Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another Suicide/CTE Case

Featured Replies

  • Replies 44
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said that 88 of 92 NFL players whose brains have been tested there have shown evidence of CTE, along with 33 others who played college or high school football. The brains are studied posthumously when families seek testing.

 

The NFL better get that lawsuit settled quick. This stuff isn't going away.

Let's make it two hand touch then. :ohbrother:

Right, guys are just committing suicide. Nothing to see here, move along.

  • Author
Let's make it two hand touch then. :ohbrother:

 

Freaking wusses!

What exactly would you guys recommend then? I understand this is happening, but what do you do? Its a violent, physical game. I've had 4 concussions and I don't go around blaming football for it and I sure haven't contemplated suicide. So what do you suggest?

  • Author
What exactly would you guys recommend then? I understand this is happening, but what do you do? Its a violent, physical game. I've had 4 concussions and I don't go around blaming football for it and I sure haven't contemplated suicide. So what do you suggest?

 

Continue to find ways to make a dangerous game less dangerous.

 

It's why we're seeing the rule changes.

Continue to find ways to make a dangerous game less dangerous.

 

It's why we're seeing the rule changes.

 

I don't think it is possible to make it less dangerous without making it two hand touch. I don't say that facetiously I'm just not sure how anything can make the game safer other than less contact. For me, football will continue to be a sport that people will have to choose to play knowing the risks involved. There isn't a logical way to make the game safer.

It already has become safer with awareness. You get your bell rung you don't go back in like days of old.

Let's make it two hand touch then. :ohbrother:

 

I'd love to see you sitting across from the 3 sets of parents that have lost their high school sons this season on the gridiron. I'm sure your machismo will really impress them.

I'd love to see you sitting across from the 3 sets of parents that have lost their high school sons this season on the gridiron. I'm sure your machismo will really impress them.

 

Its not machismo, or whatever else you want to call it. The rules have been changed already to a point to where contact is reduced. What more do you want done? Best option appears to be to just get rid of football altogether.

I don't think it is possible to make it less dangerous without making it two hand touch. I don't say that facetiously I'm just not sure how anything can make the game safer other than less contact. For me, football will continue to be a sport that people will have to choose to play knowing the risks involved. There isn't a logical way to make the game safer.

 

Thank you for having an understanding of that.

What more do you want done?

 

A post mocking the safety changes in the game in a thread about a man that took his own life due to football-related head issues MAY come off a little insensitive.

 

It is a complex issue, and both you and PP92 are correct that they have made changes to try and make it safer, and that it is hard to do when the game is inherently so violent, but people are dying and it isn't getting better.

 

Obviously not an issue that is going to go away any time soon.

I love the game of football on all levels. It saddens me to see all the injuries, especially the ones with long term ramifications.

A post mocking the safety changes in the game in a thread about a man that took his own life due to football-related head issues MAY come off a little insensitive.

 

It is a complex issue, and both you and PP92 are correct that they have made changes to try and make it safer, and that it is hard to do when the game is inherently so violent, but people are dying and it isn't getting better.

 

Obviously not an issue that is going to go away any time soon.

 

It was not intended to come off as insensitive towards those ending their lives. Yes, I'm fully aware of those dangers and things that are happening. But realistically, how much safer can you make the game of football before it eliminates all forms of contact? Its a nasty, violent sport. I've always said and been told that those who play football know the risks and choose to take those risks that are associated with it. But the media continues to beat a dead horse in the mouth with all of this concussion talk. Helmet companies are trying everything possible to make helmets that much safer, but how much more can really be done?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.