is likely to be back in time for district play, hopefully sooner. He was having a tremendous offseason in the weight room!

A.T. Hunter is having a very good recovery and is likely to be back in time for district play, hopefully sooner. He was having a tremendous offseason in the weight room!

That is great to hear! I did hear that he had a good offseason and was possibly going to be a pleasant surprise this season at tailback. I have also heard that Cowan has been working extremely hard too, but still lacks size.

That is great to hear! I did hear that he had a good offseason and was possibly going to be a pleasant surprise this season at tailback. I have also heard that Cowan has been working extremely hard too, but still lacks size.

Yeah, Cowan still lacks size. At his size it would be hard for him to carry the load for the Jumpers. A.T. was well on his way to a great season if he performed on the field as he did in the weight room!

Is this a must win game for both teams? I understand it really doesn't mean a hill of beans because it is a non-district, non-class match up but consider this from each side:

My point being, the loser of this game may want to think about scheduling some open gyms because the loser of this game really figures to struggle come playoff time.

What do you think?

Come on Guru what ever team wins just throw in the towel and go straight into b-ball.

I think it means alot to both teams for the simple fact that it is the first game of the season and both teams have some ???? about young players and a new team.

As for franklin county if you have been around them at all you know where they were just a few short years ago and where they are now if that doesnt get your respect for their work there what will.