Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cooper 3 Ryle 0

Featured Replies

She played for BCVC for a few years, then Xtreme (although she was invited to play at NKYVC last year) and this year she will be with NKJV. Talent doesn't come in the form of the club team you play for or the school team you play for; it comes from the individual. Good coaches are everywhere, even at less "premier" clubs, and to not recognize individual talent simply because they are not on the premier club teams or best school teams is not only commonplace in NKY, but it is a travesty. Borders has many colleges recruiting her from all athletic divisions. According to her parents, she is still making college visits and has yet to make a decision. She is an excellent student and will probably be able to get her college paid for, whether through athletic or academic scholarships. My kid has played with her in the past and I am still friends with the family. Hard work and dedication bring rewards. Let it be a lesson to all the players out there who are told if they aren't on the winning teams or best clubs, they don't have a chance! I've heard that said with my own ears, several times. It simply isn't true.

 

I am sure she is an awesome kid and good volleyball player. I have never seen her play. Just not sure why you called me out, implying I said she wasn't good or something.

 

My reply to Sandman that merely mentioned Borders was calling out Sandman for comparing NKY setters' attacking stats to Micha Hancock's. No one in the nation can compare to Hancock, Borders or otherwise. Sorry if you misunderstood.

  • Replies 47
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mentioned Micah was "also" left handed and I wondered if you were trying to indicate that Borders was too. Perhaps that's not what you meant, but that's what it looked like. I did not thing Sandman's post was comparing the two at all, but simply stating she's not the only one who does it. Personally, when I ever get the opportunity to see Boone play, I love to watch her slam a kill with her non-dominant hand. Almost every team speaks of "shutting the Boone setter down" so that speaks volumes for her. Now, I'm on to the next subject.....

I wouldn't say Alli Borders is one of the strongest setters in the region. She is forced to be their #2 hitter on the team as a setter, so she constantly dumps and pushes the ball over. I wouldn't say that makes her a strong setter, but she definitely loves to compete.

 

VOLLEYFAN ...it appears your beef is with Volleyblogger. He/she is the one who called out Borders setting ability.

You mentioned Micah was "also" left handed and I wondered if you were trying to indicate that Borders was too. Perhaps that's not what you meant, but that's what it looked like. I did not thing Sandman's post was comparing the two at all, but simply stating she's not the only one who does it. Personally, when I ever get the opportunity to see Boone play, I love to watch her slam a kill with her non-dominant hand. Almost every team speaks of "shutting the Boone setter down" so that speaks volumes for her. Now, I'm on to the next subject.....

 

Setters attacking with their left hand (whether it is their dominant hand or not) is a skill most top tier setters have in their repertoire by their 16's-17's club season. Again, I am sure Borders is a good player just not sure left handed attacking from the setting position sets her apart from the rest of the "elite" level setters. It's actually pretty common.

VOLLEYFAN ...it appears your beef is with Volleyblogger. He/she is the one who called out Borders setting ability.

 

I didn't call her out because I didn't bring her into the conversation. But if you're going to call her an elite level setter, yeah I'm going to disagree. She does a good job for Boone County, sure. But how does Boone County fit into the bigger picture? They don't. She is one of the better setters in northern Kentucky. That's about as far as I would go. You put her, Anna Zweibel and Hayley Bush in a gym together and then you can tell me which ones are "elite level setters".

I didn't call her out because I didn't bring her into the conversation. But if you're going to call her an elite level setter, yeah I'm going to disagree. She does a good job for Boone County, sure. But how does Boone County fit into the bigger picture? They don't. She is one of the better setters in northern Kentucky. That's about as far as I would go. You put her, Anna Zweibel and Hayley Bush in a gym together and then you can tell me which ones are "elite level setters".

 

Please note I put " " around elite for a reason. Some on this site have a very limited exposure base and their view on certain players is based on that. I assume that is the issue with Volleyfan, I don't know. The fact that Volleyfan is very impressed with left handed attacking by a setter tells me I may be on to something.

 

Of course, I realize this player is probably not "elite" when compared to the Zweibels, Bushes and even Talkers of the world, but admittedly, I have not seen her play.

 

However, just the fact that she is an unsigned senior setter tells me all I need to know. I am sure she is a nice player for Boone County and Midwest/NKJV.

