Newport Catholic 2 Cooper 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper conceded an own goal late in the match to give NCC the victory.

Cooper got on the board first off a corner that NCC was not able to clear away about midway through the first half. Cooper had a few opportunities in the first half that they were not able to convert on or they might have taken a larger lead into the half.

NCC pulled even on a long ball, I am not sure if it was a cross or a shot, either way, it found the back corner of the goal from about 40 yards out.

The last goal came off a clearance that hit another player and bounced back into the Cooper goal.

I thought the game was very rough and the ref seemed to have no control in the second half, I'm glad to see both teams get out of the match with no injuries.

Good luck to NCC the rest of the way.

So if I have this correct, NCC beat Cooper last year in regionals 6-0 and safe to assume the 2014 Cooper team is looking like a lot better version then the 2015 Cooper team?

And NCC just gets by the 2015 Cooper team on an own goal late in the game and what sounds like a once in 1000 tries lucky shot (or was it a cross) from 40 yards out.

What does this say about the 2015 NCC team?

So if I have this correct, NCC beat Cooper last year in regionals 6-0 and safe to assume the 2014 Cooper team is looking like a lot better version then the 2015 Cooper team?

And NCC just gets by the 2015 Cooper team on an own goal late in the game and what sounds like a once in 1000 tries lucky shot (or was it a cross) from 40 yards out.

What does this say about the 2015 NCC team?

Last year NCC lost 2-0 to Cooper in the regular season before beating them 6-0 in Regionals. I predict NCC will make Regionals again this year and be a tough out for whoever they face.

Again last year Cooper was much better, as I believe NCC was much better in 2014. I would be surprised if Cooper makes the Regional Tournament this year. NCC will if it goes the same as last year, only 2 teams played in the 36th District. Don't see NCC making a run deep in the Regional. IMO the 2015 NCC schedule, Cov Latin, Beechwood, Holmes, Villa, etc. is inexcusably weak and does nothing for them in preparing for mid October.

G

Again last year Cooper was much better, as I believe NCC was much better in 2014. I would be surprised if Cooper makes the Regional Tournament this year. NCC will if it goes the same as last year, only 2 teams played in the 36th District. Don't see NCC making a run deep in the Regional. IMO the 2015 NCC schedule, Cov Latin, Beechwood, Holmes, Villa, etc. is inexcusably weak and does nothing for them in preparing for mid October.

As a NCC supporter, I have to agree with you. Better depth last year. Seems that they increase intensity in second half of games but have continued to dig holes for themselves early that become hard to overcome with increased competition. They simply lack a lot of high quality players and depth. Playoffs not out of the question but deep run is unlikely.

I think this was the best I have seen Cooper play all season. Possession was controlled and some very good passes/crosses made. Many thru balls to Snow/Cooper and a couple others. Defense looked better as well.

One lost opportunity I blame on the field. Snow was dribbling in the box just to the right of the goal and it looked like the ball just stopped in a rut.

Ref was horrible. NCC player was carded within the first minute for no apparent reason. Only thing I can figure was his mouth. Allowed too much which led to many opportunities for players to "finish their checks". A player from each team took a high kick to the head with no card for either.

Glad to see both teams emerge seemingly uninjured.

First card was to the coach for the player wearing a bracelet. There should 9f been several cards though, such as a high boot cleats up to the head...

Wow! Of all things he issues a card for during this game, it was a bracelet!??

I'm with you, I saw many plays on both sides which could have warranted a card.

The bracelet is actually one the CR got correct.

I agree that there could have been several cards issued for "pushes" and "finishing checks". I would not have been surprised to see either kid get a straight red after the high kick to the head.

I felt that he pretty well lost control of the match after the first high kick which was done by a NCC player, in hindsight, if you do not issue a card for that.... how can you issue a card for the pushing and shoving that continued to go on afterwards. A Cooper player was guilty of the same thing, he appeared to kick a player from NCC in the head.... again no card, much to the dismay of the NCC coach.... I can't say that I disagree with his pleading for one.

I will say this, and you know how much I defend the refs in the area. Keith Hill ran/walked the center last night along with a crew that had no business doing a varsity match. The game got chippy and both teams should have been awarded a few cards. That was the worse display of officiating I have ever seen.

1 if you can't keep up with the play, time to hang up the whistle

2 if you can't see what iis going on in a play it's time to hang up the whistle

3 if you don't know the rules it's time to hang up the whistle

4 if you are doing it for extra money and not the love of the game it's time to hang up the whistle

OK about the game, Ncc haha hard working team that never once gave up. They fought until the very end of the game. Cooper had some really good chances early that they did not convert on, I thought that Cooper was the better team last night but as we all know the best team doesn't always win.

Hey dblyellow you guys are in better shape than Cooper, I'll give you that.

Is this cross country thread or a soccer thread?

I read a lot about NCC's conditioning (except for the St Henry All A match where some thought their lack conditioning was a factor). Who cares if your soccer team in early September is in a little better shape then your opponent?

When it only matters, mid October all teams should be in very good condition from playing a full season and by then the temperature is typically in 50s at best around game time.

I don't think he should have issued a card for the bracelet due to the inscription. From where I was sitting it looked like it said, "WWJD?"

:whistling:

just kidding. I was not at the match