Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Newport Central Catholic 41 Lloyd 0

Featured Replies

I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't consider either team a clear favorite based on how both are playing as of late.

 

IMO Danville would be the clear favorite. NCC only scored 14 points on O. Jacob smith had 1 good run of 54 yrds. He was bottled up most of the night. Hairball for NCC ran better. Plus smith was on crutches after the game. Lloyds Offensive game plan was a joke and that is putting it nicely. The game would have been closer if Lloyd took a knee on 1st, 2nd and 3rd then punted. If the admirals actually prepare for this game they will be just fine. I was afraid NCC was going to burn us with the passing game because of what they did against HC but was not really the case. I would like to see NKY send as many teams to state as possible but this matchup will be very tough for the Breds.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breds scored 1.) a fumble recovery for a TD 2. ) INT for a TD and a 3.) INT for a TD in the first qtr....missed a PAT and was up 20-0 at the end of 1st quarter and never looked back.

This was not a game that required an aggressive passing game.

E

Danville will not beat Newport Central Catholic

Just like you said no running clock on LCA. Go watch and learn some football.

This was not a game that required an aggressive passing game.

 

Thanks for pointing out the obvious lol. Just like the first NCC loss this one rests solely on the coaches.

Lloyd turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st Q which dug them a huge hole. They still failed to score in the remaining 3 Q. NCC defense manhandled them in a game where they could have played a soft defense.

 

If Smith is 100% next week, I don't think they are clear underdogs. You're using statements like that to support your displeasure with the Juggs coaching.

Great job NewCath how many yards did Jacob Smith have?

Lloyd turned the ball over 3 times in the 1st Q which dug them a huge hole. They still failed to score in the remaining 3 Q. NCC defense manhandled them in a game where they could have played a soft defense.

 

If Smith is 100% next week, I don't think they are clear underdogs. You're using statements like that to support your displeasure with the Juggs coaching.

 

That is where your wrong. I'm using those statements because it is common football knowledge and analysis. I do have displeasure with the Juggs coaching/lack there of, I have no problem in saying that. BUT I can back it with proof because I have extensive knowledge of the game.

IMO Danville would be the clear favorite. NCC only scored 14 points on O. Jacob smith had 1 good run of 54 yrds. He was bottled up most of the night. Hairball for NCC ran better. Plus smith was on crutches after the game. Lloyds Offensive game plan was a joke and that is putting it nicely. The game would have been closer if Lloyd took a knee on 1st, 2nd and 3rd then punted. If the admirals actually prepare for this game they will be just fine. I was afraid NCC was going to burn us with the passing game because of what they did against HC but was not really the case. I would like to see NKY send as many teams to state as possible but this matchup will be very tough for the Breds.

 

About two weeks before the playoffs started, I picked Danville to win it all. Guess we will see how the rest of it shakes out. Based on what I've heard from others earlier on and what I saw against Holy Cross last week, New Cath's passing game has gotten much better.

Danville will not beat Newport Central Catholic

 

Slow down there Pancho Villa........this game will not be as easy as you think. Danville will give the Breds all they want, likewise, NewCath will give the Ad's much the same.

This was not a game that required an aggressive passing game.

 

I would agree.

Newport Central Catholic have the size advantage, RB advantage, and home field. With all those, I give Newport Central Catholic the edge. Oh, and played the better schedule. Has Newport played a team with speed like Danville?

That is where your wrong. I'm using those statements because it is common football knowledge and analysis. I do have displeasure with the Juggs coaching/lack there of, I have no problem in saying that. BUT I can back it with proof because I have extensive knowledge of the game.

 

Have you even seen Danville play? I'm not saying NCC wins the game, but don't let your "extensive knowledge" close the door on a team before the game is played. Your sour grapes at again losing to NCC are clouding your judgement.

Article, per Marc Hardin....NewCath blanks Lloyd, 41-0

 

Junior wide receiver Trent Wrobleski had three touchdowns all season for the Newport Central Catholic football team. He nearly doubled his output in 90 seconds on defense Friday night during the first quarter while keying NewCath's 41-0 rout of Lloyd in the local Class 2A regional final at Newport Stadium.

 

NewCath advanced to play Danville, a 56-14 winner over Lexington Christian, in next Friday's state semifinals in Newport. The Thoroughbreds, losers in the past two Class 2A state finals, are pursuing their sixth state championship. They have won six of their last seven games, and snapped Lloyd's four-game winning streak

 

It was Wrobleski's playmaking, and NewCath's dominating defense that kept the 'Breds on track for their first state crown since 2012. They swept Lloyd, having secured a 29-26 regular-season win.

