Cooper 3 Ryle 0

MyShadow

Tasha is not a newbie coach... and Hailey Bush isn't a below average setter.... if their team was capable of more offensively it would be being done. I have no doubt that they are operating at the ceiling of their teams capabilities. Why they have chemistry issues I don't know. But you don't win games offensively by engaging your middles unless they're Rachel Adams, you win by setting your outsides. They have two good ones in Bush and Stinson. Stinson led the team in kills last season. Bush is a beast. Figure out how to feed the OH and things will turn around.

Lovins is out on maternity leave. I have no idea if she is still involved or not, I did see her at least 2/4 Ryle matches I have watched but not sure if she is allowed to have input with the team.

Most of the time, Sandman, I agree with you but the posts in this thread leave me wondering if your account has been hijacked???

"Hailey Bush isn't a below average setter...." UMMM, she is the best setter in all of NKY and Greater Cincy. Only SHA setter is better from what I have seen, Mercy setter is able to get more out of her team than Bush but set location, footwork, speed to ball, blocking, defense...Bush has it all.

"..don't win games offensively by engaging your middles...you win by setting the outsides..." Not sure what volleyball coaching school you got this from but without a solid middle or opposite attack an outside hitter will be shut down either by the block or defense. Every setter knows to establish the middle/slide offense early in the match to make the other side think. Without ball control, Bush can't get Legg the ball. The other middle is really an outside who they threw in middle for who knows why reason. I think she would really help them on the right side.

I agree that Bush is an excellent player but she was not a beast in the matches I saw - hitting wise. She is out of system on almost every swing. Davis does a nice job but she's not a setter. Let Hayley set and Tatum pass and see what happens. Season is on the short side now, not many matches left to experiment.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with your analysis of Borders game. Penn State had plenty of hitters last season, but Mica Hancock was as much of a scoring threat as any of them.

Also, I think our region has some great setters.

Talkers - NDA

Bush - Ryle

Borders - Boone Co.

Atwood - Conner

Noll - SHDS

I'm sure someone can make a case for Freppon - NCC, & Ogle - Beechwood too

Is that you Sandman? Did you just compare NKY high school setters to Micha Hancock...the National POY, best setter to play the game in the past ten years who also happens to be left handed, who also happened to play with an AA middle and another middle who will be AA this year...think maybe all of those things had to do with her 'hitting' success?

Taking nothing away from Borders or any of the setters listed but the comparison you made is simply out of line and holds no merit.

Lovins is out on maternity leave. I have no idea if she is still involved or not, I did see her at least 2/4 Ryle matches I have watched but not sure if she is allowed to have input with the team.

Most of the time, Sandman, I agree with you but the posts in this thread leave me wondering if your account has been hijacked???

"Hailey Bush isn't a below average setter...." UMMM, she is the best setter in all of NKY and Greater Cincy. Only SHA setter is better from what I have seen, Mercy setter is able to get more out of her team than Bush but set location, footwork, speed to ball, blocking, defense...Bush has it all.

"..don't win games offensively by engaging your middles...you win by setting the outsides..." Not sure what volleyball coaching school you got this from but without a solid middle or opposite attack an outside hitter will be shut down either by the block or defense. Every setter knows to establish the middle/slide offense early in the match to make the other side think. Without ball control, Bush can't get Legg the ball. The other middle is really an outside who they threw in middle for who knows why reason. I think she would really help them on the right side.

I agree that Bush is an excellent player but she was not a beast in the matches I saw - hitting wise. She is out of system on almost every swing. Davis does a nice job but she's not a setter. Let Hayley set and Tatum pass and see what happens. Season is on the short side now, not many matches left to experiment.

Sorry if you misread my statements intention. I agree about Bush and what a middles role is. I also think your dead on with the ball control comments. What I was trying to say, is that if it was as simple as running a slide to get Legg and Ryles offense moving, Hailey and Tasha/Andy and staff would be doing that.

Is that you Sandman? Did you just compare NKY high school setters to Micha Hancock...the National POY, best setter to play the game in the past ten years who also happens to be left handed, who also happened to play with an AA middle and another middle who will be AA this year...think maybe all of those things had to do with her 'hitting' success?

Taking nothing away from Borders or any of the setters listed but the comparison you made is simply out of line and holds no merit.

Comparing anyone to Mica and Penn State is difficult, so I didn't do that.

I merely used an example of a great hitting team and a great setter to express how Borders game isn't necessarily only because her team needs offense. Being an attacking setter is a skill that can be used regardless of your surrounding players.

This was a good match to watch. Even the JV match was fun (Raiders won in three). Someone mentioned H. Bush delivered a missile to one of the Cooper players' heads...it's true, looked like she was stunned for a few seconds. Now I understand why C. Barber wears a helmet! Was waiting in line at the concession stand before varsity match, heard two women say there's a rumor two of the Cooper girls are transferring to Ryle next year. Hmmm, very interesting! Also completely unsubstantiated.

This was a good match to watch. Even the JV match was fun (Raiders won in three). Someone mentioned H. Bush delivered a missile to one of the Cooper players' heads...it's true, looked like she was stunned for a few seconds. Now I understand why C. Barber wears a helmet! Was waiting in line at the concession stand before varsity match, heard two women say there's a rumor two of the Cooper girls are transferring to Ryle next year. Hmmm, very interesting! Also completely unsubstantiated.

Nothing better than "unsubstantiated rumors" to make threads interesting. :lol2:

There's a rumor two of the Cooper girls are transferring to Ryle next year. Hmmm, very interesting! Also completely unsubstantiated.

I doubt it would be any of the current juniors, especially If the coaching situation is addressed. But could you imagine what a team Ryle could build with their current team and Bush setting Cooper's hitters and Rupel playing DS or 6 rotation OH?? They would be so fun to watch!!

Edited by MyShadow

wxyz..... do you realize that Borders is not even left handed? She ran a 6-2 with Julia Klute her last Club season and did a lot of hitting both left and right handed. If you're going to base your observations of the few school matches you may have seen her play, then you are not getting the whole picture at all. Her blocking stats are awesome too. As captain, her strong net presence and leadership definitely helps Boone win games.

wxyz..... do you realize that Borders is not even left handed? She ran a 6-2 with Julia Klute her last Club season and did a lot of hitting both left and right handed. If you're going to base your observations of the few school matches you may have seen her play, then you are not getting the whole picture at all. Her blocking stats are awesome too. As captain, her strong net presence and leadership definitely helps Boone win games.

Ok...and your point is???

She played for BCVC for a few years, then Xtreme (although she was invited to play at NKYVC last year) and this year she will be with NKJV. Talent doesn't come in the form of the club team you play for or the school team you play for; it comes from the individual. Good coaches are everywhere, even at less "premier" clubs, and to not recognize individual talent simply because they are not on the premier club teams or best school teams is not only commonplace in NKY, but it is a travesty. Borders has many colleges recruiting her from all athletic divisions. According to her parents, she is still making college visits and has yet to make a decision. She is an excellent student and will probably be able to get her college paid for, whether through athletic or academic scholarships. My kid has played with her in the past and I am still friends with the family. Hard work and dedication bring rewards. Let it be a lesson to all the players out there who are told if they aren't on the winning teams or best clubs, they don't have a chance! I've heard that said with my own ears, several times. It simply isn't true.