Wow, I'm not sure what purpose you all feel your serving. There is no reason to drag a kid you've never seen down.... just let it pass. I do. I don't slam kids I haven't (or in some cases, have) seen. I brag on ones I have that I feel are worth mentioning, and applaud them regardless of affiliation. I don't know Borders from adam, never met the parents, cousins, or neighbors. But I know she's a good setter, and one of the top in NKY.

 

The fact that a kid is not a signed recruit as a senior only tells you the kids is an unsigned senior. Signed sophomores and Juniors tell me mom and dad got on the recruiting ball early or on time, not that unsigned seniors are not worth signing....

Not everybody's parents pay NCSA as 8th or freshman to market their kids. Not every program has a recruiting adviser. And not every team plays venues where most college coaches are at. Most parents have zero clue how recruiting works. It's been said that she IS being recruited and hasn't decided.... isn't that enough????

  • Author

There is a HUGE difference between being recruited and holding actual offers. "Elite" setters will be recruited and offered by their soph year or earlier. I don't doubt that she is being recruited but most elite programs or bigger D1 should have their setter for 2016.

There is a HUGE difference between being recruited and holding actual offers. "Elite" setters will be recruited and offered by their soph year or earlier. I don't doubt that she is being recruited but most elite programs or bigger D1 should have their setter for 2016.

My friend.... you need to learn more about the recruiting process. Yes, the studs of the top 50 programs are generally recruited by sophomore year, but that leaves a lot of kids waiting till Jr or Sr. year. Also with the carousel of coaching being what it is there are many scholarships that get rescinded and offered all the way until Jr. or Sr. year. The recruiting game has changed..... a lot. Mid Major D1 and D2 don't generally start offering until Sept. Jr year, and that doesn't even start to begin talking about NAIA and D2.

  • Author

My "friend"...My comment was specific to ELITE players. And I went through the recruiting process with BOTH of my daughters. One plays for UCLA and one plays for UCONN. So yes my friend I have had experience with higher D1 and mid D1 within the last 4 years. How about you??

My "friend"...My comment was specific to ELITE players. And I went through the recruiting process with BOTH of my daughters. One plays for UCLA and one plays for UCONN. So yes my friend I have had experience with higher D1 and mid D1 within the last 4 years. How about you??

Congratulations on your good fortune, however it doesn't change the truth of what I said. "Elite" players are rare, so if those are the only players we are going to speak of it's going to be a short conversation. D1 consists of 15% of scholarships. Elite D1 is around 2-3%, depending on your definition.

  • Author

They are very blessed - thank you! And I actually agree - elite players are extremely rare! That was my whole point! An elite setter will not normally still be visiting schools in their sr year unless something unforeseen happens. BUT.... then you had to be insulting and assume that I needed to learn more about the recruiting process? Tell ya what...when you have been through it like myself and a few others on this board, I will be more than happy to continue this conversation...so, until then "my friend".

Edited by MyShadow

They are very blessed - thank you! And I actually agree - elite players are extremely rare! That was my whole point! An elite setter will not normally still be visiting schools in their sr year unless something unforeseen happens. BUT.... then you had to be insulting and assume that I needed to learn more about the recruiting process? Tell ya what...when you have been through it like myself and a few others on this board, I will be more than happy to continue this conversation...so, until then "my friend".

 

Ok.... So in summary you refuse to refute anything I said other then to lecture me about "elite" players. I'm judging by your comments that the only scholarships worth having are D1, so anyone with a D2, D3, NAIA or JUCO aren't worth mentioning. Ill keep that in mind. Good day.

  • Author

Judging is a perfect word for what you are doing. Well said...

 

ANY scholarship that allows our daughters the chance for a free education (or partially) and participate in a sport they love is a true blessing. I was specifically taking about "elite" players. At no time did I mention any other division . Period. Yes, there are multiple opportunities for girls to play at many different levels . And their recruiting time lines are all different and changing. Does that validate what you are saying and help you get past this?

Referring back to Nicole Bruce transferring to Cooper and being able to play Varsity. She was a senior. I think it is allowed (continuing to play Varsity at another school) if the Coach and Athletic Director from the school she left, that being Conner, agree to it.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.