 

"The defense played outstanding tonight," NewCath coach Dan Wagner said. "We had some things planned for (Lloyd), and it worked out well for us."

 

Wrobleski's 34-yard fumble recovery return for a touchdown with 6:49 to play in the opening quarter was the first score of the game, and helped give the Thoroughbreds a 7-0 lead. His 30-yard interception return for a touchdown with 5:19 left in the quarter, and Ryan Hans' extra-point kick gave NewCath a 20-0 lead.

 

At that point in the contest, NewCath had more defensive scores (3) than total yards (minus-1). What's more, Friday was Wrobleski's 17th birthday.

 

"Amazing, what a day," said the three-way standout. He's also the punter, and booted a 54-yarder after the Thoroughreds' first possession to get the field-position game going NewCath's way. "Those touchdowns early definitely boosted our emotions. I thought we worked great together as a team the whole game."

 

Lloyd miscues and NewCath's opportunistic defense set the early tone. In between Wrobleski's scores from his safety position, linebacker John Harris returned an interception 40 yards for a score to give the Thoroughbreds a 13-0 lead.

 

It was 27-0 at halftime on quarterback Patrick Henschen's nine-yard touchdown pass to tight end Griffin McHugh in the opening minutes of the second quarter. Harris' second touchdown of the game, on a 13-yard run with 5:43 to play, capping an 11-play, 82 yard drive, and Hans' kick pushed the lead to 34-0.

 

NewCath came up with its fourth defensive touchdown on a third pick-six, Eric Anderson's 38-yard interception return for a touchdown, with 5:25 to play. It was Anderson's team-best sixth interception. Hans' kick set the final score.

 

The Thoroughbreds, 8-5 and ranked ninth in The Enquirer coaches' poll, limited 10th-ranked Lloyd (9-4) to 146 total yards while posting their first shutout of the season. The Juggernauts had five fumbles, losing three, and totaled six turnovers, compared to none for the 'Breds, who were held to 168 total yards, 154 on the ground.

 

NewCath tailback Jacob Smith rushed 11 times for 68 yards, pushing his season total to 1,438 and his career total to 4,202. He needs 31 yards to pass Chris Kelly and move into second on the school's all-time rushing list. Harris added 67 yards on nine carries.

 

 

Lloyd's top producer was running back Justin Durham, who carried 14 times for 57 yards. The Juggernauts totaled eight first downs, while holding NewCath to six first downs.

 

It's NewCath's 21st win in a row against Lloyd, which hasn't beaten the 'Breds since 1991. The Juggernauts were seeking their first regional title since 2003.

 

Lloyd......00 00 00 00 -- 0

NewCath 20 07 00 14 -- 41

 

NewCath - Wrobleski 34 fumble return (Hans kick)

 

NewCath - J. Harris 40 interception return (kick failed)

 

NewCath - Wrobleski 30 interception return (Hans kick)

 

NewCath - McHugh 9 pass from Henschen (Hans kick)

 

NewCath - J. Harris 13 run (Hans kick)

 

NewCath - Anderson 38 interception return (Hans kick)

 

Records: Lloyd 9-4, NewCath 8-5.

Have you even seen Danville play? I'm not saying NCC wins the game, but don't let your "extensive knowledge" close the door on a team before the game is played. Your sour grapes at again losing to NCC are clouding your judgement.

 

You are wrong as well. I hold no ill will against NCC they were clearly the better team. I want NKY to stay right at the top of the list with Louisville as the best football areas. BGP has Danville ranked in the top 5 all yr while NCC has been right with Lloyd inside the top 10. Most people have picked Mayfield to win 2A state and the majority of the others have picked Danville. I have a few friends from Boyle county and through out the state and we all shoot the perverbial excrement especially during HS football season. So people can take what I say as "sour grapes" but the people with actual football knowledge will understand and see the things I'm saying make sense and are very logical. I'm not shutting the door on NCC nor did I say they were going to lose. I just said that next week is going to be extremely tough and what NCC showed against Lloyd I'm not sure is enough. Even if Lloyd would have won tonight I would be saying the same things with regards to being the under dog and having a serious task at hand. People don't read to much into what is said and think things are emotion driven but there not.

Edited by JuggAlum

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.